most anticipated phone.

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Well 2014 is looking set to provide us with 2k resolution and the possibility if iris scanning tech.

So with that in mind what phone thus far is gathering your attention?

I am between the HTC M8 and the Samsung S5 its going to be interesting that's for sure.

Posted via Android Central App

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Nothing really. Tech has plateaued. All they can do is up the specs. Last phones with some new innovative features done right in the mobile space was the Moto X (X8 Processor, always listening, and active display) and (ugh) the iPhone 5S with the fingerprint scanner, which was done right. I'm willing to see what comes out with the Moto X2 but, other than that nothing seems that interesting at all. Well, I kinda want to see what apple does for the iPhone this year too.

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I won't get an upgrade this year. More interested in what is going on with tablets. I hope someone (Samsung maybe?) puts together a thin profile Android tablet to go up against the iPad Air.

Marginally interested in the iPhone as well but unless Apple decides to start competing against the Note 3, I don't think an iPhone is going to be on my list any time soon.

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I can't envisage apple ever going bigger than 4.7" and instead they will no doubt be bland and introduce the iPhone 6 that is the same as the 5s with the addition of zilch. Seriously though what more can be added to smart phones?

1)They are set to bring 2k

2)Iris Scanning

3)Flexible fixed displays

4)Larger Camera Module

5]Projection Keyboard

6)Projector

7)Smart Start (starts your car or if you have an Evo or Scooby warms up the turbo and winds down the turbo eg the smart turbo timer)

8)Advanced voice commands eg you can speak to your phone to control Amazon by saying OK Amazon look up Note 3 place order.

9)Medical use being looked at from what I have read.

10)Battery advancements to implement either solar charging, ota charging, extra long life battery.

Those are a few basic ideas and I'm sure it hasn't quite peaked yet. Although yes hardware advancements will continue but finding them unique feature's may become more difficult perhaps .

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I can't envisage apple ever going bigger than 4.7" and instead they will no doubt be bland and introduce the iPhone 6 that is the same as the 5s with the addition of zilch. Seriously though what more can be added to smart phones?

1)They are set to bring 2k

2)Iris Scanning

3)Flexible fixed displays

4)Larger Camera Module

5]Projection Keyboard

6)Projector

7)Smart Start (starts your car or if you have an Evo or Scooby warms up the turbo and winds down the turbo eg the smart turbo timer)

8)Advanced voice commands eg you can speak to your phone to control Amazon by saying OK Amazon look up Note 3 place order.

9)Medical use being looked at from what I have read.

10)Battery advancements to implement either solar charging, ota charging, extra long life battery.

Those are a few basic ideas and I'm sure it hasn't quite peaked yet. Although yes hardware advancements will continue but finding them unique feature's may become more difficult perhaps .

None of that is really going to be of any use to a average consumer besides the battery technology. We have the is and that with these devices yet they have sucky battery life.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I won't get an upgrade this year. More interested in what is going on with tablets. I hope someone (Samsung maybe?) puts together a thin profile Android tablet to go up against the iPad Air.

Marginally interested in the iPhone as well but unless Apple decides to start competing against the Note 3, I don't think an iPhone is going to be on my list any time soon.

I'm interested in Motorola making a tablet.

undulose

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Disclaimer: I dislike iOS, but probably the next iPhone excites me, the rumored WP made by Sony or Motorola's $50 budget phone and Ara.

Why? They are full of mysteries, unlike current Android flagship phones that are predictably becoming too much focused on specs that most of them aren't necessary for your average user. Instead of optimizing what we already have, most so-called innovation on the current tech world is happening faster than what most people can handle. I can say that most Android flagships are into 'gimmicks'.

1) Screen. 400+ ppi are ridiculously very detailed for the human eye to enjoy. So why would they fit 2K display on displays smaller than 6-in.?

2) Processor. Have you ever seen an app that needed 2.2 GHz of clock speed? Yeah, it'll provide some leeway for multi-tasking and heavy apps but that's too much. What if Google just convince its developers to polish their apps so they can run under or with 1.5 GHz of clock speed?

3)RAM. I never passed through 1.2 GB of RAM usage on my Nexus 7, so why the need for larger than 2 GB RAM?

I think what Android needs are optimized OS to be more battery- and processor-/memory-friendly. I liked the way iOS and WP sticking to the 320+ ppi since anything denser than that is equally appreciable. Instead of adding ppi, why wouldn't manufacturers make more efficient screens like Nokia's ClearBlack display and Motorola's Active Display.

Because of the specs race too, I have some friends that use their smartphones mainly for gaming and then complain about battery life. This is certainly an issue of consumer confusion. If not, then manufacturers should provide smartphones with better batteries, ample resolution and just enough clock speed to reduce battery consumption.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Well 2014 is looking set to provide us with 2k resolution and the possibility if iris scanning tech.

So with that in mind what phone thus far is gathering your attention?

I am between the HTC M8 and the Samsung S5 its going to be interesting that's for sure.

Not to be a pain, but wasn't 2k resolutions already the standard in 2013?

1920x1080 = 2k.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Seriously though what more can be added to smart phones?

What about:

1) Sapphire displays.
2) Full x86 support.
3) Dual-booting OS's.
4) Micro SSD's instead of flash.
5) Contract free flagship phones at a bargain price.
6) 4G for all.
7) A unified global network (say goodbye to the tyrannical CDMA Verizon and Sprint).

Edit: Oh, and the ability to calibrate your display.

Last edited:

monotok

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
What about:

1) Sapphire displays.
2) Full x86 support.
3) Dual-booting OS's.
4) Micro SSD's instead of flash.
5) Contract free flagship phones at a bargain price.
6) 4G for all.
7) A unified global network (say goodbye to the tyrannical CDMA Verizon and Sprint).

Edit: Oh, and the ability to calibrate your display.

Would love to see:
1) Sapphire displays.
2) Full x86 support.
3) Dual-booting OS's. I think either between WP and Android or Ubuntu for Android where you plug your Android phone into a dock with monitor and keyboard, it then turns into the full Ubuntu OS :D

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Tech has certainly slowed down, but I think a dynamic incline will continue for quite some time. I am looking forward to interactive holographic support!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Definitely looking forward to the next droid maxx variant. After finally having a phone where I can wake up, unplug, and not worry about it all day for 16+ hours I will not go back to anything less.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

undulose

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Definitely looking forward to the next droid maxx variant. After finally having a phone where I can wake up, unplug, and not worry about it all day for 16+ hours I will not go back to anything less.

My phone can last 16+ hours a day.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
My phone can last 16+ hours a day.

Well I'm just saying with my use im pretty sure the maxx and the note 3 would be the only phones to last me a day. I've had the gs4, nexus 4, iPhone 5s and I had to charge every one of them while at work. My maxx lasted 36 hours last charge with 6.5 hours of screen on time. I've never been close to those kinds of numbers before

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21