Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Would you still buy a Moto X post Motorola/Lenovo Deal?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

41 44.09%
  • No

14 15.05%
  • Wait and see

38 40.86%
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223 ... LastLast
Like Tree230Likes

Global Posts
    8,094 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Uh, I've always thought that average users WERE the kinds of people who don't know or care about the specs of their phones.
    Lol. Yeah you're probably right, I was replying to what he said and didn't even think about that. Fixed

Posted via Android Central App
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Default Re: Keep or Return for Nexus 5: What's the future?

Quote Originally Posted by thegrants82 View Post
    It is a done deal.
    Lenovo will axe as many as possible, obviously you have not followed Lenovo at all in the past. You should read up. Motorola smart phones are toast. They will cut corners and get cheaper and cheaper. Thats what Lenovo does. You do understand this right?
    What are you basing this on? It makes absolutely no sense to buy a company and then destroy it by going backwards. Lenovo is no dummy and they clearly proved it with IBM PC business, which is doing extremely well and still carries the iconic IBM design.
    It sure is hard to imagine how Motorola can be saved from bleeding so much money but IMO Lenovo can do this because as oppose to Google, they want to kick *** in this segment. Google was always afraid to offend their partners and compete with them. Lenovo would also be more focused on this.
    IMO what Lenovo must do to reverse Moto loses and compete with Samsung (in no particular order):

1. Keep doing what Motorola is doing in terms of SW (pure Android + extremely useful add-ons) and speedy updates.
    2. Release a true flagship phone to compete with GS4/G2, etc. Yes, a 5" phone with top line specs (that's what excites people and resonates on reviews and general public, whether it's justifiable or not). Keep doing the MotoMaker.
    3. IMO this is the key. Make a freaking camera worthy enough to compete with iPhone! This is the single biggest complaint from EVERY single review you read of any Android phone. It's either a bad camera or close, but not there yet. Make the camera BETTER than iPhone.
    4. Sell globally and on all caries from day one (like the competition). The games that were played with Moto X really hurt it.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    8,094 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by tr-1 View Post
    3. IMO this is the key. Make a freaking camera worthy enough to compete with iPhone! This is the single biggest complaint from EVERY single review you read of any Android phone. It's either a bad camera or close, but not there yet. Make the camera BETTER than iPhone.
    Not sure what reviews you've been watching/reading but most of the ones I have seen, have several Android phones ahead of the iPhone.
    Their camera isn't as good compared to the competition as it used to be. I'd still put it within the Top 5, but not #1

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Default Re: Lenovo reportedly set to buy Motorola from Google for up to $3 billion

Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    The problem is people (the average consumer) does not care or complains but does nothing about it, so nothing changes.

You asked why anyone would want stock android, I and a few others gave you our reasoning, and your response is it's pointless because the average consumer doesn't know or care about it. Well great, that's fine for them. Every person has different needs, some people make use of the features that Samsung tacks on, others want a simpler and more efficient device. Neither is wrong, because it suits their needs. If you think everyone should have the same experience, get an iPhone, only one company makes it and the only difference between each year's models is usually the storage size (until we got the 5s &5c this year). What I was saying was that the other OEMS could learn from Moto and make their phones more efficient while still putting their mark on them, why is that a bad thing? Having a smoother running phone would also help them when they're compared to other OSs on the sales floor.

As far as doing something about it, the only way you can effect change is to do what I did, speak with my wallet. I left HTC and tried Samsung, when that option didn't work out for me, I went to Moto. You can talk to them until you're blue in the face, but if their sales drop they're forced to reevaluate their approach. As far as not knowing the difference, some people don't inform themselves when they make purchases. Until someone lays it out for them, or they become informed on their own, they'll never know the difference. And if the uninformed is going to be who dictates the direction of these companies, then everything will have to be dumbed down for them.
    Last edited by vzwuser76; 01-31-2014 at 09:41 PM.
    tr-1 likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

It sure is hard to imagine how Motorola can be saved from bleeding so much money
    I don't know enough about Motorola's structure to know why its losses are so high, but damn, they sure do lose a lot of money. Any insight? Is it just too expensive to make $hit in the US?

IMO what Lenovo must do to reverse Moto loses and compete with Samsung (in no particular order):

1. Keep doing what Motorola is doing in terms of SW (pure Android + extremely useful add-ons) and speedy updates.
    2. Release a true flagship phone to compete with GS4/G2, etc. Yes, a 5" phone with top line specs (that's what excites people and resonates on reviews and general public, whether it's justifiable or not). Keep doing the MotoMaker.
    Agreed on all points but it still may not be possible to have any of the manufacturing done here without taking a loss and if so, good bye moto maker.

4. Sell globally and on all caries from day one (like the competition).
    That's easier said than done in countries outside the US.

The games that were played with Moto X really hurt it.
    what games?

I think the games he's talking about are things like MotoMaker being exclusive to AT&T, starting the price where it was, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Not sure what reviews you've been watching/reading but most of the ones I have seen, have several Android phones ahead of the iPhone.
    Their camera isn't as good compared to the competition as it used to be. I'd still put it within the Top 5, but not #1

The iPhone cameras (4s and up) aren't necessarily the absolute best, but they perform consistently. And they're sharp enough to look good on a 3.5"/4" screen 😁

Sent from my Moto X
    tr-1 likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #483  
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,030 Global Posts

Default Re: Would you still buy a Moto X post Motorola/Lenovo Deal?

Quote Originally Posted by dmark44 View Post
    No matter how independent they operated from their parent company, I see some Google personality in their marketing, website, boot-up animations and that spotlight player.

While I liked the fact that Motorola has been owned by Google it's the product itself sold me. If the Moto X 2 is just as good a product and I'm shopping when Lenovo owns them, I'll definitely be buying it.

Sent from my Moto X
    If trying to make a cheap phone, wouldn't it make sense to no invest in making a custom skin/UI for it?

Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Banned

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

Wait and see. I steer clear of buying anything from any company that's in the middle of a transition
    Thanked by:

Guess what, the sun will come up again tomorrow and the moto x will still be a great phone. And I am guessing that paranoid people will still be paranoid people! Chris

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry, tdizzel and JimBen73 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    If trying to make a cheap phone, wouldn't it make sense to no invest in making a custom skin/UI for it?

You're right, what I was thinking was a possible budget Lenovo branded phone. They've already got a skin they put on phones don't they, they're just not available in the US?

Sent from my Moto X

Run because Lenovo is terrible. Motto x has peaked and it's all downhill from
    Here.
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vzwuser76 View Post
    I think the games he's talking about are things like MotoMaker being exclusive to AT&T, starting the price where it was, etc.
    OK, well as for the former, that made business sense since Motorola had the established Droid relationship with Verizon and was now trying to sell phones on ATT. So they gave ATT that to try to build a relationship.

As for the latter, that was just a miscalculation on Motorola's part. They wrongly felt that specs don't matter when it comes to price. As much as I like my Moto X, I don't want to pay a premium price unless the hardware or casing are premium.
    Banned

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dmark44 View Post
    The iPhone cameras (4s and up) aren't necessarily the absolute best, but they perform consistently. And they're sharp enough to look good on a 3.5"/4" screen ��

Sent from my Moto X
    true, but even a mediocre camera will do that if all you care about is how it looks on a 4" screen

Quote Originally Posted by xchange View Post
    true, but even a mediocre camera will do that if all you care about is how it looks on a 4" screen
    Yeah, I was implying that (part of) their IQ reputation is more from what people see on their phones than from being viewed full size on their computers.

Sent from my Moto X

It depends. With the HTC One + and Galaxy S5 right around the corner, the Nexus 5 available right now, and the uncertainty regarding to the future of the Moto X, you should probably wait before signing up for two years.

But if you absolutely need a phone now and won't mind buying another one within the next year if you don't like the direction lenovo takes Motorola, then by all means get the Moto X, its still a great handset and will get at least one more update before lenovo has any impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozume View Post
    OK, well as for the former, that made business sense since Motorola had the established Droid relationship with Verizon and was now trying to sell phones on ATT. So they gave ATT that to try to build a relationship.

As for the latter, that was just a miscalculation on Motorola's part. They wrongly felt that specs don't matter when it comes to price. As much as I like my Moto X, I don't want to pay a premium price unless the hardware or casing are premium.
    I agree with you on the second part, but so far as AT&T, they seem to get more exclusives than any of the other carriers. The iPhone for how many years, not to mention some of the WP phones like the 1020. Keeping it sequestered on one carrier (even though they have close to half of the total subscribers) is shooting yourself in the foot. If they had at least limited it to one month it wouldn't have been so bad, but 3 months in the mobile sphere was too much. During the time it was on AT&T, the X had to compete on other carriers against the G2, Note 3, 5s, and Nexus 5, without what was arguably one of it's best features available. It took the X out of the running for me, because I needed 32GB of storage and a back that wasn't slippery, otherwise I would've gotten the Dev Edition X. Instead I got a Maxx.

If anything, the other rumor about the reason behind the exclusivity, wanting to do a limited test so they didn't get overwhelmed, makes more sense.
    tr-1 likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

Keeping it sequestered on one carrier (even though they have close to half of the total subscribers) is shooting yourself in the foot. .
    keeping it sequestered on one carrier for almost 4 years didn't hurt the iPhone at all, though.

Global Posts
    8,094 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by xchange View Post
    No phone takes pictures that look good when printed out large scale. Maybe the Lumia line because of the high MP count, but even my S4 had shots starting to blur on my pc screen

Global Posts
    8,094 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    It depends. With the HTC One + and Galaxy S5 right around the corner, the Nexus 5 available right now, and the uncertainty regarding to the future of the Moto X, you should probably wait before signing up for two years.

But if you absolutely need a phone now and won't mind buying another one within the next year if you don't like the direction lenovo takes Motorola, then by all means get the Moto X, its still a great handset and will get at least one more update before lenovo has any impact.
    I agree. I think it wont even have an effect on the X2, at least in the beginning. Maybe a few months in, Lenovo decides to drop long-term support for it, but I'll probably still end up getting it because I just don't see myself getting any of the other phones offered.

I would most certainly buy a Moto X full retail. Wouldn't sign a contract for one though.

Great American phone.

Global Posts
    8,094 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by charlee08 View Post
    I would most certainly buy a Moto X full retail. Wouldn't sign a contract for one though.

Great American phone.

Hmm, yeah that makes sense. Having it on contract would get you that phone for two years, so it will probably have no support by that time. And by then the Lenovo deal will probably have taken an effect on Moto's software and update support

charlee08 likes this.

keeping it sequestered on one carrier for almost 4 years didn't hurt the iPhone at all, though.
    It may not have hurt them, but how many would they've sold if they would've been available on all carriers from the start? And there was nowhere near the competition the first few years the iPhone was out. Look at the number of smart phones available in 2007, and how many were available in 2013. Today there are a lot more alternatives for potential customers without having to change carriers. My point is, if you want to get your phones into the most hands, an exclusivity agreement is not the way to go.
    UJ95x likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

It may not have hurt them, but how many would they've sold if they would've been available on all carriers from the start?
    Verizon rejected Apple's terms on selling the iPhone - i.e., Apple retains control over the device and the relationship with the consumer. That term is inextricably tied to the iPhone's success. So if Apple had given in to Verizon just to get their phone on Verizon's network, the iPhone would not be anywhere near as successful as it is.

Now if they could have gotten on Verizon's network under their terms, maybe it would have worked. But Verizon said no to Apple's terms and Apple gave an exclusive deal to ATT in order for ATT to accept Apple's terms.

And there was nowhere near the competition the first few years the iPhone was out.
    Which was why Apple was able to dictate the terms of the contract with ATT. Verizon said no to those terms.

what games?
    ATT Exclusive MotoMaker (and I believe it was exclusive to certain carriers first)
    Not being sold in EU from the beginning

It may be hard to sell globally on day 1 but others can do it and if you want to succeed, you gotta do it too at any cost. I still can't believe Google did not do it
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223 ... LastLast