Google to sell Motorola Mobility to Lenovo for $2.91 billion

Would you still buy a Moto X post Motorola/Lenovo Deal?

• Total voters

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Breaking News: Lenovo set to buyout Motorola Mobility from Google

It's not surprising if you believed that Google bought Motorola for the patents.

More so that it was Lenovo that bought it. Part of me knew that it was just for the patents, the other part was hoping that Google will maintain integrity of Motorola and what they have done for the Cellular Phone Industry.

brian7751

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Supposedly Google wants to offload Motorola to Lenovo

why omg i cannot believe what im reading i bought a Motorola droid maxx because of 3 reasons
1.battery life
2.reception
3.owned by google so i thought faster updates from google then other manufacturers

now this sad news i hope we still continue to get updates in a speedy fashion if this does happen

i mean i was already happy that motorola started to do updates through the play store to get around verizon and their most of time slow updates then the moto g for so cheap and rumors of an even cheaper $50 phone but as long as there is apple and samsung motorola will never get the attention it needs :(

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Lenovo reportedly set to buy Motorola from Google for up to $3 billion

Verge is updating to say that it is official.

Google is selling Motorola Mobility to Lenovo, giving the Chinese smartphone manufacturer a major presence in the US market. Lenovo will buy the division for $2.91 billion in a mixture of cash and stock. Google will retain ownership of the vast majority of Lenovo's patents, while 2,000 patents and a license on the remaining patents will go to Lenovo.

charlee08

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site

Google was the only reason why I bought a Moto X in the first place.

We all might as well bite the bullet and realize that Samsung is likely the route to be going for Android phones, although I would prefer my phone to be made in America.

Eventually it's going to come down to just Samsung and Apple for phones. Companies like HTC, Motorola, etc won't be able to keep up.

Posted via Android Central App

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site

Google was the only reason why I bought a Moto X in the first place.

We all might as well bite the bullet and realize that Samsung is likely the route to be going for Android phones, although I would prefer my phone to be made in America.

Eventually it's going to come down to just Samsung and Apple for phones. Companies like HTC, Motorola, etc won't be able to keep up.

Posted via Android Central App

Soon we'll all have phones with Tizen and bloatware will fill up 15 out of the 16GB of storage.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am now.

How is this not surprising? This was such low key that the announcement kicked us in the place where the sun doesn't shine. This move is such a huge enigma.

It's not surprising if you believed that Google bought Motorola for the patents.

Bingo.

And that's exactly what they did. There was plenty of press on that exact issue leading up to and following the acquisition. I know of at least a couple people at then-Motorola (now Motorola Solutions) who were genuinely excited by the deal because they were able to off load the consumer hardware side of the business as well; they thought they fleeced Google.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

why omg i cannot believe what im reading i bought a Motorola droid maxx because of 3 reasons
1.battery life
2.reception
3.owned by google so i thought faster updates from google then other manufacturers

now this sad news i hope we still continue to get updates in a speedy fashion if this does happen

i mean i was already happy that motorola started to do updates through the play store to get around verizon and their most of time slow updates then the moto g for so cheap and rumors of an even cheaper $50 phone but as long as there is apple and samsung motorola will never get the attention it needs :(

1. That doesn't change on your current phone.
2. Unless they elect to not use the engineering they've done so far, this won't change on new phones going forward.
3. They make a GPe so they have "early" access.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Say Goodbye to Moto X sales!

If Google offloads Motorola to Lenovo, you can say goodbye to these Moto X sales. These were subsidized by Google. Lenovo isn't going to do that. And they will probably add some crap skin to the future Moto X's.

So get one while they are near stock android and at a great price now while you can!

brian7751

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site

i wonder if the new moto lineup had the snapdragon 800 processor if more people would have bought them and this wouldnt even be a rumor that might come true this its a dual core thing turned a lot of people away i guess

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Say Goodbye to Moto X sales!

If Google offloads Motorola to Lenovo, you can say goodbye to these Moto X sales. These were subsidized by Google. Lenovo isn't going to do that. And they will probably add some crap skin to the future Moto X's.

So get one while they are near stock android and at a great price now while you can!

Where did you find that Lenovo will not have sales?

It's way to early to say what's going to happen.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

If true, this really is terrible news for the future of the Moto line. I really thought they were serious about updates and overall service regarding their devices but now they will just join the ever long list of Android devices that have been EOL'ed way too soon.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

If true, this really is terrible news for the future of the Moto line. I really thought they were serious about updates and overall service regarding their devices but now they will just join the ever long list of Android devices that have been EOL'ed way too soon.

- - - Updated - - -

i wonder if the new moto lineup had the snapdragon 800 processor if more people would have bought them and this wouldnt even be a rumor that might come true this its a dual core thing turned a lot of people away i guess

The 800 will be "old" by that time.

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site

I'm going to have a nightmare tonight where my Moto X updates and has a new Lenovo skin...

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: Say Goodbye to Moto X sales!

Where did you find that Lenovo will not have sales?

It's way to early to say what's going to happen.
I don't know what you mean by where do you find, but this is just putting 2 + 2 together. Motorola is losing money on these sales. The only way this is happening is by Google subsidizing Motorola. Lenovo is a hardware company and is going to need Motorola to turn a profit. They aren't going to subsidize sales like this. Google can subsidize Motorola because they are an advertising company.

The sales might continue with the Moto X, but nothing like this will happen with the Moto X2.

brian7751

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site

- - - Updated - - -

The 800 will be "old" by that time.

hey ry since this did happen to motorola and if things turn for the worst for the company which phone do you think you would purchase next

JoeyW

May 25, 2011
Visit site

....look at this gloomy thread

This could be a good thing guys.. Lenovo's success with the thinkpads... the last years nicely built Lenovo k900 phone that never made it here (please note i said nicely built hardware based from European reviews... I have no idea how their skin ontop of android works, never tried it)

and the best of all... i'm excited for them to give management a great big swift kick in the balls.. BRING BACK THE DROID/MILESTONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

*milestone fanboy, the first phone that made me drop into the deep dark holes of android

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

I generally like Lenovo laptops I've worked with, but I really liked Moto being owned by Google. I'm a bit saddened by this news, but won't dismiss Moto for their new owners. Lenovo... how 'bout you keep building Moto phones in the US? (Granted, not all the current ones are.) Also, keep the bloatware OFF the phones (this is one area you're not always so good about on your PCs.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci