Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Would you still buy a Moto X post Motorola/Lenovo Deal?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

41 44.09%
  • No

14 15.05%
  • Wait and see

38 40.86%
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree230Likes

Default Re: Lenovo reportedly set to buy Motorola from Google for up to $3 billion

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    If it doesn't, Google will probably look to still unload it though.
    Who else would be interested in buying Motorola and can make use of it? I rather have Oppo buying them instead, if they could afford it.
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

Default Re: Lenovo fallout

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    There's really nothing to explain. The deal was made public yesterday so they haven't had any time to release any details like that to us. They sort of tip-toed around the question when they were asked. Who knows what that means..
    I was referring to the part he has in bold. He has made that point several times now but few seem to understand what he is getting at.

I can spell out for you what I think he is getting at but I don't want to put words in his mouth.

Global Posts
    6,806 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by Cozume View Post
    I was referring to the part he has in bold. He has made that point several times now but few seem to understand what he is getting at.

I can spell out for you what I think he is getting at but I don't want to put words in his mouth.
    I'm on the AC app so I can't see what's in bold, sorry

Posted via Android Central App
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

If they continue with Motomaker for the US then they'll need to keep assembling them in the US. I guess we'll Have to see how popular MM becomes.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #380  
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,877 Global Posts

Default Re: Lenovo reportedly set to buy Motorola from Google for up to $3 billion

Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    Who else would be interested in buying Motorola and can make use of it? I rather have Oppo buying them instead, if they could afford it.
    Uh.

a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    No way. It's better for Motorola to be with a company that has brand recognition with plenty of worldwide distribution networks that won't compromise their creativity.

Posted via Android Central App by Lenovo X

Global Posts
    6,806 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by Hoff Woohoo View Post
    If they continue with Motomaker for the US then they'll need to keep assembling them in the US. I guess we'll Have to see how popular MM becomes.
    We already know how popular it is. The Moto X probably won't sell as much once this Valentine's day deal is over. Whatever MM managed to do is what we can expect if they continue with it

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Default Re: Why Does Motorola being Bought by Lenovo matter?

Quote Originally Posted by benhmadison View Post
    No one could say for sure under Google but one thing was certain. As long as Google's name was behind Moto, we knew updates would be fairly prompt. Many users who had ruled out any device other than a Nexus(due to bloatware,delayed updates etc) decided to give the X a try because Google was behind Moto. Now that assurance is gone. I hope that Moto continues to update their devices in a timely manor, and continues to put out more devices like the X. But if someone who just bought an X is concerned, they have every right to be.
    I say that of someone just bought an X they need not worry. The Moto X is running KitKat and still a very capable phone. Only tech nerds would worry, the average consumer does not apply here.

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #384  
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,877 Global Posts

Default Re: Google to sell Motorola Mobility to Lenovo for around $3 billion.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/30/l...ecurity-cfius/

Similar issues have been raised over Lenovo's plans to buy part of IBM's server division. However, as with IBM's ThinkPads before them, the company's x86 servers are already being made in China. "If you worry about penetration via your low-end server, you're going to have to figure out a way to monitor all servers, not just say kick the Chinese company out and we'll be safe," says Professor Theodore Moran, a senior fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics.

Moran says there are three specific issues the CFIUS looks at, and none of them seem likely to affect the prospect that Lenovo will be able to go ahead with the Motorola deal. The first, having to do with allowing a foreign company or government to manipulate supply, doesn't apply, he says, because Motorola "represents a very small part of the market." The CFIUS also checks to make sure no sensitive or advanced technology is being leaked. "They're not even top-of-the-line cellphones," says Moran. Finally, there's the risk of the technology being used to allow foreign companies or governments to infiltrate US government or military systems via backdoors or spyware, something Moran also sees as a minimal risk, given Motorola's small market share.

a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

ROM
    KK 4.4.3

Wow, well there are some backhanded compliments.

Default Re: Why Does Motorola being Bought by Lenovo matter?

Many will have moved on from their Moto X by the time any change from the acquisition is felt at the consumer level. By then, we'll all have the chance decide if the new Lemoto XYZ is worth our time and money.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    A895 
    A895 likes this.

Default Opposite Reaction to Lenovo buy out

Moto selling to Lenovo sucks bad. I agree that it was a sad day in the mobile world.
    However, I am thinking opposite of everyone else. I want to BUY another Moto X now before Lenovo gets their mits on the phone, because no matter what, it is, and may forever be, my Favorite Android phone Ever.
    I went back to iPhone because I need one at work, but omg do I miss this phone. I think I have to buy one.

Am I crazy?
    iOS and Android are BOTH great. iPhone 3, 3GS, 4, 4s, 5, 5c, 5S, LG Optimus G Pro, S3, S4, Note 3, Moto X, Nokia 520, Nokia 1520 (8.1)..
    Currently using LG G2 and iPhone 5s.
    Thanked by:
    DS1331 
    davidnc and Darth Spock like this.

Global Posts
    6,490 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Not sure I understand what he's trying to say. Which device is more advanced that the X technologically and what Chinese OEM has greater share in the US?

Global Posts
    6,806 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    Not sure I understand what he's trying to say. Which device is more advanced that the X technologically and what Chinese OEM has greater share in the US?
    I thought HTC did

Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

Default Re: Opposite Reaction to Lenovo buy out

Quote Originally Posted by mayconvert View Post
    I want to BUY another Moto X now before Lenovo gets their mits on the phone, because no matter what, it is, and may forever be, my Favorite Android phone Ever.
    I bought a second one, but I suspect the Moto X2 is already too far down the pipeline for Lenovo to mess with it at all.

I believe the Moto X was approved by the FCC in May and released in August. I am not sure how long it takes the FCC to approve a device, but if it even takes 30 days, that means it was submitted some time in April for review by the FCC.

It's basically February now. So they would have a bit more than 2 months to submit to the FCC if they are planning on keeping on the same timeline for the Moto X2 as the Moto X. That is not much time to tweak a design.

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

Default Re: Opposite Reaction to Lenovo buy out

While irrational, this news still totally bums me out. I really liked the new direction for Moto, and the "Motorola, A Google Company" tagline always made me smile. Like "yes...finally." The X really is such a great phone.

Been said a bunch of places around the web today, but it does feel like this:

Thanked by:
    DS1331 

Yeah I agree I liked Motorola being a Google company but I'm sure they'll still come out with droids and the X and it will be the same as it would have been. Hopefully the updates are still just as fast now though

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    6,806 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by DS1331 View Post
    Yeah I agree I liked Motorola being a Google company but I'm sure they'll still come out with droids and the X and it will be the same as it would have been. Hopefully the updates are still just as fast now though

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app
    I doubt there'll be much change anytime soon, but the X line will never be the same now

wizzrah likes this.

Global Posts
    3,832 Global Posts
    ROM
    WDGI EX Rom v1.0

I doubt there'll be much change anytime soon, but the X line will never be the same now

It won't be the same sure, but Lenovo has been really good in many areas. I'm sure they won't disappoint and if they do, I don't think it will be that bad.

Sent from my One Xl using Tapatalk
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

ADB Console by wizzrah. Check it out!: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sof...e-wizzrah.html

Global Posts
    6,806 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by wizzrah View Post
    It won't be the same sure, but Lenovo has been really good in many areas. I'm sure they won't disappoint and if they do, I don't think it will be that bad.

Let's hope they don't. The software strategy Moto was going with was going amazing. I'm probably still going to get the second X phone, since it'll likely have the near-stock Android that came with the original. Otherwise it's Nexus

Global Posts
    3,832 Global Posts
    ROM
    WDGI EX Rom v1.0

Let's hope they don't. The software strategy Moto was going with was going amazing. I'm probably still going to get the second X phone, since it'll likely have the near-stock Android that came with the original. Otherwise it's Nexus

A light UI is the way to go! A Lenovo Nexus is something I thought I would never hear...

“Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

ADB Console by wizzrah. Check it out!: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sof...e-wizzrah.html

Global Posts
    6,806 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

A light UI is the way to go! A Lenovo Nexus is something I thought I would never hear...

Only if Moto makes the phone. Can't believe no other company can get close to what Moto does with the radios. Even Apple sucks

Global Posts
    3,832 Global Posts
    ROM
    WDGI EX Rom v1.0

Only if Moto makes the phone. Can't believe no other company can get close to what Moto does with the radios. Even Apple sucks

I thought they said that the deal wouldn't affect the method of production currently in use by Motorola.

Global Posts
    6,806 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

I thought they said that the deal wouldn't affect the method of production currently in use by Motorola.

Source? I know they were asked but they didn't answer directly

Global Posts
    3,832 Global Posts
    ROM
    WDGI EX Rom v1.0

Source? I know they were asked but they didn't answer directly

I read it somewhere on the interwebz. I'll find it again. Wasn't there also a conversation about it here in this thread? And I hope they won't lower their standards on quality.

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819 ... LastLast