Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By someguy01234
  • 1 Post By ljxdaly
  • 1 Post By ddiehl
  • 1 Post By TucsonChuck
  • 1 Post By cgardnervt
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    StLouisMan2's Avatar

    Posts
    125 Posts
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Planning for the End of Google Voice?

    I am usually "late to the party", so I wasn't surprised to learn just today that Google announced the end of Google Voice back in October. OK, it's not really the end of Google Voice; it's just the end of Google's allowing 3rd party apps like Talk-a-tone to join with Google Voice to give us free calling and texting across the United States and Canada.

    I've come to enjoy the free phone and text and will be sad to see it go. Does anyone else use it? Do you have any plans for free service after 15 May 2014? There's been some talk that Google Voice may join with Hangouts to provide free phone service there somehow. Does anyone have an update?

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    32,568 Posts
    Global Posts
    33,066 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

    Default Re: Planning for the End of Google Voice?

    Quote Originally Posted by StLouisMan2 View Post
    I am usually "late to the party", so I wasn't surprised to learn just today that Google announced the end of Google Voice back in October. OK, it's not really the end of Google Voice; it's just the end of Google's allowing 3rd party apps like Talk-a-tone to join with Google Voice to give us free calling and texting across the United States and Canada.

    I've come to enjoy the free phone and text and will be sad to see it go. Does anyone else use it? Do you have any plans for free service after 15 May 2014? There's been some talk that Google Voice may join with Hangouts to provide free phone service there somehow. Does anyone have an update?

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    Personally, I am going to wait and see what Google has planned for that day.
    StLouisMan2 likes this.
  3. #3  
    someguy01234's Avatar

    Posts
    1,817 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,820 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Planning for the End of Google Voice?

    I use Vonage for VoIP.

    sent via tapatalk
    StLouisMan2 likes this.
  4. #4  
    ljxdaly's Avatar

    Posts
    169 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Planning for the End of Google Voice?

    if forced me to move over to republic wireless. for 10 bucks a month, i have unlimited calls and texts, and i'm not tied to wifi.

    i do think, though, that google voice will not be going away. i just think that google intends to make it its own, probably in hangouts, though i can't stand hangouts.
    StLouisMan2 likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    StLouisMan2's Avatar

    Posts
    125 Posts
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Planning for the End of Google Voice?

    Quote Originally Posted by ljxdaly View Post
    i do think, though, that google voice will not be going away. i just think that google intends to make it its own, probably in hangouts, though i can't stand hangouts.
    Yes. I don't think Google Voice is going anywhere either. For right now, I can afford to wait and see what happens in the end. I am hoping it doesn't get connected with Hangouts. No one I know uses Hangouts which gives me little opportunity to get comfortable with them.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
  6. #6  
    ddiehl's Avatar

    Posts
    109 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Planning for the End of Google Voice?

    I use it as a forwarding service only so I have a 'local' number for my out-of-state area code..
    StLouisMan2 likes this.
  7. #7  
    TucsonChuck's Avatar

    Posts
    246 Posts
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Planning for the End of Google Voice?

    I use it a lot for my "work" number. Hope it doesn't go away.
    StLouisMan2 likes this.
  8. #8  
    cgardnervt's Avatar

    Posts
    3,600 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carrier
    None Yet...

    Default Re: Planning for the End of Google Voice?

    I don't think we will see the "end" of GV but it will be used as an addon service with Gmail in some way is my guess.
    StLouisMan2 likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    StLouisMan2's Avatar

    Posts
    125 Posts
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Planning for the End of Google Voice?

    Quote Originally Posted by cgardnervt View Post
    used as an addon service with Gmail in some way is my guess.
    I'm sorry I'm not super techie, but I read in another Thread that someone is ALREADY doing this. If it isn't too much trouble, can you explain how this works (might work)? I'll see whether I can't find that reference Thread.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
  10. #10  
    Tom Westrick's Avatar

    Posts
    394 Posts
    Global Posts
    429 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Planning for the End of Google Voice?

    Keep in mind, support for third party apps is dropping right around the time of Google I/O. I'm betting we'll see the "new" version then (I'm also betting it's being rolled into Hangouts).

Similar Threads

  1. LG G2: How bad is the UI really?
    By IdemanEric in forum LG G2
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 02-11-2014, 06:09 AM
  2. Can't remove apps at bottom of screen
    By Rilla1 in forum Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-05-2014, 11:56 PM
  3. Odd bump in the Glass of new Moto X
    By rem_kujawa in forum Moto X (2013)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-27-2014, 10:31 PM

Posting Permissions

";