Google to sell Motorola Mobility to Lenovo for $2.91 billion

Would you still buy a Moto X post Motorola/Lenovo Deal?

• Total voters

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lenovo reportedly set to buy Motorola from Google for up to $3 billion

*ick* No. As (I think) I wrote, earlier: I'm pinning my hopes on Ubuntu. I would truly love nothing more than to leave Android behind. As it is: I'm shedding as much Google as practicable.

An Ubuntu phone is unlikely, I haven't seen or heard any news about it since early last year.

Posted via Android Central App

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: Google to sell Motorola Mobility to Lenovo for around $3 billion.

Source? I know they were asked but they didn't answer directly :-\

Engadget has the quote. I posted a link to the article in one of these threads.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

As it is: I'm shedding as much Google as practicable.
I try to minimize how much of my data Google has access, too, but I would have liked for them to continue to fund Motorola so I could get a near stock android experience for a great price. I am on Verizon, so no Nexus for me.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Google to sell Motorola Mobility to Lenovo for around $3 billion.

Also I expect those core app updates via playstore will also come to an end under Lenovo

sent from my Moto X

Based on?

Yeah I agree I liked Motorola being a Google company but I'm sure they'll still come out with droids and the X and it will be the same as it would have been. Hopefully the updates are still just as fast now though

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

Motorola is still the exclusive DROID partner for Verizon.

*ick* No. As (I think) I wrote, earlier: I'm pinning my hopes on Ubuntu. I would truly love nothing more than to leave Android behind. As it is: I'm shedding as much Google as practicable.

..good luck with that.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Keep or Return for Nexus 5: What's the future?

It is a done deal.
Lenovo will axe as many as possible, obviously you have not followed Lenovo at all in the past. You should read up. Motorola smart phones are toast. They will cut corners and get cheaper and cheaper. Thats what Lenovo does. You do understand this right?

Please link me to where the sale has been approved.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Presumably Moto still has a license to use the patents, otherwise they'd hardly be worth what Lenovo paid.

If this deal goes through, Google will still own most of the patents from Motorola. I imagine licensing them to Lenovo is part of the deal.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: Lenovo fallout

Well looks like holdin off on a moto x was a smart idea. Can't see updates coming nearly as fast as before. And being on Verizon it would have been nice to have a near nexus device. Oh well, maybe next nexus will come to Verizon

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Well looks like holdin off on a moto x was a smart idea. Can't see updates coming nearly as fast as before. And being on Verizon it would have been nice to have a near nexus device. Oh well, maybe next nexus will come to Verizon

The changes from being sold to Lenovo will take time to make a difference. It took two years under Google for Motorola to turn around and release the Moto X, so I imagine it will take at least a year for Lenovo to make changes to Moto's current strategy

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

One of the main reasons many bought the Moto X was the USA moniker on the back. I suspect that trend should continue if Lenovo is serious about a strong US market.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

In the short term (the next couple years) I don't see much of anything changing. I don't think the updates came fast because of Google, I think they came fast because of phone software design. (it was very close to stock)

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

I try to minimize how much of my data Google has access, too, but I would have liked for them to continue to fund Motorola so I could get a near stock android experience for a great price. I am on Verizon, so no Nexus for me.

This is my only issue with this. Possibly losing the only stock Android experience (and at a great price, nonetheless) on Verizon. If I was on AT&T or T-Mobile I wouldn't have as big of a complaint as I could use a Nexus or a Google Play Edition phone. But as it stands now, there's a good/decent chance I'll have to go to a different phone or switch carriers.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Possibly losing the only stock Android experience (and at a great price, nonetheless) on Verizon. If I was on AT&T or T-Mobile I wouldn't have as big of a complaint as I could use a Nexus or a Google Play Edition phone. But as it stands now, there's a good/decent chance I'll have to go to a different phone or switch carriers.
I have an UDP so I am not going anywhere. I hope if there is no near stock android experience for us Verizonites that at least HTC/LG/Samsung will offer dev eds with unlockable bootloaders.

gimbo22

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Would you still buy a Moto X post Motorola/Lenovo Deal?

I was about to buy a Moto X,but now Im unsure of this Motorola/Lenovo deal..

I think I can live with delayed updates.Im more worried about bloat ware than anything..

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Would you still buy a Moto X post Motorola/Lenovo Deal?

Well the Moto X is already out, so there won't be any additional "bloat" added to that l. I'd get the X if you were already interested; its the best phone for the time being and the Lenovo deal won't make a difference any time soon as far as updates and support go

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

This is my only issue with this. Possibly losing the only stock Android experience (and at a great price, nonetheless) on Verizon. If I was on AT&T or T-Mobile I wouldn't have as big of a complaint as I could use a Nexus or a Google Play Edition phone. But as it stands now, there's a good/decent chance I'll have to go to a different phone or switch carriers.

Why does stock matter so much to you? Shouldn't you get the phone that suits your needs in your day to day life and not just worry about whatever future updates you (can or could) possibly get? That's what I did. My Moto X has good battery life, a not huge screen, and useful features. Only pitfall is email handling, but that's all android phones.

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Why does stock matter so much to you? Shouldn't you get the phone that suits your needs in your day to day life and not just worry about whatever future updates you (can or could) possibly get? That's what I did. My Moto X has good battery life, a not huge screen, and useful features. Only pitfall is email handling, but that's all android phones.

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App

Stock android would fit his needs, I don't think he wants it purely for the sake of having stock. Just that it's the best implementation of android on phones nowadays

gdmin

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site

I owned lenovo phone and they are crap at updates. Their warranty is also crap compared to samsung.

I hope they won't turn motorola towards that because I'm considering a moto too.

Sent using Tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Depends when the deal closes. Will the Moto X still be for sale?