Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By zorak950
  • 1 Post By garublador
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Has anyone else experienced that the older Android gets, the more problems surface.

    I really love my droid, my droid was perfect for my needs but sadly several days after I updated my HTC EVO 3D from 2.3 GB to 4.0 ics, one of my most used apps started giving problems such as saving an image all skew (the app in question is phero 3D) then a few months passed and apps that always worked started to crash so I had to do many force closes. It's like 14 months is the life span of a Droid, before everything starts to deteriorate. The same happened with a galaxy S2 that was updated all the way to jelly bean and yet it still gives hassles. Yet when it was running ginger bread it was fine, is ginger bread the last reliable version of Android that does not age ? It's like everyone in my family experienced this with their droids not just me.

    I just wanted to know if anyone else experiences this as this may just be faulty stock from the stores in my area.

    If you dont experience this then what version of android that is newer than 2.3 ginger bread are you running and for how long have you been using it ? And are you rooted ?

    For me it took a few months running ics before I really experienced problems.

    And is there a fix for this that does not include rooting ?
    my devices: Nokia Lumia 520, Samsung Galaxy S2, Nokia Asha 301, Samsung star, samsung E1105T (supper dumb phone)
  2. #2  
    bigdaddytee's Avatar

    Posts
    704 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Has anyone else experienced that the older Android gets, the more problems surface.

    You didn't have a Droid. This is a Droid. A Droid on Froyo.
    I got a Gnex with ICS nearly two years ago, it's now on JB. I've never had the problems you're describing, although I made sure to do a factory reset after every update.

    sent over wifi from my stock (Froyo updated) Moto OG Droid...yes, really
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Has anyone else experienced that the older Android gets, the more problems surface.

    Some older apps have issues on newer versions of Android, and some older hardware doesn't run as smoothly with newer apps and OS versions. It's like having an old computer, except that mobile is iterating faster right now so stuff becomes obsolete quicker.
    treetopfolk likes this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Has anyone else experienced that the older Android gets, the more problems surface.

    ^^^^This sums it up nicely^^^^^

    Posted via Android Central App
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Has anyone else experienced that the older Android gets, the more problems surface.

    So I guess if you get a droid its better to avoid OTAs.

    But if its the old hardware thats the problem then why is the iPhone 4S still fine running ios 7 ? Not that it says much as its really nothing more than a theme change with a few added gestures but with Android having so many new features after each update, they should have a message warning you of the risks before it let's you do an OTA.
    my devices: Nokia Lumia 520, Samsung Galaxy S2, Nokia Asha 301, Samsung star, samsung E1105T (supper dumb phone)
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Has anyone else experienced that the older Android gets, the more problems surface.

    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddytee View Post
    You didn't have a Droid. This is a Droid. A Droid on Froyo.
    I got a Gnex with ICS nearly two years ago, it's now on JB. I've never had the problems you're describing, although I made sure to do a factory reset after every update.

    sent over wifi from my stock (Froyo updated) Moto OG Droid...yes, really
    How long has the device been running jelly bean ?
    my devices: Nokia Lumia 520, Samsung Galaxy S2, Nokia Asha 301, Samsung star, samsung E1105T (supper dumb phone)
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Has anyone else experienced that the older Android gets, the more problems surface.

    I've had the opposite experience. My Droid and Droid X2 with Froyo and Gingerbread were way more buggy and unstable than my Galaxy S4 on Jellybean.

    I also agree that factory resets are mandatory with OTA updates.

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Has anyone else experienced that the older Android gets, the more problems surface.

    Quote Originally Posted by garublador View Post
    I've had the opposite experience. My Droid and Droid X2 with Froyo and Gingerbread were way more buggy and unstable than my Galaxy S4 on Jellybean.

    I also agree that factory resets are mandatory with OTA updates.

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app
    Galaxy S4 is still very new, let it age 18 months.
    my devices: Nokia Lumia 520, Samsung Galaxy S2, Nokia Asha 301, Samsung star, samsung E1105T (supper dumb phone)
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Has anyone else experienced that the older Android gets, the more problems surface.

    Quote Originally Posted by stalemate1 View Post
    Galaxy S4 is still very new, let it age 18 months.
    I'm sorry you don't like my analysis of the OS's, but it's what you asked for.

    I've still had way fewer problems with the S4 than I had with either two out of the gate. I'm also already 8 months in with the S4 and I had already noticed both of my other phones slowing down at this point. I had to restart either of them at least weekly and force closings were a daily occurrence. I now restart once every few weeks and rarely get force closes. I never found GB to be at all reliable. I haven't found JB to be anything but reliable so far.

    I also suspect, with TRIM support in 4.3, that aging won't be nearly as big of an issue as it was in earlier Android OS's.

    stalemate1 likes this.
  10. #10  
    JeffDenver's Avatar

    Posts
    2,185 Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

    Default Re: Has anyone else experienced that the older Android gets, the more problems surface.

    Quote Originally Posted by stalemate1 View Post
    Has anyone else experienced that the older Android gets, the more problems surface.
    On any phone without vanilla android. I have had HTC, Samsung, LG, and Moto devices, and problems with all of them (except the Droid 1 of course).

    I have never experienced this on Nexus devices though. My advice is to avoid anything with a 3rd party skin. If you are going to get a non-Nexus device, then at least get a Google Play Edition of it. The only non Nexus/GPA device I would ever consider right now is the Moto X.

    Vendor skins are the devil. They are just not worth the hassle IMO. They cause more problems than they solve.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Has anyone else experienced that the older Android gets, the more problems surface.

    Quote Originally Posted by garublador View Post
    I'm sorry you don't like my analysis of the OS's, but it's what you asked for.

    I've still had way fewer problems with the S4 than I had with either two out of the gate. I'm also already 8 months in with the S4 and I had already noticed both of my other phones slowing down at this point. I had to restart either of them at least weekly and force closings were a daily occurrence. I now restart once every few weeks and rarely get force closes. I never found GB to be at all reliable. I haven't found JB to be anything but reliable so far.

    I also suspect, with TRIM support in 4.3, that aging won't be nearly as big of an issue as it was in earlier Android OS's.

    Sorry if I'm being a total posterior. I'm just very frustrated with my device.

    Any idea if trim is automatic on Windows 7 or do you have to tell the pc to do it and is it different to a defrag (i have ASC6 do it for me) and is it better or less effective than a normal defrag ?

    Also what's the difference between cleaning and defrag ?

    And are there any good defrag apps for android you recommend ?
    (i cant get the new OTA version with Trim)
    my devices: Nokia Lumia 520, Samsung Galaxy S2, Nokia Asha 301, Samsung star, samsung E1105T (supper dumb phone)
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Has anyone else experienced that the older Android gets, the more problems surface.

    Quote Originally Posted by stalemate1 View Post
    Sorry if I'm being a total posterior. I'm just very frustrated with my device.

    Any idea if trim is automatic on Windows 7 or do you have to tell the pc to do it and is it different to a defrag (i have ASC6 do it for me) and is it better or less effective than a normal defrag ?
    If you have a SSD in your Windows machine you should not defrag it. Here's how to check to see if TRIM is enabled:



    Quote Originally Posted by stalemate1 View Post
    And are there any good defrag apps for android you recommend ?
    (i cant get the new OTA version with Trim)
    No, because you should not defrag solid state devices. Your options are to update to an OS that uses TRIM (4.3+) or try what this guy recommends (I've never tried following it so I'm not sure how effective it might be):



    I've had marginal success by clearing the cache partition on my Droid X2, but I had to do it relatively frequently. Unfortunately your options are very limited.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Has anyone else experienced that the older Android gets, the more problems surface.

    Quote Originally Posted by stalemate1 View Post
    So I guess if you get a droid its better to avoid OTAs.

    But if its the old hardware thats the problem then why is the iPhone 4S still fine running ios 7 ? Not that it says much as its really nothing more than a theme change with a few added gestures but with Android having so many new features after each update, they should have a message warning you of the risks before it let's you do an OTA.
    This is because Apple is the only manufacturer of iPhones, and it's also why Apple products have a better battery life. Because everything is optimized for their devices.
    Apple doesn't have to worry about making an OS that is compatible with 10+ other manufacturer's devices, only their own. Apple has FULL CONTROL.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-29-2014, 12:44 AM
  2. Home button problem
    By jmcinvale in forum Verizon HTC Rezound
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-28-2014, 01:00 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-28-2014, 11:17 AM
  4. how to stop the Samsung Galaxy S4 auto backspacing
    By BenC2020 in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-28-2014, 08:06 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-28-2014, 12:51 AM

Posting Permissions

B