BlackBerry's new update release today allows installs of Android apk files directly from device.

FutureKix

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
1) That's amazing. I'm surprised there aren't major issues, considering the differences between Androids and Black Berries.

2) I think that's cool. I have several friends with Black Berry phones who won't be able to get an Android any time soon and with this they can finally see what I'm talking about all the time!

3) Is it legal? My immediate response is yes. Android is open source, so anyone can do anything they want with it. I'm not a developer, but it would make sense that the same open source rules apply to .apk files. There could be legal issues for particular apps, like if Microsoft included a clause in their user agreement that prevented Xbox Smartglass from being run on any OS other than Android, but it would still be legal to offer users the ability to install apks, and the responsibility of each user to do so wisely. Any app that requires Google Play license check would be broken. :(

4) No, as Google Play, as an app market, should remain exclusive to the Android platform. Now Google apps on the other hand, those are on iOS, so why not Black Berry?

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
1) That's amazing. I'm surprised there aren't major issues, considering the differences between Androids and Black Berries.

2) I think that's cool. I have several friends with Black Berry phones who won't be able to get an Android any time soon and with this they can finally see what I'm talking about all the time!

3) Is it legal? My immediate response is yes. Android is open source, so anyone can do anything they want with it. I'm not a developer, but it would make sense that the same open source rules apply to .apk files. There could be legal issues for particular apps, like if Microsoft included a clause in their user agreement that prevented Xbox Smartglass from being run on any OS other than Android, but it would still be legal to offer users the ability to install apks, and the responsibility of each user to do so wisely. Any app that requires Google Play license check would be broken. :(

4) No, as Google Play, as an app market, should remain exclusive to the Android platform. Now Google apps on the other hand, those are on iOS, so why not Black Berry?

1. There are "issues". You can't use GPlay Services so any app that uses them mostly doesn't work. As devs aren't designing apps for BlackBerry phones, they aren't optimized for them, especially the Q10 and it's smaller screen.

2. Indeed they get a good taste of what we have on Android. Even Netflix works on a BlackBerry phone now, though with a little lag.

3. Yes depending on where you get your .apk's from. You can now download the Amazon App store and some others, and also sideload a .bar called "Snap" that allows you to download directly from the web based play store as I understand it. You sign in with your Google Play account. Using this method I now have my banking app, Netflix, SmartGlass, and a few lesser Android titles on my Q10. I would still rather run Android apps on my GNote 3.

4. I don't think you will see GP or GPS on a BlackBerry phone but hey, you never know.

pgg101

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Yup. Most apps work as intended on my Z30, probably not as many for the q10 due to its screen size.

Some Google services do work like signing into Maps, but I didn't like the battery drain, plus I see no advantage to having Google track me like that.

Snap (Google Play client for Bb10) works well for free apps, not pay apps. Although, I hear the developer will have an update to address pay apps soon.

Amazon Market works well...free and pay. I prefer Amazon, as it has better quality control. Too many bogus apps on Google Play.

But most apps I actually use are on BlackBerry World.

Posted via Android Central App on BlackBerry Z30

Last edited:

saud0689

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Yup. Most apps work as intended on my Z30, probably not as many for the q10 due to its screen size.

Some Google services do work like signing into Maps, but I didn't like the battery drain, plus I see no advantage to having Google track me like that.

Snap (Google Play client for Bb10) works well for free apps, not pay apps. Although, I hear the developer will have an update to address pay apps soon.

Amazon Market works well...free and pay. I prefer Amazon, as it has better quality control. Too many bogus apps on Google Play.

But most apps I actually use are on BlackBerry World.

Posted via Android Central App on BlackBerry Z30

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non