Google to sell Motorola Mobility to Lenovo for $2.91 billion

Would you still buy a Moto X post Motorola/Lenovo Deal?

• Total voters

Zig261

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lenovo reportedly set to buy Motorola from Google for up to $3 billion

Who else would be interested in buying Motorola and can make use of it? I rather have Oppo buying them instead, if they could afford it.

No way. It's better for Motorola to be with a company that has brand recognition with plenty of worldwide distribution networks that won't compromise their creativity.

Posted via Android Central App by Lenovo X

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lenovo fallout

If they continue with Motomaker for the US then they'll need to keep assembling them in the US. I guess we'll Have to see how popular MM becomes.

We already know how popular it is. The Moto X probably won't sell as much once this Valentine's day deal is over. Whatever MM managed to do is what we can expect if they continue with it

Posted via Android Central App

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why Does Motorola being Bought by Lenovo matter?

No one could say for sure under Google but one thing was certain. As long as Google's name was behind Moto, we knew updates would be fairly prompt. Many users who had ruled out any device other than a Nexus(due to bloatware,delayed updates etc) decided to give the X a try because Google was behind Moto. Now that assurance is gone. I hope that Moto continues to update their devices in a timely manor, and continues to put out more devices like the X. But if someone who just bought an X is concerned, they have every right to be.

I say that of someone just bought an X they need not worry. The Moto X is running KitKat and still a very capable phone. Only tech nerds would worry, the average consumer does not apply here.

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Google to sell Motorola Mobility to Lenovo for around $3 billion.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/30/lenovo-motorola-national-security-cfius/

Similar issues have been raised over Lenovo's plans to buy part of IBM's server division. However, as with IBM's ThinkPads before them, the company's x86 servers are already being made in China. "If you worry about penetration via your low-end server, you're going to have to figure out a way to monitor all servers, not just say kick the Chinese company out and we'll be safe," says Professor Theodore Moran, a senior fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics.

Moran says there are three specific issues the CFIUS looks at, and none of them seem likely to affect the prospect that Lenovo will be able to go ahead with the Motorola deal. The first, having to do with allowing a foreign company or government to manipulate supply, doesn't apply, he says, because Motorola "represents a very small part of the market." The CFIUS also checks to make sure no sensitive or advanced technology is being leaked. "They're not even top-of-the-line cellphones," says Moran. Finally, there's the risk of the technology being used to allow foreign companies or governments to infiltrate US government or military systems via backdoors or spyware, something Moran also sees as a minimal risk, given Motorola's small market share.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: Why Does Motorola being Bought by Lenovo matter?

Many will have moved on from their Moto X by the time any change from the acquisition is felt at the consumer level. By then, we'll all have the chance decide if the new Lemoto XYZ is worth our time and money.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Opposite Reaction to Lenovo buy out

Moto selling to Lenovo sucks bad. I agree that it was a sad day in the mobile world.
However, I am thinking opposite of everyone else. I want to BUY another Moto X now before Lenovo gets their mits on the phone, because no matter what, it is, and may forever be, my Favorite Android phone Ever.
I went back to iPhone because I need one at work, but omg do I miss this phone. I think I have to buy one.

Am I crazy?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Not sure I understand what he's trying to say. Which device is more advanced that the X technologically and what Chinese OEM has greater share in the US?

I thought HTC did :eek:

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: Opposite Reaction to Lenovo buy out

I want to BUY another Moto X now before Lenovo gets their mits on the phone, because no matter what, it is, and may forever be, my Favorite Android phone Ever.
I bought a second one, but I suspect the Moto X2 is already too far down the pipeline for Lenovo to mess with it at all.

I believe the Moto X was approved by the FCC in May and released in August. I am not sure how long it takes the FCC to approve a device, but if it even takes 30 days, that means it was submitted some time in April for review by the FCC.

It's basically February now. So they would have a bit more than 2 months to submit to the FCC if they are planning on keeping on the same timeline for the Moto X2 as the Moto X. That is not much time to tweak a design.

smcd5213

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Opposite Reaction to Lenovo buy out

While irrational, this news still totally bums me out. I really liked the new direction for Moto, and the "Motorola, A Google Company" tagline always made me smile. Like "yes...finally." The X really is such a great phone.

Been said a bunch of places around the web today, but it does feel like this:

ZqgIgWm.jpg

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site

Yeah I agree I liked Motorola being a Google company but I'm sure they'll still come out with droids and the X and it will be the same as it would have been. Hopefully the updates are still just as fast now though

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Yeah I agree I liked Motorola being a Google company but I'm sure they'll still come out with droids and the X and it will be the same as it would have been. Hopefully the updates are still just as fast now though

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

I doubt there'll be much change anytime soon, but the X line will never be the same now

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

I doubt there'll be much change anytime soon, but the X line will never be the same now

It won't be the same sure, but Lenovo has been really good in many areas. I'm sure they won't disappoint and if they do, I don't think it will be that bad.

Sent from my One Xl using Tapatalk

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

It won't be the same sure, but Lenovo has been really good in many areas. I'm sure they won't disappoint and if they do, I don't think it will be that bad.

Let's hope they don't. The software strategy Moto was going with was going amazing. I'm probably still going to get the second X phone, since it'll likely have the near-stock Android that came with the original. Otherwise it's Nexus :D

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

Let's hope they don't. The software strategy Moto was going with was going amazing. I'm probably still going to get the second X phone, since it'll likely have the near-stock Android that came with the original. Otherwise it's Nexus :D

A light UI is the way to go! A Lenovo Nexus is something I thought I would never hear...

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

A light UI is the way to go! A Lenovo Nexus is something I thought I would never hear...

Only if Moto makes the phone. Can't believe no other company can get close to what Moto does with the radios. Even Apple sucks

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

Only if Moto makes the phone. Can't believe no other company can get close to what Moto does with the radios. Even Apple sucks

I thought they said that the deal wouldn't affect the method of production currently in use by Motorola.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I thought they said that the deal wouldn't affect the method of production currently in use by Motorola.

Source? I know they were asked but they didn't answer directly :-\

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

Source? I know they were asked but they didn't answer directly :-\

I read it somewhere on the interwebz. I'll find it again. Wasn't there also a conversation about it here in this thread? And I hope they won't lower their standards on quality.