Google to sell Motorola Mobility to Lenovo for $2.91 billion

Would you still buy a Moto X post Motorola/Lenovo Deal?

• Total voters

ethertwist

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lenovo Support

I posted this in the general thread on the buyout, but given the topic of this thread, it seems kind of fitting here as well:

What does this mean for those of us who've purchased the Moto Care extended 2 year warranty? Should I try and get a prorated refund at this point or will it continue to be honored? I've only had the Moto X for about a month. :confused:

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

Lenovo will either honor the warranties themselves or they will sell them to a third party warranty company.

When Circuit City went away, we had a warranty on an overhead DVD unit they had installed. We were contacted by a company that took over the warranty. Of course we no longer had the luxury of driving up to a CC store to receive coverage.

Sent from my Moto X

lostaggie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

Who cares... It is now a fully owned Chinese company. If you care about future jobs you need to vote your dollars elsewhere.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site

Nothing will change they are purchasing an existing company that is functioning well now all we should see are improvements. Lenovo is a stand up company with great products and the Moto line will only make them better.

Posted via Android Central App

zobog

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site

Who cares... It is now a fully owned Chinese company. If you care about future jobs you need to vote your dollars elsewhere.

And just where are you going to buy an American smartphone? IPhone? They are made in Asia.
I am not sure what you are talking about. Moto X 2 the closest thing to American made the 2 in smartphone industry

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: Google selling Moto to Lenovo for 3 billion.

If this is true, I will not be a Lenovorola customer if they stray from this software strategy.
I'm in 100% agreement Ry! When I switched back from iOS to Android on 12/5 I tried several devices and this Moto X is the best with the Razr HD coming in 2nd ahead of Sammy's Note II. My reasoning, I like stock or very close to stock Android without the promo material features that I don't use. This sale of Motorola to Lenovo saddens me as I'd all but decided that with Google owning Motorola it would be my OEM of choice! Now what?

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Say Goodbye to Moto X sales!

I do understand why many people are upset about this. A part of me is as well, as I've always thought of Motorola as a US company, and now... well, it only sort of will be.

No "sort of" about it. Motorola will soon be a Chinese company and to say that upsets me is putting it mildly. To say I like Google even less today than I did yesterday would also be putting it mildly.

If it weren't for the fact that the alternatives suck even more: I'd be walking away from Android entirely, by now.

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: Google to sell Motorola Mobility to Lenovo for around $3 billion.

What does this mean for those of us who've purchased the Moto Care extended 2 year warranty? Should I try and get a prorated refund at this point or will it continue to be honored? I've only had the Moto X for about a month.:confused:

In an aquisition, the purchasing company picks up the legal obligations also. Moto Care is a legally binding contract. You are good.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

And buy which smartphone? Samsung's a Korean company? Apple's, whose products are made in Foxconn's Chinese factories?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: The Sale is Official.... Now What?

Lenovo VIBE Z - 5.5" Super-Fast 4G Android Smartphone | Lenovo (US)

This is the phone that Lenovo is set to come out with as their flagship this year. I don't like capacitive buttons or the preloaded bloatware. Not quite sure what else to think at this stage of the acquisition.

Hmmm first I heard of this.I really havent heard much about Lenovo so I just dont know about the quality of their products.
I guess time will tell where this goes.Maybe my Moto X will go up in value once the stock has been sold out.I didnt like the looks of that phone either.I probably will be hanging onto my Moto X for quite while longer since there wont be a Moto X2 made by Motorola.
I know I wont be looking towards an Iphone though that much I am sure of .

lostaggie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

And just where are you going to buy an American smartphone? IPhone? They are made in Asia.
I am not sure what you are talking about. Moto X 2 the closest thing to American made the 2 in smartphone industry

The point is all the money is now staying overseas...

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

My hope is that this puts pressure on Lenovo to prove that Motorola is not slowing down or changing direction.
Things are going well.
If they are smart, they'll need to ensure everyone knows that hasn't changed.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

Now that I think about it I don't think Levono will break up the band so to speak. Their cell phones have not exactly taken off so acquiring Motorola just to make it a Levono doesn't make much sense to me. Until we learn more I'd say a Moto x 2 has a 50/50 chance verses not. I think this phone has been a learning experience for many with its optimization and if Levono plays their cards right , they can be a real player in the market imo with an affordable price point. The other thing I'm not sure of is quick updates. Everyone assumed this was due to Google owning Moto but for all we know it was Moto pushing for it and making it happen with the near stock system. Guess I'm saying that Google may not have had as big of a hand in all that is Moto X and G after all and if Levono doesn't break it up, it may stay the coarse and we will get more great phones under Motorola. It'll be a while before we see. I'm looking forward to following the situation though.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I am not going to sell my Moto X because of this but I wont be sure if I will get an X2 if that model continues .I guess I will watch and see what happens this fall.
Also
As far as other phones go I am not a fan of LG, and Samsung doesnt have the greatest radios out there.Its been awhile since I had HTC .

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: Google to sell Motorola Mobility to Lenovo for around $3 billion.

How is this not surprising? This was such low key that the announcement kicked us in the place where the sun doesn't shine. This move is such a huge enigma.
I didn't expect it, but once I thought about it I realized it made sense. Google said from the start that they wanted Motorola for the patents, and didn't plan to compete directly with their hardware partners. Okay, now (well, after the deal goes through) they have just the patents, and everyone knows they aren't favoring Motorola to line their own pockets. Lenovo is a large, competent company that makes a lot of smartphones in Asia. They are trying to break into the high-end and American markets with this purchase.

I'm not excited about it, but this isn't necessarily a disaster like Palm going to HP. Lenovo actually wants to have a smartphone strategy.
Sent from my Moto X
I think HP did, too, until the CEO changed. All of HP nearly died, the Palm was a minor casualty in the larger picture.
Lenovo ruined the Thinkpad.
I've heard very good things about the Yoga, though.

:( And to think that this is the first phone that's excited me since the Palm pre and WebOS...

I think I bring bad mojo to any party...
Me, too. :( When I told a friend I'd just bought a Moto X, he teased me about picking losers.
yeah, it was the latter. Sad for the consumer, and although Google may not realize it, it will weaken android.

How about a Motorola Nexus! The Moto NeXus.
That is one bright point -- it substantially increases the odds that the next Nexus will be built by Motorola, with Motorola radio reception and quite possibly with Motorola fit & finish.

Time will tell.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

What does this mean for those of us who've purchased the Moto Care extended 2 year warranty?
Nothing. Unless a company goes bankrupt, your warranty will be honored. An express warranty is a contract, but you also have implied warranties that arise by law, typically the UCC. Whatever entity purchases a company in an acquisition remains contractually liable to you for the warranty as well as legally obligated to you under the UCC.