Google to sell Motorola Mobility to Lenovo for $2.91 billion

Would you still buy a Moto X post Motorola/Lenovo Deal?

• Total voters

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Update 3 - Apparently Lenovo wanted to own Motorola (for the device business) all along: http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/30/second-times-the-charm-for-lenovos-motorola-deal/

Update 2 - Google Blog: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2014/01/lenovo-to-acquire-motorola-mobility.html

Lenovo to acquire Motorola Mobility

Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014
We’ve just signed an agreement to sell Motorola to Lenovo for $2.91 billion. As this is an important move for Android users everywhere, I wanted to explain why in detail.

Update 1 -

Verge is updating to say that it is official. Google sells Motorola to Lenovo for $2.91 billion

Google is selling Motorola Mobility to Lenovo, giving the Chinese smartphone manufacturer a major presence in the US market. Lenovo will buy the division for $2.91 billion in a mixture of cash and stock. Google will retain ownership of the vast majority of Lenovo's patents, while 2,000 patents and a license on the remaining patents will go to Lenovo.

Lenovo reportedly set to buy Motorola from Google for up to $3 billion

Google is reportedly nearing a deal to sell Motorola Mobility to Lenovo, a move that would give the Chinese smartphone manufacturer a major presence in the US smartphone market. News of the potential acquisition comes from both Reuters and China Daily, with the latter reporting that the acquisition could be announced as soon as Thursday morning in Beijing — just a matter of hours from now.

Last edited:

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Breaking News: Lenovo set to buyout Motorola Mobility from Google

[outside linkage removed by moderator]

Lenovo reportedly is buying motorola mobility from google...... WHAT?!?!?!?

Last edited by a moderator:

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Breaking News: Lenovo set to buyout Motorola Mobility from Google

Lenovo reportedly is buying motorola mobility from google...... WHAT?!?!?!?

I don't believe it. But just in case, i take it that means the next moto can't be the next moto and it'll have to be something totally different? i'll be so sad if i can't have my always ready feature.

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

The Verge is a reputable news group. Other news groups are starting to report the same thing. No word from Punit Soni on Google+ yet as to what is the official word.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Does this count as a Spring cleaning?

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

Honestly, this isn't very surprising. Will be interesting to see how management shakes up.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Google selling Moto to Lenovo for 3 billion.

Good! Now buy HTC and turn that sole manufacturer into the Nexus line and the Play Edition devices can be all the other manufacturers.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Lenovo reportedly set to buy Motorola from Google for up to $3 billion

I'm so curious as to why (the buy in the first place). Is if they just did it for patents what did they gain really for that amount of money. Blur was *alright*, but still. That is a huge loss, or am i reading it wrong, bought for 12.5B and sold for 3B? *confused*

They sold off Motorola home to Arris.

I'm thinking it's true - Google bought Motorola for the patents but the patents ended up not being as strong as they initially thought. I bet Google keeps some/all of the Motorola patents and has a licensing deal with Lenovo.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

I'm so curious as to why (the buy in the first place). Is if they just did it for patents what did they gain really for that amount of money. Blur was *alright*, but still. That is a huge loss, or am i reading it wrong, bought for 12.5B and sold for 3B? *confused*

they sold motorola Home to Arris for 2.35 bn and Motorola has 3 bn cash on hand.

they could sell off patents which gives them about 4-5 Bn

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site

I really hope this doesn't ruin the quick updates for Moto devices...

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site

I was pretty happy with a US company making my phone in the US, and then on top of that, it's the best phone I've ever owned.

Guess it was too good to last.

Posted via Android Central App

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

Damn, right when Motorola was getting good again. I'd rather them be there own company again than be bought by lenovo. On the bright side, there's no official announcement yet.

Posted via Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Google selling Moto to Lenovo for 3 billion.

This is the most disappointing news since the Nexus 5 didn't come to Verizon...

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: Google selling Moto to Lenovo for 3 billion.

I wonder if there was any pressure from Samsung on Google to dump their competing business. Maybe this was a compromise.

Wow. Good point/conspiracy theory.

Either way, I'm not terribly happy. I was loving the direction that Moto was headed and I can't see how a Lenovo takeover will continue with this direction. Until I can get GPE or Nexus phones on Verizon, this was my only option, and I love it. If this doesn't alter the Moto path, I'll be ok with it. But I don't see how that can happen with a Chinese company taking over.