Any advice for weening off of apple?

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I pretty much decided that my next phone probaly will not be a iPhone. I'm about ready to go back to android for my phone AND tablet (I already own a nexus 7). I simply am not a fan of the closed model anymore , and want something open like android.

But I can't switch phones yet , I still need to pat the 544 dollars remaining on this phone and I also have cat repairs.

So in the mean time , what are things I can do to make that later switch as painless as possible? I already use chrome , gmail, and I'm going to start buying music off amazon . I also have my music in google music and in amazon cloud player.

Is the only other thing I can do is just not buy anymore ios apps and continue to not buy iTunes videos or movies?

I'm going to be bummed losing my purchased ios apps, though. But not much I can do about that I guess. May keep the iPad so I at least have access to those.

And I guess the Apple TV I own is still a good net flicks streamer.

Any thoughts?

Gbsa

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Don't forget to sign out of imessage, you won't receive texts from other iphone users if your still signed in

sent from my galaxy note 2

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I pretty much decided that my next phone probaly will not be a iPhone. I'm about ready to go back to android for my phone AND tablet (I already own a nexus 7). I simply am not a fan of the closed model anymore , and want something open like android.

But I can't switch phones yet , I still need to pat the 544 dollars remaining on this phone and I also have cat repairs.

So in the mean time , what are things I can do to make that later switch as painless as possible? I already use chrome , gmail, and I'm going to start buying music off amazon . I also have my music in google music and in amazon cloud player.

Is the only other thing I can do is just not buy anymore ios apps and continue to not buy iTunes videos or movies?

I'm going to be bummed losing my purchased ios apps, though. But not much I can do about that I guess. May keep the iPad so I at least have access to those.

And I guess the Apple TV I own is still a good net flicks streamer.

Any thoughts?

Well, as you are now planning to shift from iOS to Android, you need to keep care of certain things to make your movement from the iOS to the Android painless, like you said that you are buying music from amazon and you are already on chrome and gmail. Yes you are correct just don't buy more iOS apps as you are sure that those purchases aren't going to work anymore with Android system, But i have an idea for saving your purchases from the Apple store and that is continue using, you are not going to get the feature that iOS has in Android. There is no doubt as the trends are changing and Android is becoming more acceptable but you must not forget the security with iOS. Keep on using iOS and if still you don't agree with me an feel like not using iOS then exchange it with me :-$

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I am 100% Android and I still use iTunes. But I keep all my music on local storage. After I buy, the first thing I do is immediately convert to Mp3 and store it myself. iTunes does not manage my music so I am never dependent on it.

I'm going to be bummed losing my purchased ios apps, though. But not much I can do about that I guess.
This is why I tell people not to go to Apple in the first place. Apple designs their system with this in mind.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I am 100% Android and I still use iTunes. But I keep all my music on local storage. After I buy, the first thing I do is immediately convert to Mp3 and store it myself. iTunes does not manage my music so I am never dependent on it.

This is why I tell people not to go to Apple in the first place. Apple designs their system with this in mind.

We'll, it's the same thing if I did the opposite and went from android to ios. I'd still lose those purchased apps.

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I would just keep your ipad for them apps have the best of both android and ios. As to what is better than the other is an endless debate. Ios is secure yes and stable or perhaps that is past tense lol

Android is the more exciting though and apple and ios are for the bland dull and non adventurous.

Posted via Android Central using both my Note 3 & Nexus 5 magic eh lol

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Rebuying apps will just be a bullet you'll have to bite. If you keep the iPad, you may end up buying an app twice just because you are still in both ecosystems.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Is android stable and fast ? Because I'm having lag issues with my 2013 nexus 7. Also, getting some app crashes. It's the reason I keep factoring restoring it to see if it'll fix those issues. But maybe the restores are hurting it.

Gbsa

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Is android stable and fast ? Because I'm having lag issues with my 2013 nexus 7. Also, getting some app crashes. It's the reason I keep factoring restoring it to see if it'll fix those issues. But maybe the restores are hurting it.

I don't have that problem with my note 2. I think it may be older than your nexus 7, not sure tho and I had it flashed to Ppc so it's still running 4.1.2

sent from my galaxy note 2

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Android definitely isn't as stable as iOS. I've been frequently frustrated by software incompatibility (hey Square Enix, I don't mind paying your ridiculous prices but come on now, why can't my flagship devices play your games?) What you sacrifice in stability you make up for with more customization and a larger software library. To me it is a fair tradeoff.

Android has its problems when you try to run it on a low end device (though newer versions are optimized pretty well for some of the junk phones/tablets that vendors are pushing) but a flagship like the 2013 Nexus 7 shouldn't give you a lot of problems. My 2012 model still runs everything great. It is slower than my Note 3 but the Note 3 is one of the most powerful phones on the market right now, so I'm fine with that.

Have you installed anything that might be gumming the N7 up? Because it is generally super responsive out of the box.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
You'd end up losing less money, since Android apps are often cheaper and there are usually ad-based alternatives. iOS is mostly a paid platform.

Both good and bad. One of the things I don't like on Android are apps that don't provide an add free alternative. There are several apps I used on iOS (paid), but on Android they only have add versions. Some of the adds can be very annoying.

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Gradually reduce from 5 apple's a day to 4 and so on so forth. WARNING don't suddenly stop you may not be able to function in direct sunlight.

Posted via Android Central App

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Both good and bad. One of the things I don't like on Android are apps that don't provide an add free alternative. There are several apps I used on iOS (paid), but on Android they only have add versions. Some of the adds can be very annoying.
I agree actually. But on Android you will end up paying less if you decide to move to iOS.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I agree actually. But on Android you will end up paying less if you decide to move to iOS.

I think moving to android is a better long term move because of the apple lock in, but right now I'm having conflicts. Probaly just need to bite the bullet. Otherwise I'll just keep mulling and go back and forth .

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Android definitely isn't as stable as iOS. I've been frequently frustrated by software incompatibility (hey Square Enix, I don't mind paying your ridiculous prices but come on now, why can't my flagship devices play your games?) What you sacrifice in stability you make up for with more customization and a larger software library. To me it is a fair tradeoff.

Android has its problems when you try to run it on a low end device (though newer versions are optimized pretty well for some of the junk phones/tablets that vendors are pushing) but a flagship like the 2013 Nexus 7 shouldn't give you a lot of problems. My 2012 model still runs everything great. It is slower than my Note 3 but the Note 3 is one of the most powerful phones on the market right now, so I'm fine with that.

Have you installed anything that might be gumming the N7 up? Because it is generally super responsive out of the box.

I can't think of anything that would be doing it. I can list the apps I have on it, but as far as I can tell there all we'll known or widely used apps. So they shouldn't be causing issues, right?

My main complaint is there's some touch response and input lag. Like with keypresses not registering on the keyboard sometimes or when playing games there's occasionally unregistered taps like when trying to get sonic to jump in sonic cd.

And when I go back to the home screen some widgets take a second to pop in.

I don't know if I got a virus from something I streamed on the internet or a site I went to or what. Don't even know if that's possible.

It's not that it's unusable, it's just a tad annoying.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I'd don't have the N7 (2013), but I have the much slower N4 and I don't have any of your lag or touch response issue, could be the digitizer of your tablet not being sensitive maybe. Digitizer issues for Asus is not uncommon.

As for lag, you should factory reset it and enable ART. Again I have no lag or response issue on my much slower N4 phone (running pure stock).

Maybe give the LG Gpad Google edition a try.

You can look at all your paid iOS apps and calculate how much they all would cost to buy on Android. The thing with Android is there are lots of great free apps so you might not necessarily need to pay as much, and supporting an entire family who use Apple only I can attest to this.

I can't disagree enough when people say Android isn't as stable as iOS. I simply do not get app crashes or reboot on my N4 (unless I'm installing custom roms and messing around) But maybe I have a bit more experience and using stock android instead of bloated UI also help.

sent via tapatalk

Last edited:

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I'd don't have the N7, but I have the much slower N4 and I don't have any of your lag or touch response issue, could be the digitizer of your tablet not being sensitive maybe. Digitizer issues for Asus is not uncommon.

As for lag, you should factory reset it and enable ART. Again I have no lag or response issue on my much slower N4 phone (running pure stock).

Maybe give the LG Gpad Google edition a try.

You can look at all your paid iOS apps and calculate how much they all would cost to buy on Android. The thing with Android is there are lots of great free apps so you might not necessarily need to pay as much, and supporting an entire family who use Apple only I can attest to this.

I can't disagree enough when people say Android isn't are stable as iOS. I simply do not get app crashes or reboot on my N4 (unless I'm installing custom roms and messing around) But maybe I have a bit more experience and using stock android instead of bloated UI also help.

sent via tapatalk

Well, some paid apps I have are not on Android, but the ones that are on Android as well I more or less repurchased for my nexus 7. The rest I'd still need to buy would total maybe 18 dollars.

Most of the cost is going to be the phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae