1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question New phone dilemma- upgrade now or wait?

My VZW new phone upgrade just became available. I have a 2 year old Galaxy Nexus that has more than shown its age. It's got a spiderweb cracked screen (but is still 100% usable and doesnt bother me much) and is generally just slow. I've had it rom'ed since day one and am currently running the stable CM 10.2 release, though i've had rebooting and crashing issues for the better part of a year. I'm tired of wiping this phone trying to find stable builds and want to move on. The problem is that Samsung has basically confirmed a Feb/March release for the next Galaxy S, and I know other flagships will probably be announced at MWC for release in spring.

So my post is 2-fold: 1- Should I wait a possible few months for new releases or get a replacement now? 2- If not worth waiting or there are too many unknowns, what's the best phone available?

Preferred specs:
    Available on VZW*
    ~5" (the SIII's size is ideal)
    removable battery
    easily unlocked
    strongly prefer not needing to use the bull**** MTP file format that my GN uses (i know the reasons why google moved away from FAT/USB Mass Storage, but MTP is not a viable solution)

*I currently have a grandfathered unlimited data plan. If I'm forced off this plan, i'd be open to changing carriers.

Thanks

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Default Re: New phone dilemma- upgrade now or wait?

Quote Originally Posted by somnambulator View Post
    My VZW new phone upgrade just became available.
    And this is one reason contracts are bad. If you do not upgrade immediately when you can, it means you are wasting money. Because you are "paying" for the new phone via your subsidy regardless of whether or not you buy it. So there will always be a rush to upgrade asap on contract plans.

Preferred specs:
    removable battery
    easily unlocked
    You will not find those on Verizon anymore. Verizon had to be dragged kicking and screaming just to allow the Galaxy Nexus at all. Even then they still managed to sneak some of their apps onto it.

The closest you will get is the Moto X. near-stock experience, fast updates, and very nice specs. I can't think of anything in the foreseeable future that is better than the Moto X that is also comparable to a Nexus. There are phones with better specs, but they will have lots of bloat and skin overlays that you might not like if you are used to a GN.

*I currently have a grandfathered unlimited data plan. If I'm forced off this plan, i'd be open to changing carriers.
    They'd be doing you a favor IMO. I left Verizon about a year ago and have loved it.

The problem is that Samsung has basically confirmed a Feb/March release for the next Galaxy S
    Thats not a release date. Thats just the official announcement. You will not be seeing the S5 till at least May. more likely June.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I haven't had any issues with big red over 5 years and get a 20% discount through work. I'd be open to t mobile but I'm afraid I wouldn't have service in some key areas I frequent.

I do like the Moto x but would miss a spare battery. also wouldn't enjoy the battery life a year from now with it worn down to 75 or 50 of what it's rated for. has anyone opened one and replaced the battery?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

ROM

I do like the Moto x but would miss a spare battery. also wouldn't enjoy the battery life a year from now with it worn down to 75 or 50 of what it's rated for. has anyone opened one and replaced the battery?
    I agree. But the only alternatives on Verizon involve bloat and vendor skins.

Moto X battery life will be better than stock galaxy Nexus (I have a GN too).
    Last edited by JeffDenver; 01-24-2014 at 04:01 PM.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Would it be worth it to buy the MotoX off contract for $400 and go month to month with VZ? Could I still get a subsidized VZW phone and sell it? Might be able to make some $$ off it, right? It sounds like the Moto X might be what Im looking for if I can get past the battery issue. I LOVE the idea of Active Display and close to stock experience is ideal.

Global Posts
    460 Global Posts

Would it be worth it to buy the MotoX off contract for $400 and go month to month with VZ? Could I still get a subsidized VZW phone and sell it? Might be able to make some $$ off it, right? It sounds like the Moto X might be what Im looking for if I can get past the battery issue. I LOVE the idea of Active Display and close to stock experience is ideal.
    I moved from a GNex to a Moto X about 5 months ago and thought I would miss the replaceable battery. It is rare when the Moto X does not get me through a full 24 hours. Any battery, if treated correctly, should be around 75-80% after one year.

If you were considering an off contract Moto X there is a $100 off sale happening on Monday, Jan 27 and a $70 off sale until Feb 14. Moto X Valentine's Day Sale Starts 2014-01-27

ROM

Would it be worth it to buy the MotoX off contract for $400 and go month to month with VZ?
    Probably, yeah. Then there would be no subsidy next time.

Could I still get a subsidized VZW phone and sell it?
    Yes. When you buy a Subsidized phone, you are just locking yourself into a contract. Verizon doesn't care what phone you use, so long as you are on a contract with them.

It would be a hard sell though, since most people on Verizon are also on a contract. And because Verizon is CDMA only, you can't try to sell to people on other carriers. It won't be compatible.

It sounds like the Moto X might be what Im looking for if I can get past the battery issue. I LOVE the idea of Active Display and close to stock experience is ideal.
    Google hates (HATES) removable batteries and SD. I have no idea why. But they have declared a jihad against both, so you are not going to be seeing either in any phone that Google has control over. Which, going forward, is going to include Moto phones.

I don't like it either, but it is something you just have to accept if you are going to buy Moto or Nexus from now on.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Thanks for all the replies. I just got back from the VZW wireless store with an off contract G2. It was only $450 and with the device installment plan i'm only paying about $22/mo extra.

I tried out the Moto X extensively and it's bigger sibling Droid Maxx. Moto X's screen and battery were too small (though having a 4.7" screen in a smaller footprint than my GNex was initially very deceiving. The Droid is a really nice phone and I will be jealous of it's battery life, but the screen on the G2 is higher rez (1080 v 720) and looks amazing. The Maxx's screen looked very good, and may even have been high quality, but I have a feeling they opted for 720p to keep battery life high. If im going with a non-removable battery I'm already going to have a charging pack nearby anyway. Also the VZW G2 supports wireless charging, which is nice. I hope it works with the The Air Dock wireless charger.

I scoped out T Mobile yesterday and their comparable plan would have cost the exact same amount as my current VZW plan (w/ 20% discount from work) so it was a no-brainer to stay. If Tmo's coverage was better around where my GF lives I may have switched, but that's exactly why they're generally cheaper.

the VZW rep kept trying to push me to re-sign a contract or go to Edge, but was unable to give any answer whatsoever when asked why my monthly charge would be identical but i'd have infinitely less data. I also tried telling her why Edge is a terrible program, even for someone that plans to upgrade annually, but she didn't seem to understand any of it at all. i also had to show her how to turn the G2 on, so i guess this was to be expected.

Anyone looking for a Moto X on VZW should definitely look for the Droid Maxx instead unless theyre looking specifically at that nice $300-400 off contract price. It's a better X.

Anyone looking for a Moto X on VZW should definitely look for the Droid Maxx instead unless theyre looking specifically at that nice $300-400 off contract price. It's a better X.
    No, it's not. I have an X. My sister has a Droid Maxx. We both think my phone is better.
    Thanked by:

My VZW new phone upgrade just became available. I have a 2 year old Galaxy Nexus that has more than shown its age. It's got a spiderweb cracked screen (but is still 100% usable and doesnt bother me much) and is generally just slow. I've had it rom'ed since day one and am currently running the stable CM 10.2 release, though i've had rebooting and crashing issues for the better part of a year. I'm tired of wiping this phone trying to find stable builds and want to move on. The problem is that Samsung has basically confirmed a Feb/March release for the next Galaxy S, and I know other flagships will probably be announced at MWC for release in spring.

So my post is 2-fold: 1- Should I wait a possible few months for new releases or get a replacement now? 2- If not worth waiting or there are too many unknowns, what's the best phone available?

Preferred specs:
    Available on VZW*
    ~5" (the SIII's size is ideal)
    removable battery
    easily unlocked
    strongly prefer not needing to use the bull**** MTP file format that my GN uses (i know the reasons why google moved away from FAT/USB Mass Storage, but MTP is not a viable solution)

Thanks
    I opted last month to go with the Edge program for that reason you mentioned above. I do not want a long term contract and I am free to upgrade in 6 months. The Edge program is controversial so people have their own opinions but with T-Mobile offering to buy people out of their ETF's and AT&T offering $100 rebate on adding a new line or opening a new account, I believe the landscape on cell carriers is changing. Even Sprint is getting in on the game.