Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Would you still buy a Moto X post Motorola/Lenovo Deal?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

41 44.09%
  • No

14 15.05%
  • Wait and see

38 40.86%
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree230Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #426  
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,582 Global Posts

Default Re: Lenovo reportedly set to buy Motorola from Google for up to $3 billion

Quote Originally Posted by randian View Post
    Presumably Moto still has a license to use the patents, otherwise they'd hardly be worth what Lenovo paid.
    If this deal goes through, Google will still own most of the patents from Motorola. I imagine licensing them to Lenovo is part of the deal.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Default Re: Why Does Motorola being Bought by Lenovo matter?

Quote Originally Posted by paisley99 View Post
    Someone said they actually cried over it. lol.
    Oh wow. Lol

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App

Default Re: Lenovo fallout

Well looks like holdin off on a moto x was a smart idea. Can't see updates coming nearly as fast as before. And being on Verizon it would have been nice to have a near nexus device. Oh well, maybe next nexus will come to Verizon

Global Posts
    8,904 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by Premium1 View Post
    Well looks like holdin off on a moto x was a smart idea. Can't see updates coming nearly as fast as before. And being on Verizon it would have been nice to have a near nexus device. Oh well, maybe next nexus will come to Verizon
    The changes from being sold to Lenovo will take time to make a difference. It took two years under Google for Motorola to turn around and release the Moto X, so I imagine it will take at least a year for Lenovo to make changes to Moto's current strategy

Posted via Android Central App
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Citizen Coyote likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,716 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

One of the main reasons many bought the Moto X was the USA moniker on the back. I suspect that trend should continue if Lenovo is serious about a strong US market.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Premium1 View Post
    In the short term (the next couple years) I don't see much of anything changing. I don't think the updates came fast because of Google, I think they came fast because of phone software design. (it was very close to stock)
    UJ95x likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #432  
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,582 Global Posts

Punit Soni's team doesn't report to Lenovo yet.

Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Default Re: Lenovo reportedly set to buy Motorola from Google for up to $3 billion

Quote Originally Posted by Cozume View Post
    I try to minimize how much of my data Google has access, too, but I would have liked for them to continue to fund Motorola so I could get a near stock android experience for a great price. I am on Verizon, so no Nexus for me.
    This is my only issue with this. Possibly losing the only stock Android experience (and at a great price, nonetheless) on Verizon. If I was on AT&T or T-Mobile I wouldn't have as big of a complaint as I could use a Nexus or a Google Play Edition phone. But as it stands now, there's a good/decent chance I'll have to go to a different phone or switch carriers.
    Premium1 likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wildo6882 View Post
    Possibly losing the only stock Android experience (and at a great price, nonetheless) on Verizon. If I was on AT&T or T-Mobile I wouldn't have as big of a complaint as I could use a Nexus or a Google Play Edition phone. But as it stands now, there's a good/decent chance I'll have to go to a different phone or switch carriers.
    I have an UDP so I am not going anywhere. I hope if there is no near stock android experience for us Verizonites that at least HTC/LG/Samsung will offer dev eds with unlockable bootloaders.

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Default Would you still buy a Moto X post Motorola/Lenovo Deal?

I was about to buy a Moto X,but now Im unsure of this Motorola/Lenovo deal..

I think I can live with delayed updates.Im more worried about bloat ware than anything..

Global Posts
    8,904 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Default Re: Would you still buy a Moto X post Motorola/Lenovo Deal?

Well the Moto X is already out, so there won't be any additional "bloat" added to that l. I'd get the X if you were already interested; its the best phone for the time being and the Lenovo deal won't make a difference any time soon as far as updates and support go

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by Wildo6882 View Post
    This is my only issue with this. Possibly losing the only stock Android experience (and at a great price, nonetheless) on Verizon. If I was on AT&T or T-Mobile I wouldn't have as big of a complaint as I could use a Nexus or a Google Play Edition phone. But as it stands now, there's a good/decent chance I'll have to go to a different phone or switch carriers.
    Why does stock matter so much to you? Shouldn't you get the phone that suits your needs in your day to day life and not just worry about whatever future updates you (can or could) possibly get? That's what I did. My Moto X has good battery life, a not huge screen, and useful features. Only pitfall is email handling, but that's all android phones.

Global Posts
    8,904 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    Why does stock matter so much to you? Shouldn't you get the phone that suits your needs in your day to day life and not just worry about whatever future updates you (can or could) possibly get? That's what I did. My Moto X has good battery life, a not huge screen, and useful features. Only pitfall is email handling, but that's all android phones.

Stock android would fit his needs, I don't think he wants it purely for the sake of having stock. Just that it's the best implementation of android on phones nowadays

Thanked by:

I owned lenovo phone and they are crap at updates. Their warranty is also crap compared to samsung.

I hope they won't turn motorola towards that because I'm considering a moto too.

Sent using Tapatalk
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #440  
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,582 Global Posts

Depends when the deal closes. Will the Moto X still be for sale?

Global Posts
    8,904 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Depends when the deal closes. Will the Moto X still be for sale?
    Until Valentine's Day. Don't think the sale changed that

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #442  
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,582 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post

I was asking if the Motorola Moto X would still be commercially available when the Lenovo deal actually closes.

Pretty sure he meant when the sale from Google to Lenovo completes.

Global Posts
    8,904 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    I was asking if the Motorola Moto X would still be commercially available when the Lenovo deal actually closes.
    Ah, OK. Then probably not

Stock android would fit his needs, I don't think he wants it purely for the sake of having stock. Just that it's the best implementation of android on phones nowadays

Not really. Stock android has some of the least amount of features. Nothing really unique about it besides being a Google Phone.

Default Re: Breaking News: Lenovo set to buyout Motorola Mobility from Google

My Google Translator is broken. How do you say MOAR SPECS in Chinese?
    I customized my signature using Motomaker

Because I prefer stock Android over a skin. And I don't want to root to get it. I also like quick updates. It's what works best for me and that's what I want to use. I've waited since the Galaxy Nexus debacle to get a stock phone. And I have unlimited data so I really don't want to leave Verizon.

Global Posts
    8,904 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Default Re: Google to sell Motorola Mobility to Lenovo for around $3 billion.

Not really. Stock android has some of the least amount of features. Nothing really unique about it besides being a Google Phone.

It's not about it being unique or having a plethora of features. Most of the features found in other flagships and that are advertised as selling points don't work very well or don't add to the user experience at all. (Looking at you Samsung)
    Having no skin to obstruct the phone and not having an ugly UI like most other phones do only takes away from what makes the phone enjoyable. Plus you get far slower updates with a skin

It's not about it being unique or having a plethora of features. Most of the features found in other flagships and that are advertised as selling points don't work very well or don't add to the user experience at all. (Looking at you Samsung)
    Having no skin to obstruct the phone and not having an ugly UI like most other phones do only takes away from what makes the phone enjoyable. Plus you get far slower updates with a skin

But if stock phones are so enjoyable, why do they do poorly with average consumers?

Global Posts
    8,904 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

But if stock phones are so enjoyable, why do they do poorly with average consumers?

Because average customers buy into the advertised features and buy anything with Samsung/Apple in the name. It's all about the brand
    I guarantee that an overwhelming majority of people don't even know what skin their phone has and couldn't care less which one it has

Thanked by:
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021 ... LastLast