Moto X or Galaxy S4

marki86

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Would love to hear opinions. On Verizon, currently have HTC DNA. Have had upgrade for a couple months just wanting to use it. Don't want to spend a lot of money. Just like to use upgrade when available so I have an extra phone around in case one gets dropped, etc.

Posted via Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Would love to hear opinions. On Verizon, currently have HTC DNA. Have had upgrade for a couple months just wanting to use it. Don't want to spend a lot of money. Just like to use upgrade when available so I have an extra phone around in case one gets dropped, etc.

What are you looking for in your next phone?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Moto X by far.
Had the S3, my X blew it out of the water easily. My S3 was rooted, AOSP ROM, with a battery friendly kernel, and a slightly overclocked CPU.

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I had an S4 for 7 months and then traded it in for a Moto X, and I would not go back. The almost stock android interface with the active notifications and touchless controls is soooo much better than touchwiz. I also get much better battery life and like the look and feel of the Moto X better. The only thing that I liked better about the S4 was that the camera was better.

marki86

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I will not be rooting. I just text, Facebook, Twitter, play some games. The games are just candy crush, slots, read news on internet, etc. I do use it to steam Netflix quite a bit. I take pictures, but nothing major. I do photography, so I believe in using a real camera! I would like for it to get updates timely. Also, good, clear phone calls.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I will not be rooting. I just text, Facebook, Twitter, play some games. The games are just candy crush, slots, read news on internet, etc. I do use it to steam Netflix quite a bit. I take pictures, but nothing major. I do photography, so I believe in using a real camera! I would like for it to get updates timely. Also, good, clear phone calls.

Rooting: Either
Text/Social Media: Either
Games: GS4 purely on specs. You might not even notice any lag on the Moto X though.
Netflix: GS4 based on screen size.
Updates: It's almost guaranteed that the Moto X will get updates faster than the GS4.
Calls: Motorola has a reputation for reception and call quality. Moto X here.

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I play some games on the Moto X (Rayman Jungle run, solitaire, and Candy Crush mostly) and have not noticed any difference in the performance. My wife watches Netflix on her Moto X and the smaller screen is nicer to hold while watching and also drains the battery less than on the GS4 because it has fewer pixels.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Based on yours uses I'd say the Moto X is a good fit. Doesn't seem like you'll be doing anything crazy. At least nothing the Moto X can't handle.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

marki86

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
The games I play do not require big specs......46 year old mom here. Now, my teenage boys are a different story. I am more concerned with reliable.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
The games I play do not require big specs.

Then definitely get a Moto X. If you're not looking to spend a lot of money and you have an upgrade available that you're looking to use, it's an amazing deal.

The Moto X can be had for $49.99 with Verizon. The Galaxy S4 is $199.99. No contest in that respect.

marki86

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Actually Verizon online has a special, so I can get moto free. S4 is 50 to upgrade at best buy. Free is always good, especially since I have a $30 upgrade fee.

sk8trix

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
http://youtu.be/UVc9eEDkQ4II personally preffer the S4 because the sd card,removable battery and vastly superior camera but to be quite honest I bought my mother a moto X for christmas and it is a beast phone too and does any task with easy man and also is cheaper and if you dont mind the camera not being up to par with the S4 camera you might want to go that route also google backs that phone more than samsung will back the S4 in the future they are both excellent machines though

Last edited:

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I think Moto X is a better choice for a mom who isn't worrying about specs and phones with removable parts. Even with the Moto X specs it's fast enough to play most 3d games without problem. It might be a dualcore phone, but it's faster than some quadcore phones that come before it.

It's more about user experience. The S4 might have lots of features but a lot are gimmicks, the features on the MotoX are actually practical. You will get easy notification with Active Display and quick way to search with Always Listening.

MotoX also have good form factor and fast updates. I believe Goggle will update it longer than Samsung will update their S4. If you need more storage space just get the 32gb version.

Under other condition such as someone asking for a phone purely for hardware specification or top notch camera quality than I would get the S4 or skip it and buy one of the up coming 2014 flagship, but the Moto X can give a pretty good experience with its unique features.

sent via tapatalk

charlee08

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
If you just want a good phone that performs great no matter what you throw at it, without all the gimmicks, then get the Moto X.

I've owned both and while I liked the S4, I love my Moto X.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I'd probably go with the Moto X, especially if you can use Moto Maker.

S4 has a better display and Camera, but Touchwiz just sucks so much, and the siren call of Vanilla Android would be hard for me to ignore. CPU should be as fast or faster on the X. And it has the always on functionality. Even without Moto Maker the case feels better on the X IMO. Moto X is FAR more likely to see updates in the future than the S4.

The S4 does have SD and an upgradable battery (which is why I don't give the battery to the X....upgradable/replacable batteries will always be better IMO). And that doesn't suck.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
The games I play do not require big specs......46 year old mom here. Now, my teenage boys are a different story. I am more concerned with reliable.
Then Moto X is definitely the answer. Fewer moving parts, stock Android with very good chance of future updates (they will arrive faster as well).

You will like the always on functionality. I am a huge fan of the Nexus 5, but the always on voice commands on the Moto X are something I envy, and no other phone will have that for a while, if ever.

Look into Moto Maker and see if you are eligible for it. It's a neat service also unique to the Moto X. You can customize the colors and texture on the case. The new thing is wood cases.

Moto X wood-finish backs now available on Moto Maker site | Android Central

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Based on the information so far from the OP and her replies, the Moto X seems like the logical choice.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12