Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Sizzers
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Android OG

ROM
    Stock (for now)

Default Data Reduction in Chrome

So Chrome was recently updated with this new feature to reduce bandwidth by proxy re-direction which ultimately leads to a reduction in data. My questions are:
    Doesn't this seem a little too good to be true?
    Are there downsides to this, such as slower speeds or loading?
    I assume this feature only pertains to when on mobile networks because reducing bandwidth on WiFi would be a bit useless?

Default Re: Data Reduction in Chrome

Not too good to be true...it is true. Not all data can go through those filters, though (mostly video, streaming stuff, etc.). If the proxy or compression server gets overloaded, you would see slower speeds as this does get processed somewhere else, so there is the risk of that happening (but not too much since this is Google...they've got the crunching power for it).

As for the feature not being useful for WiFi, well... It depends. For most of us, WiFi is still unlimited, but in some countries (and yeah, lo and behold that US companies are headed that way, too) ISPs have also set data caps for their services, so WiFi compression would make sense there, too.
    Thanked by:

I used the data reduction option in the older versions but you had to go to chrome flags to set it.

My Nexus 5 and 2012 Nexus 7 tablet, both running Kitkat, received the chrome update this morning. In the app store it tells you to go to settings->bandwidth management to set the option.

On my Nexus 5 the option is not present.

On my Nexus 7 the option is there.

So why doesn't my Nexus 5 get the bandwidth reduction option????

Quote Originally Posted by jerrod6 View Post
    I used the data reduction option in the older versions but you had to go to chrome flags to set it.

My Nexus 5 and 2012 Nexus 7 tablet, both running Kitkat, received the chrome update this morning. In the app store it tells you to go to settings->bandwidth management to set the option.

On my Nexus 5 the option is not present.

On my Nexus 7 the option is there.

So why doesn't my Nexus 5 get the bandwidth reduction option????
    are you running Chrome 32? did you do a restart after the update?

I thought it was only on the beta or dev version? Has it hit the 'official' version yet? I saw an update yesterday but didn't really pay attention to the changelog :P hehe (I'm still on an unlimited data cap, so I don't really mind :P)

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    I thought it was only on the beta or dev version? Has it hit the 'official' version yet? I saw an update yesterday but didn't really pay attention to the changelog :P hehe (I'm still on an unlimited data cap, so I don't really mind :P)
    Chrome 32.

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    are you running Chrome 32? did you do a restart after the update?
    Thanks for our reply. It could have been that I didn't restart the app but I never do that after an update from the play store and the updated function is just there. I am not sure...anyway I checked the Nexus 5 later this afternoon and the option appears. Strange. What happen was I had plugged in my turned on N5 to charge overnight. This morning I went to it and I had 2 notices stating and Google calendar required Google Play services to be installed(never seen this before), then there were 3 apps to be updated. I went to my apps, read the app notes for Chrome installed it, then went to swiftkey read the app notes and installed it. Went back to chrome to check and there was no data compression option in bandwidth. Then I installed the last app and put the phone down.

Got my N7 tab,turned it on there were the updates for 3 apps. I did the exact same thing with the tablet, and when I checked chrome the bandwidth setting appears.

Had breakfast, used one other app on the phone, got washed up, went to the gym, came home had lunch then picked up the phone and the bandwidth setting is there.

I don't know what the answer is but I am happy the option is now there!

What's with the Google Services update message? I thought it did that automatically,never seen this before.

Anyway I am happy now.

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Opera Mini also does data compression to help cut data on your network. I didn't see any real delays with getting the data. I would say the same is true with the latest Chrome update to compress data. Technically, there might be slight, unnoticeable delay since it's going through a proxy. But nothing to worry about. For those on caped data plans you should definitely consider something like this.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

i feel like it makes browsing faster. less data to push.

I would use this but I don't want Google knowing everything I browse on the internet.

Sent from my out-of-this-world Galaxy S3

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by neonworm View Post
    I would use this but I don't want Google knowing everything I browse on the internet.

Sent from my out-of-this-world Galaxy S3
    Like they don't already?
    Putting out fire with gasoline
    SpookDroid and neonworm like this.

Yes I used this when it was only available by setting it in Chrome flags so I am glad they finally moved it to a production status.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  
    Android OG

ROM
    Stock (for now)

So...Speed is not compromised by using this option?

Quote Originally Posted by Masheen View Post
    So...Speed is not compromised by using this option?
    No. Speed is actually increased when you enable data compression.
    Thanked by: