Google please stop trying to get me to use your social network.

barth2

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I use gmail. I use google search every where. I use google maps. I use chrome. I use picasa. I have a nexus 7 and use the play store.

I get that google scan my email and searches and purchases to show ads to me. Ok, that's a fair exchange.

But is this enough for google? No. What they want is to tie everything up and connect it to g+.

I have zero interest in g+. I am not on Facebook either, I have an anon twitter account so I can follow a few funny people. That's all the social networking I want to do.

I don't want everything I do on line to be tied to my real identity and email. No I am not a pedophile or terrorist or anything. I just don't need everyone to know my business.

Already google somehow tied my YouTube nym with my gmail account. I don't know how that happened. In a moment of inattention, I must have clicked yes to something. I can't figure out how to undo it.

The way google keeps trying to shove g+ down my throat I know one of these days I will slip up and then boom I'm on g+. Heck, I may already be on g+.

Somebody is going to tell me to just quit using google. Love it or leave it, right? But that is not useful or practical. The choices can't be either accept everything a company does or go find another. Especially when it is one as dominant and ubiquitous as google.

Their latest move with letting people on g+ email you shows they want to constantly push the envelope and back up upon protest. But each time, they will move the line ever so closer to maximal intrusion and exposure.

Their motto is don't be evil. How about don't be creepy. Don't be annoying.

Slaytor Z

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Well I agree. Google is a good company, but their g+ division is the persistent, annoying little brother that keeps butting in on everyone's business.

I don't use gmail at all, and fortunately that seems to have alleviated some of the g+ nagging. Do you absolutey need gmail? Or is changing email addresses an option?

Otherwise I'd suggest just saying not today! to anything about g+ ;) not much else that can be done!

BTW did you know that with youtube you can change your channel name as many times as you like? though it won't change your URL. Ironically, this is done through g+

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
The only way ive found to go to YouTube without getting asked to join g+ and merge is to keep signed out of Google. I had to download Thunderbird email client just so that I can have access to gmail/etc, and visit YouTube without getting hassled. Ridic.

And btw, look through your account to see if you are g+, you probably are. Fortunately it only takes about 6 or 7 screens to de+. But then you'll be hassled every time you go to youtube.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
The irony is that they can't possibly be getting accurate information about how people use G+ because of how they force people to use it. There's no way they can possibly improve it to where people will want to use it because so few people use it as intended. They're stuck just making changes they think people want based on how they're forcing us to use it rather than how anyone wants to use it. It's bound to fail eventually.

anon(13322)

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I agree. I have no interest in Google+, but Google is persistent in forcing people to use it. It's quite annoying.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

sauce_a_poutine

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Facebook's popularity caused the jealous, knee-jerk "Me too" reaction which lead to the creation of this monster. It did not appeal to anyone. Google doesn't like failure. The manager in charge of the G+ project got scared for his job, and decided to strong-arm users into it by leveraging service that actually had popularity. Much like Microsoft tried to Force DotNet, Bing and Internet Explorer down people's throats...

The negative effect of this BS will not go away. Sadly, managers typically deal with "the present and situation at hand", and rarely show due diligence and respect for customers and users. Their positions of power causes them to loose perspective on the fact that contrary to employees, Irate customers and users can leave. Typically, managers do meet short term goals with mild user bullying, but in the long run, users get fed up and leave, and managers can't do anything about it.

Facebook, is starting to fall from grace, but unfortunately, I fear that the corporate inertia in big shops like Google will keep G+ bullying alive for some time yet.

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I like G+. I think it's awesome to get a continuous feed of all my hobbies and interests from all of the Communities I joined. I use G+ kind of like a mega-magazine that has all of my interests in it that also allows interactions with the post writers as well as the readers. I've engaged in discussions with others about certain favorite authors, some history and philosophy discussions, read and discussed numerous tech news items, etc. Hell, I even got advice on how to attack and defend in a Clash of Clans community :p

Now as for Facebook, you know what I got (note the past tense) from Facebook? Fat cousins constantly telling us all about their latest diet, hordes of mind numbing cat and dog pictures, countless re-shares of meme images that aren't even funny, people quoting some of the dumbest sh*t I ever read from some ***** actor, artist, terrible writer, and other nonsense. The best thing I ever took from Facebook was that it illustrated WHY we don't make an effort to stay in touch with those people unless it can be done easily by clicking a button.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Sick of G+ being forced down my throat. I create a side YouTube account to make comments, but even then for some reason I can't leave YouTube comments using Chrome without adblocking on both linux and windows, the only browser that work is Internet Explorer. Not even mobile agent strings or on my phone browser work unless I use YouTube app, which I do not log into.

I stopped reviewing PlayStore apps because of it too. If you have the very old Market apps (pre-PlayStore), it can review and leave an anonymous name (a Google user), but it crashed when try to review purchased app, at least for me while on an Android 4.x device, maybe Android 2.x can do it without crashing, but I'm not going to bother using Gingerbread just to review app, and besides it won't be compatible with 4.x apps.

I guess in the end of the day its a good things since I don't have to waste time with all that.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I am one of the biggest Google Fanboys on Earth, but I have really come to despise Google+. It is to Google what Metro is to Windows 8. It needs to die.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Sick of G+ being forced down my throat. I create a side YouTube account to make comments, but even then for some reason I can't leave YouTube comments using Chrome without adblocking on both linux and windows, the only browser that work is Internet Explorer. Not even mobile agent strings or on my phone browser work unless I use YouTube app, which I do not log into.

I stopped reviewing PlayStore apps because of it too. If you have the very old Market apps (pre-PlayStore), it can review and leave an anonymous name (a Google user), but it crashed when try to review purchased app, at least for me while on an Android 4.x device, maybe Android 2.x can do it without crashing, but I'm not going to bother using Gingerbread just to review app, and besides it won't be compatible with 4.x apps.

I guess in the end of the day its a good things since I don't have to waste time with all that.

I ended up deleting my Google Plus.

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I am one of the biggest Google Fanboys on Earth, but I have really come to despise Google+. It is to Google what Metro is to Windows 8. It needs to die.

I have a HP Split X2 and I love Metro. Even when I had a cheap HP laptop with windows 8 and no touchscreen I liked it. Its faster and more fluid than 7. I also like the Start screen personalization options in windows 8.1.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a HP Split X2 and I love Metro. Even when I had a cheap HP laptop with windows 8 and no touchscreen I liked it. Its faster and more fluid than 7. I also like the Start screen personalization options in windows 8.1.
It IS faster and more fluid than Windows 7. Thats why I like it too.

I hate the Metro UI on the desktop...it makes the same tasks take longer. Newer UIs should be easier to use, not harder. ClassicShell made Win8 usable for me. Metro was a chore.

Really the most annoying thing in the beginning was that Microsoft would not allow me to bypass it at boot up. That is very similar to Google+ and how Google is trying to force us to like it.

1526624_10152224084353885_1719282255_n.jpg

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
It IS faster and more fluid than Windows 7. Thats why I like it too.

I hate the Metro UI on the desktop...it makes the same tasks take longer. Newer UIs should be easier to use, not harder. ClassicShell made Win8 usable for me. Metro was a chore.

Really the most annoying thing in the beginning was that Microsoft would not allow me to bypass it at boot up. That is very similar to Google+ and how Google is trying to force us to like it.

View attachment 101156

Seeing as Metro is the focus of Windows 8 I can see why its hard to past by it at boot up. Also where did you run into Metro on the desktop?

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I enjoy the Modern UI as something fresh, attractive, and differentiating on mobile devices but yeah, I see no point in having it on a PC either

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Seeing as Metro is the focus of Windows 8
It should not be the focus. The focus is the smooth UI and under the hood improvements. Metro UI itself is completely superfluous. It adds no functionality and actually makes some tasks take longer.

Metro attempted to fix something that was not broken.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
It should not be the focus. The focus is the smooth UI and under the hood improvements. Metro UI itself is completely superfluous. It adds no functionality and actually makes some tasks take longer.

Metro attempted to fix something that was not broken.

With windows 8 Microsoft is trying to differentiate, and look what happened. We know have everything from touch screen laptops to ultrabook like tablets. I think that is amazing. It forced computer manufacturers to do something different.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
With windows 8 Microsoft is trying to differentiate, and look what happened. We know have everything from touch screen laptops to ultrabook like tablets. I think that is amazing. It forced computer manufacturers to do something different.
Different is not necessarily better. And Change for the sake of change alone is a bad reason to change. If Microsoft made Windows controls only accessible with gamepads, it would be different but not better.

An OS is a tool, not a piece of art. Its not just me that thinks this...look at the backlash from users themselves. Look at the sinking sales figures. Windows 8 adoption has been awful...worse than Vista. If it were not shoehorned onto all new PCs it would be even worse.

win8vsvista-583x342.png

Source - Windows 8 continues to fail | ZDNet

Windows 8 is still a great OS. But not because of metro. Metro has added nothing to it IMO.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Different is not necessarily better. And Change for the sake of change alone is a bad reason to change. If Microsoft made Windows controls only accessible with gamepads, it would be different but not better.

An OS is a tool, not a piece of art. Its not just me that thinks this...look at the backlash from users themselves. Look at the sinking sales figures. Windows 8 adoption has been awful...worse than Vista. If it were not shoehorned onto all new PCs it would be even worse.

http://cdn-static.zdnet.com/i/r/story/70/00/016222/win8vsvista-583x342.png?hash=MwV2MzExZm&upscale=1
Source - Windows 8 continues to fail | ZDNet

Windows 8 is still a great OS. But not because of metro. Metro has added nothing to it IMO.

Exactly your opinion. I'm sure there are other besides my self who disagree with you. Metro is all the focus of Windows 8 and on too of that the PC Market is shrinking so I would think Windows 8 adoption is slow.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000