Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Patrick Schroedl
  • 2 Post By STARGATE
  • 1 Post By soumian
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Default Travelling to the US, need suggestions and places to buy phone/tablet

Hi fellow AC readers, I don't have any friends in the US i can ask this things so this seemed to be an appropriate place to seek advice

So the thing is my folks are travelling to the US in 2 weeks, specifically to Naples, Florida. They are visiting a relative that lives there and will surely travel around because they are renting a car. I live in Argentina and phones here are quite expensive if you want to buy them unlocked so i was thinking of getting a phone (or maybe two) and a tablet but the problem is I have no idea where to buy them. The other thing is I don't want to spend more than $400 on a phone and around $300 for the tablet, my first thought was getting a Nexus 5 16GB and a 2013 Nexus 7 because they both fit in the price range and I really want to have a Nexus since they don't sell them here. So can you guys help me and give thought about what phones/tablets (including the N5 and N7) I could get in that price range and where to buy them?

Thanks in advanced!!

TL;DR: folks travelling to the US, need advice on where to buy Phone and Tablet, price range around 400 including VAT

Global Posts
    13,839 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Travelling to the US, need suggestions and places to buy phone/tablet

Well, there is the Moto G or X. Nexus devices will probably break you amount because of sales tax. As for Nexus Tablets, almost any retailer will sell them, but as they may be country coded, I am not sure if they will work well outside the U.S.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

Default Re: Travelling to the US, need suggestions and places to buy phone/tablet

I don't believe there are any country restrictions on the Nexus 5, aside from the differences in the two models:

D820, for North America
    LTE: Nine-band (1/2/3/4/17/19/25/26/41), supporting Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T, Canada, some networks in Asia, Africa, South America
    GSM/EDGE: Quad-band
    CDMA: 800/1900
    DC-HSPA+: Seven-band (1/2/4/5/6/8/19), supporting most networks outside North America

D821
    LTE: Six-band (1/3/5/7/8/20)
    GSM/EDGE: Quad-band
    DC-HSPA+: Six-band (1/2/4/5/6/8)

Argentina uses the same GSM standards as some of the U.S. networks; the North American model (D820) should work fine in Argentina at least as long as we're talking about Claro's HSPA+ service. There's reference information here:

If you're able to ship the device to your relatives' house, the Play Store may be an option. The Moto G recommendation is spot-on.
    Thanked by:
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

What about the credit card, does it have to be US based to buy the phone in the playstore? Estimated shipping time? (Folks will be there for just two weeks) Where can you gert the Moto G?

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    13,839 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by soumian View Post
    What about the credit card, does it have to be US based to buy the phone in the playstore? Estimated shipping time? (Folks will be there for just two weeks) Where can you gert the Moto G?

I think they have it for prepaid in blister packaging in stores like Best Buy.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    I think they have it for prepaid in blister packaging in stores like Best Buy.

Prepaid is like unlocked? What about buying the Nexus 5, is it only available at Play store for 350? Do I need a US credit card to get it from there or can I buy Google play gift cards for the amount of money? What about shipping time?

Global Posts
    13,839 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Prepaid is like unlocked? What about buying the Nexus 5, is it only available at Play store for 350? Do I need a US credit card to get it from there or can I buy Google play gift cards for the amount of money? What about shipping time?

I think it would be easier to unlock, especially if you can get it from AT&T or Tmobile. Shipping from Play may take a few business days. The amount of money could be used to buy Play cards, but tax would need to be calculated too. You might be able to buy one at an AT&T or Tmobile store.

I'm not sure about the restrictions regarding credit card information while purchasing inside the U.S., however you might look into picking up some sort of prepaid Mastercard (or Google Wallet, which I know is available in some form in Argentina). I can't say offhand whether or not that would work. Unfortunately, Google Play gift cards cannot be used for Play Store device or accessory purchases.

• Can only be used for purchases on Google Play.
    • Can only be used to purchase items sold in the same currency.
    • Cannot be combined with other forms of payment when making a purchase.
    • Cannot be used for any purchases on the devices section of Google Play (including phones, tablets, laptops, and accessories).
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Schroedl View Post
    I'm not sure about the restrictions regarding credit card information while purchasing inside the U.S., however you might look into picking up some sort of prepaid Mastercard (or Google Wallet, which I know is available in some form in Argentina). I can't say offhand whether or not that would work. Unfortunately, Google Play gift cards cannot be used for Play Store device or accessory purchases.

I know I can add a credit card to my Google account and purchase things but I can't access the device page because its not available here. Once I'm home I'll look into that, thanks!

Global Posts
    4,091 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Just so you know, my mom is able to use her credit card in the US when visiting from México.
    But I agree with Patrick about buying a prepaid Mastercard or Visa. You could get it almost anywhere here.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

Global Posts
    13,839 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

I think any major credit card would be accepted anywhere. I don't think Master card and Visa are only US entities.

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Ok I've been searching and i think i can get a VPN to make it look like i'm in the US and just buy the phone and get it to be delivered to my relatives house in the US. Even with taxes (which i think i could get a reimbursement at the airport) it's a really sweet deal so i do't have to think this twice. Thanks for the help!

Global Posts
    13,839 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Ok I've been searching and i think i can get a VPN to make it look like i'm in the US and just buy the phone and get it to be delivered to my relatives house in the US. Even with taxes (which i think i could get a reimbursement at the airport) it's a really sweet deal so i do't have to think this twice. Thanks for the help!
    Hope everything works out.

Global Posts
    4,091 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Good luck! 👍😃

If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

UPDATE:
    Had a lot of troubles trying to buy from the Play Store, most of them because of credit cards and the fact that i could not get into the /Device landing page to order my phones so i ended up buying them from Amazon where the price was around the 400. I bought a stormtrooper (white) and a black one so depending on which one i like the most i'll just sell the other one here, I just got the email from Amazon telling my package has been shipped so i'm incredibly happy, really I can't believe after this many years i'll finally have my own nexus device <3

Global Posts
    4,091 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Did you try to buy them while still in Argentina?
    If so, that was the problem.

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Well the thing is i just wanted to avoid my parents having to complete an order, use my google account and all that. Also I never knew the exact time the shipment would take so i couldn't risk the package being sent after they left relatives house.

Global Posts
    4,091 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Well the thing is i just wanted to avoid my parents having to complete an order, use my google account and all that. Also I never knew the exact time the shipment would take so i couldn't risk the package being sent after they left relatives house.
    Yea, that's true. Well, at least you still got a good deal! 👍😆

19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Yup, i'll post pictures once my folks are back home, which will happen in a week or so.

Global Posts
    4,091 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Entonces tu no andas acá en USA, solo tus padres?
    Porqué?

21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Nope, got to work here. No vacations for me this year, maybe i can take one week on winter

Global Posts
    4,091 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Yea, I know how it is. I haven't been on vacation for a while. 😟

My wife wants to go to México to see her parents but there's not enough money for that. At least my Mom came from México last year to be here with us for about 2 months.

23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Both N7 and N5 are home now <3
    I can't believe this phone, coming from a Captivate with barely 512MB of RAM and hardly running Android 4.2.2, the N5 is just a dream. Now i can do some real multitasking, the speed, the screen, it's too much to take in. Only complain is the battery and the size, it's hard to reach the top and the bottom of the phone but i will just get used to it because i loooove the screen and about the battery its still better than my old phone and it last a day which is what i need.
    Thanks again to everyone for their answers!!
    STARGATE likes this.

Global Posts
    4,091 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

I'm glad you have the devices already.
    Now to enjoy them as much as possible! 👍😆