What do you think OEM's could have improved on last year [poll]?

What needs to be improved the most?

• Total voters

icyrock1

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Were about a month into 2014, and most manufactures have yet to announce any phones yet (except for a few of the lesser known OEM's at CES).

With that in mind, What do you think each OEM could improve on for there 2014 flagships/devices?

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Samsung: A total redesign of TouchWiz is desperately needed (and expected). It looks dated compared to the other OEM skins. I think focusing on quality of features instead of number of features would also be beneficial. For example, no one cares about controlling their phone by hovering their hand over it. Instead, if you insist on making S-Voice the default voice search app instead of Google Now (which is a desicion I do not like, but understand), put more effort into making it better. S-Voice isn't anywhere near the level of Google Now or Siri. Until it is, it won't be a selling point. This is how so many of the features Samsung brags about are. They are neat ideas, but without being more fleshed out, they don't genuinely benefit the user, and it is only a matter of time before people figure this out. When the first iPhone launched, it was not as capable as Windows Mobile, Blackberry, or Plam, but people liked it better because it focused on features that mattered and then built up instead of trying to do everything right away and doing none of it well.

HTC: You make great phones. Don't change a thing there, just keep refining. However, MARKET. If you want to succeed, you need to spend like your Samsung.

Motorola: See above. More of the same please!

LG: Don't try and be Samsung anymore. If I wanted a Samsung, I'd get a Samsung. Do more to be unique. The G2 was a good start, but don't stop there. The G2 showed you could make unique, nice hardware. Now show you can make unique, nice software.

Sony: Please come to the other US carriers. Or at least AT&T. I would buy a Z1/Z1s/Z1 compact tomorrow if I could get it through AT&T. Other than that, your products are actually very nice.

All: Follow Motorola's lead and move apps to the play store. It will help liberate you to a degree from the carriers. Being able to update camera software, for example, for all users in a short period of time without relying on a carrier OTA is a huge advantage.

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Samsung: A total redesign of TouchWiz is desperately needed (and expected). It looks dated compared to the other OEM skins. I think focusing on quality of features instead of number of features would also be beneficial. For example, no one cares about controlling their phone by hovering their hand over it. Instead, if you insist on making S-Voice the default voice search app instead of Google Now (which is a desicion I do not like, but understand), put more effort into making it better. S-Voice isn't anywhere near the level of Google Now or Siri. Until it is, it won't be a selling point. This is how so many of the features Samsung brags about are. They are neat ideas, but without being more fleshed out, they don't genuinely benefit the user, and it is only a matter of time before people figure this out. When the first iPhone launched, it was not as capable as Windows Mobile, Blackberry, or Plam, but people liked it better because it focused on features that mattered and then built up instead of trying to do everything right away and doing none of it well.

HTC: You make great phones. Don't change a thing there, just keep refining. However, MARKET. If you want to succeed, you need to spend like your Samsung.

Motorola: See above. More of the same please!

LG: Don't try and be Samsung anymore. If I wanted a Samsung, I'd get a Samsung. Do more to be unique. The G2 was a good start, but don't stop there. The G2 showed you could make unique, nice hardware. Now show you can make unique, nice software.

Sony: Please come to the other US carriers. Or at least AT&T. I would buy a Z1/Z1s/Z1 compact tomorrow if I could get it through AT&T. Other than that, your products are actually very nice.

All: Follow Motorola's lead and move apps to the play store. It will help liberate you to a degree from the carriers. Being able to update camera software, for example, for all users in a short period of time without relying on a carrier OTA is a huge advantage.

Agreed! This is why IMO the Moto X and Nexus 5 are the two best phones, and I traded in my GS4 for a Moto X and will probably not ever buy another Samsung phone no matter what the specs are...