Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By TucsonChuck
  • 1 Post By cgardnervt
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Planning for the End of Google Voice?

I am usually "late to the party", so I wasn't surprised to learn just today that Google announced the end of Google Voice back in October. OK, it's not really the end of Google Voice; it's just the end of Google's allowing 3rd party apps like Talk-a-tone to join with Google Voice to give us free calling and texting across the United States and Canada.

I've come to enjoy the free phone and text and will be sad to see it go. Does anyone else use it? Do you have any plans for free service after 15 May 2014? There's been some talk that Google Voice may join with Hangouts to provide free phone service there somehow. Does anyone have an update?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    13,849 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Planning for the End of Google Voice?

Quote Originally Posted by StLouisMan2 View Post
    I am usually "late to the party", so I wasn't surprised to learn just today that Google announced the end of Google Voice back in October. OK, it's not really the end of Google Voice; it's just the end of Google's allowing 3rd party apps like Talk-a-tone to join with Google Voice to give us free calling and texting across the United States and Canada.

I've come to enjoy the free phone and text and will be sad to see it go. Does anyone else use it? Do you have any plans for free service after 15 May 2014? There's been some talk that Google Voice may join with Hangouts to provide free phone service there somehow. Does anyone have an update?

Personally, I am going to wait and see what Google has planned for that day.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
    StLouisMan2 likes this.

I use Vonage for VoIP.

sent via tapatalk
    Thanked by:

if forced me to move over to republic wireless. for 10 bucks a month, i have unlimited calls and texts, and i'm not tied to wifi.

i do think, though, that google voice will not be going away. i just think that google intends to make it its own, probably in hangouts, though i can't stand hangouts.
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by ljxdaly View Post
    i do think, though, that google voice will not be going away. i just think that google intends to make it its own, probably in hangouts, though i can't stand hangouts.
    Yes. I don't think Google Voice is going anywhere either. For right now, I can afford to wait and see what happens in the end. I am hoping it doesn't get connected with Hangouts. No one I know uses Hangouts which gives me little opportunity to get comfortable with them.

I use it as a forwarding service only so I have a 'local' number for my out-of-state area code..
    Thanked by:

I use it a lot for my "work" number. Hope it doesn't go away.
    Thanked by:
    StLouisMan2 likes this.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

I don't think we will see the "end" of GV but it will be used as an addon service with Gmail in some way is my guess.
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    If any of my posts help you don't forget to thank/like it!!
    Thanked by:
    StLouisMan2 likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by cgardnervt View Post
    used as an addon service with Gmail in some way is my guess.
    I'm sorry I'm not super techie, but I read in another Thread that someone is ALREADY doing this. If it isn't too much trouble, can you explain how this works (might work)? I'll see whether I can't find that reference Thread.

Keep in mind, support for third party apps is dropping right around the time of Google I/O. I'm betting we'll see the "new" version then (I'm also betting it's being rolled into Hangouts).