Moto X- Note 3- or Nexus 5

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Well here is a thread that may strike a debate.

We have the moto x with the active display. The note 3 with the S-Pen and the Nexus 5 with OK Google and vanilla Android.

So a debate may ensue after this and keep an open mind.

Which one would you choose and recommend?

Posted via Android Central App

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Well I have both the Note 3 and the Nexus 5 and wow am I happy :) was very impressed with the Nexus 5 and has been taking presadence over my Note 3 well for a while atleast.

But sure thing the moto x has landed here in the uk so might have to check that one out.

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Before getting my Moto X, it was between that and the Nexus 5. Since the Moto X is the closest to stock android without having a Nexus, and has active display, touch less controls, and more. I picked the Moto X. The battery and size was a big factor for me as well. I love my Moto X and I don't see myself trading it anytime soon. :)

Even though my call quality is only par. But I don't use the phone that much, so it doesn't completely bother me.

The Nexus 5 would have to be a good choice as well though because it is vanilla android and is a beast spec wise. Even though the X "lacks" in specs over the N5 on paper, in an everyday scenario you, at least I don't think, will see MUCH of a difference. The Moto X is a quick and responsive device.

I wouldn't even consider a Note 3 or any other Samsung device simply because of the UI. stock android really does make a difference.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Indeed however I have the Note 3 and boy is it gooood even more so that I have now flashed X-Note rom and am now shot of all the Samsung extras that I don't want or need.

As an overall your right about touchwiz holding back devices but that will change and the note 3 does compensate for it.

nessinhaw

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
but the Moto X also have OK Google Now lol

it even has a dedicated chip that is always listening to the user, so you can speak to it anytime!

sent from my Moto G <3

ballisticn8

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I say Moto X. I have the Note 3 and I'm trying to get rid of it for the Moto X. The Note 3 has so many features but I don't really use them in day to day life. The X seems like it's feature set is geared towards every day usage. I can't comment on the Nexus for one reason, Verizon. Love them or hate them I have two old unlimited data plans and I burn thru 4G data quicker than Ken Block burns thru tires.

sent from my thumbs...

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Which one would you choose and recommend?
Personally I like the nexus 5 the best. I love how smooth it is, I love the fast updates, I love that it will get support longer than the others. Better display and camera than the Moto X. And not polluted with Touchwiz like the Note 3. I like the size and build quality a lot as well.

But what I would recommend for you would depend on what you consider most important. They are all the best at some things, but none of them are the best at everything.

Last edited:

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I have both the nexus 5 and the Note 3 and I for the moment have been attached to my Nexus 5, enjoy how smooth vanilla android is, although I do have X-Note on my Note 3.

I will alternate but I am very impressed with the Nexus 5 didn't think any phone would take my attention away from my Note 3 how wrong lol

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't own all three devices, but I can share my experience on why I chose the Moto X.

I was using a N4, but I was considering between the N5 and Moto X, I went ahead with the Moto X due to their recent sale.
-Despite N5 1080p screen, I like AMOLED screen for better contrast and dark level, I tend to use the phone in bed in the dark (don't ask), I can't stand backlight leakage and poorer contrast of some LCD screens.
-Moto X general perceived better battery life
-Touchless control
-Better build materials (imo)
-Phone size is just right, I dislike oversized phone
-For once I want to support an American company instead

I don't know if it's the right decision yet, since its all about software for me and I can do unlimited things with the N5 such as installing a custom kernel that allow things like: swiping across the screen to wake/sleep the device, fine tuning the display or sound chip, multiboot into multiple Android roms and Ubuntu and other Linux OS. I will miss these things, but nowaday I mostly use stock Android and only need root. I do know Moto X is supported by Cyanogemod so eventually it will get some features, but it won't be as abundance as a Nexus. It also lack qi charging which lose a coolness factor.

I'm trying to look at it in a practical use and I think the screen, size, battery life and features of the Moto X might be more useful for my case. I can do a lot of things with the Nexus 5, but in the end of the day its more about tweaking fun than actually using the phone. Personally I want both phones, my ideal phone right now would be the Nexus 5 with AMOLED screen and the Moto X power saving processor and features. Or inversely you could say I would like a Moto X with 1080p AMOLED screen, qi charging, and is Google Edition.

As for the Note 3, I hate big phones, I wouldn't touch Touchwiz with a 10ft pole, I dislike Samsung build quality for recent devices, and it's too much to spend for an unlocked one.

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't own all three devices, but I can share my experience on why I chose the Moto X.

I was using a N4, but I was considering between the N5 and Moto X, I went ahead with the Moto X due to their recent sale.
-Despite N5 1080p screen, I like AMOLED screen for better contrast and dark level, I tend to use the phone in bed in the dark (don't ask), I can't stand backlight leakage and poorer contrast of some LCD screens.
-Moto X general perceived better battery life
-Touchless control
-Better build materials (imo)
-Phone size is just right, I dislike oversized phone
-For once I want to support an American company instead

I don't know if it's the right decision yet, since its all about software for me and I can do unlimited things with the N5 such as installing a custom kernel that allow things like: swiping across the screen to wake/sleep the device, fine tuning the display or sound chip, multiboot into multiple Android roms and Ubuntu and other Linux OS. I will miss these things, but nowaday I mostly use stock Android and only need root. I do know Moto X is supported by Cyanogemod so eventually it will get some features, but it won't be as abundance as a Nexus. It also lack qi charging which lose a coolness factor.

I'm trying to look at it in a practical use and I think the screen, size, battery life and features of the Moto X might be more useful for my case. I can do a lot of things with the Nexus 5, but in the end of the day its more about tweaking fun than actually using the phone. Personally I want both phones, my ideal phone right now would be the Nexus 5 with AMOLED screen and the Moto X power saving processor and features. Or inversely you could say I would like a Moto X with 1080p AMOLED screen, qi charging, and is Google Edition.

As for the Note 3, I hate big phones, I wouldn't touch Touchwiz with a 10ft pole, I dislike Samsung build quality for recent devices, and it's too much to spend for an unlocked one.

All of this.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

One thing I will add about the Nexus 5 display...it is easy to read in bright light. I can read the display in direct sunlight with sunglasses on...I don't remember being able to do that with any other phone. Certainly not AMOLED displays.

Nexus 5 black levels are decent for an LCD...better than the nexus 4 stock for sure, but not the best I have seen. It handles gradients beautifully though (perfect really). And it is nice not being able to see pixels, even when holding it close up.

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Well all I would need is the moto x to complete the title line up and yes its now available in the UK however 3 phones would be ridiculous right? Lol :p

ballisticn8

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Well all I would need is the moto x to complete the title line up and yes its now available in the UK however 3 phones would be ridiculous right? Lol :p

Blasphemy!!!

blasphemy.png

ackthbbft

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Now the question is: With the pending sale of Motorola to Lenovo (still requires government approval by both the U.S. and China), does that change anyone's opinion on whether they would get a Moto X? Would you be more likely to go with a Note 3 or Nexus 5 after hearing the news?

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Due to recent events, I would say Moto X is out of the running. It might very well end up still receiving timely updates, but I doubt it.

I'd say "wait and see' but by the time we find out whether or not Lenovo can be trusted, the Moto X will be old news.

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I just read about that. I really don't know what's gonna happen. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12