Google discontinuing the nexus line???? *RUMOR*

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like click bait

I figured with it being BGR it probably was, but then was thinking maybe google is done subsidizing other OEM's devices for the nexus line to focus more on their own Moto line and sliding that into the nexus tier of pricing.

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
This could change tomorrow, but so far Google has treated Motorola the same as they treat every other OEM, and I don't see them changing that relationship since it seems to be working so well. And as far as subsidizing devices, the costs would be around the same whether Motorola manufactured it, or Samsung, LG, HTC, Sony, whoever.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
This could change tomorrow, but so far Google has treated Motorola the same as they treat every other OEM, and I don't see them changing that relationship since it seems to be working so well. And as far as subsidizing devices, the costs would be around the same whether Motorola manufactured it, or Samsung, LG, HTC, Sony, whoever.

Yes but with moto being owned by google it would be a way to try and help gain moto more sales and ultimately earn google more $$$ on top of what they already make

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Google isn't concered with selling hardware. Their concern is gathering information from their services and turning the information into ad revenue. As long as a customer is using Google's services, whether they are using an LG phone, a Motorola phone, and even an iPhone, it's all the same to Google.

And discontinuing the Nexus line in favor of what Motorola may produce would be a major foul in the eyes of other OEMs, and probably not worth the backlash.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
The fact that people in this forum are even talking about it, means that BGR did it's job. That website is all iPhone, and most people know it.:p

BuffOrange

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
It did say 2015 right? Implying there will be another one this year? Isn't that like saying there may not be an iphone 6s? Would Apple even know that so far in advance? Does Google?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
It did say 2015 right? Implying there will be another one this year? Isn't that like saying there may not be an iphone 6s? Would Apple even know that so far in advance? Does Google?

I am sure these companies have layouts for years in advance, if you think they go on a year by year basis, that is not the case. These designs have been in testing and planning for a long time before they actually make it into a product.

nessinhaw

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
well...i think it was clear that at some point Motorola would be the next to produce a Nexus device!
Moto X and Moto G i believe are like "betas"...

and the other OEMs have their Google Play Editions too...personally, i like expanding the stock experience to more phones!

sent from my Moto G <3

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
well...i think it was clear that at some point Motorola would be the next to produce a Nexus device!
Moto X and Moto G i believe are like "betas"...

and the other OEMs have their Google Play Editions too...personally, i like expanding the stock experience to more phones!

sent from my Moto G <3

I think moto already is essentially making nexus devices just without the name. They have near stock experience and just enough "enhancements" to really add to the core OS, and also get nearly nexus like updates.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I think Moto Phones will become the new version of the Nexus line. The Moto X proves they can do it just fine now.

I think moto already is essentially making nexus devices just without the name. They have near stock experience and just enough "enhancements" to really add to the core OS, and also get nearly nexus like updates.
In the absence of a Nexus line, phones like the Moto X will become the new stock Android. There is nothing else that will be more stock.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
My guess is someone got wind of the news that Google was getting out of the smartphone business and assumed that meant the death of the Nexus line. The person never thought Google would be selling Motorola.

The Nexus line is pretty much a no brainer for Google, they have HW company take on the design and manufacture and probably the inventory risks and all Google have to do is market and distribute the devices.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I had hoped for a nexus with Motorola radio. Well maybe google kept that patent.

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Now that they sold Motorola i'd think there'd be more focus on the nexus line. Maybe they only brand the line..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol