1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

Default Google Hangouts - iPhone vs Android, my big beefs

I hope this isn't a rehash of arguments or posts from yesteryear, but I didn't see much on the search. A little back story on my mobile usage scenario:
    -Verizon iPhone (work)
    -Sprint Galaxy S3 (personal phone)
    -Google Voice sprint integration enabled on personal phone
    -Google Hangouts installed on both devices

Here's my beef... On the Android version of Hangouts, I can text message or video hangout no problem. Same goes for the hangouts on iPhone. Both work together rather seamlessly. IPhone has one killer feature though... I can use hangouts to dial a phone number, and the call goes through my Google Voice number from hangouts to the number I'm calling. This works over wifi (with the same or better call quality as a regular phone call). The negatives? I have to know the number I'm calling. The hangouts app won't let me pull up my Gmail/voice contacts to call someone, It's just a raw un-integrated dial pad. Wtf!

On the flip side, Android hangouts doesn't even have this option at all. No calling from hangouts period, end of story. Wtf!?

Long story short, why can't I make the same calls from hangouts on Android as I can from iphone? Also, why doesn't the calling feature access my Google contacts so I can make a call from there instead of having to memorize the number?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills... I can't be alone in this though. What are your thoughts? To me, nothing is cooler than being on my work phone (iPhone) and getting a call to my personal phone, which is not on my person during the day. This call then comes through Google hangouts on my iPhone, gives me a notification, and the option to pick up. That is just plain bad assery, no matter how you cut it. Let's close the obvious gaps here and move on into 2013!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Google Hangouts - iPhone vs Android, my big beefs

Hangouts should be getting phone integration on android in May.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    Hangouts should be getting phone integration on android in May.

Nice! Where'd you read that?

Quote Originally Posted by Dnomyar220 View Post
    Nice! Where'd you read that?

It's speculation, but Google had announced they're cutting all 3rd party apps Google Voice apps off in May. The consensus is that they want hangouts to take over all communication functions.

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    It's speculation, but Google had announced they're cutting all 3rd party apps Google Voice apps off in May. The consensus is that they want hangouts to take over all communication functions.

What's this have to do with iOS version having more function than the Android version? Why does iOS always have the better version? The same happened with Google Maps.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

Quote Originally Posted by Fr0gburp3r View Post
    What's this have to do with iOS version having more function than the Android version? Why does iOS always have the better version? The same happened with Google Maps.
    I hope that much like Google maps, the Android version catches up. The only problem with this extra feature of calling numbers from the iOS version of Hangouts is the inability to access your Gmail contacts to find a number. You have to have it memorized.