Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why would a phone number contain symbols but cant be called

Ok all you cellphone experts Ineed help.I was going through my network phones doing cleanup and came across a phone number in the dialed calls and I have no idea how it got there or who it is.The number is a strange one that contains a total of 11 digits. But 2 of those are digits one being the # and another the * and they are between the numbers.I tried calling the number but it says call cant be completed as dialed.So my question is why would it be in my call log as a dialed number yet it doesnt work and how could i figure out what its from.number is 973-936-3#5*2 any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Why would a phone number contain symbols but cant be called

Welcome to Android Central! My guess is that the number was 973-9363, then you had to press # in a phone tree, then options 5 and 2, with a star key as some other command in the phone tree.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Could be but without area code i wont be able to figure it out since googling it there are many places to match.I just found it odd being in my log like this whereas all the other numbers were fine.thanks for your reply.

You mean it's not in your own area code? Are you in an area that requires you to enter the area code, even if dialing within your own area code?

Posted via Android Central App
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Yes I am in an area that requires my area code,so all other calls in my log show area code but this number is shown how I typed it which is why I was curious,it is out of the norm.I thought may e it was dialed from within an app but the phone its on does not have data and there has not been any pay per use charges.i just like to keep track of our phones and just found this out of place.When i dial number how you mentioned it says number not in service,when i dial as it is listed on my log it says call cant be completed as dialed but something funny it says on my log that i called newark nj?..is it possibly a call to an app or voicemail or something like that i havent a clue.i do know that no matter how i dial it does not work.I thought about trying as a text but that wouldnt go to my dialed call logs