Google to sell Motorola Mobility to Lenovo for $2.91 billion

Would you still buy a Moto X post Motorola/Lenovo Deal?

• Total voters

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Google to sell Motorola Mobility to Lenovo for around $3 billion.

I read it somewhere on the interwebz. I'll find it again. Wasn't there also a conversation about it here in this thread? And I hope they won't lower their standards on quality.

Sent from my One Xl using Tapatalk

Probably lol
Haven't been reading everything that's posted here. I just hope the X2 gets made the same way the X was, and I'll stick with that for 2 years :D

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

Probably lol
Haven't been reading everything that's posted here. I just hope the X2 gets made the same way the X was, and I'll stick with that for 2 years :D

Same as in custom colors, custom processor, custom camera, and custom everything? :p

Sent from my One Xl using Tapatalk

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Re: Lenovo reportedly set to buy Motorola from Google for up to $3 billion

I am so not happy about this. Thank you Google. There goes the only decent phone at Verizon. I used to be a big thinkpad user until IBM sold them to Lenovo. I hear they are still pretty good laptops. I just can't give my money to a Chinese company. Luckily for me there were other options to get a laptop from. I am screwed now because there isn't another option for a phone because Motorola has the best radios. A phone first and foremost needs to be a phone. The rest is just icing on the cake.

I think we should let Google know it is not cool to sell off the last decent American phone manufacturer to China. I think it would be better just to let Motorola spin off back to it's own company. I wish I would have saw this before I upgraded to the Droid MAXX. Blah.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

I think we should let Google know it is not cool to sell off the last decent American phone manufacturer to China.
how do you do that? by leaving android? where ya gonna go? windows phone?

I think it would be better just to let Motorola spin off back to it's own company.
They lose $1B a year. How is that going to happen? It's not. They need a deep pockets to finance their rise from the dead.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

If this happens I don't think there will be an Moto X 2 . Just because developement may have been started that doesnt mean it can't be scraped by Lenovo.

sent from my Moto X

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

If this happens I don't think there will be an Moto X 2 . Just because developement may have been started that doesnt mean it can't be scraped by Lenovo.

sent from my Moto X

And that is a worst case scenario. It's the same for people saying that they will still be based in the US. The new offices in Chicago and the plant in Texas, those weren't paid for by Lenovo, it wouldn't be a big deal to them if they closed them down. They could sell them for a profit if they wanted to, especially if they believe that their manufacturing plants can handle it, the only benefit to keeping them is not having to ship their devices. But the cost of shipping vs maintaining a production facility and paying US wages and benefits may not be worth it for them to do so. And while some point out that the components are made overseas, that is true for almost anything. As I recall the rare earth materials used in those phones aren't found in the US. But the phone is assembled in the US at least, and employs US workers, not just the deliverymen and salesmen that are the only US workers who have anything to do with most other cell phones.

I picked up a Moto X the night before this was announced, it should be here Monday. I hate that now, just like with Samsung, HTC, and LG, I'll be sending money overseas rather than supporting an American company. While many will say Apple is American, their total overseas manufacturing and keeping their money outside the US is actually worse in my eyes. I'm sure they've gotten a lot of tax breaks that helped them grow their business, and now when the country could use that tax money the most, they pull that BS. To me they're an American company only by virtue of geography, not at heart.

If they at least keep Moto's offices and assembly plants open in the US, I may consider them next time around. But it just feels disheartening to see an American tech icon like Moto become foreign owned. I remember when I was going to Tech school, I went to the local thrift store for a tie for career day. When I went to check out, there was an old radio on the counter for sale. It was a Motorola AM radio, I'm guessing from somewhere around the 40s to 60s, due to the frequencies displayed as "Kilo-cycles" instead of KHz. I didn't pick it up since it was $20 and I was in school so there was no budget for nonessential stuff like that. I still kick myself that I didn't sack up and buy it every now and then, especially now though. I remember my first cell phone in '97 was a Motorola (MicroTac 650e), my second a Nokia, and from then until 2009 I only had either Motorola or Nokia phones (8 Motos & 3 Nokia's). Most of them I still have, for nostalgia. It's sad to see the 2 pioneers of this industry end up the way they have. End rant.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Also I expect those core app updates via playstore will also come to an end under Lenovo

sent from my Moto X

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

And that is a worst case scenario. (snip)

Yup I know I am looking at the worse case scenario .I tend to do that with company buyouts until something solid is put out from the new company this case being Lenovo.
I would hope they would/could leave the Moto X developement going as it has been,but I dont know if they would or if it would be possible with Google keeping some of the patents.

I am so not happy about this. Thank you Google. There goes the only decent phone at Verizon.

My thoughts Exactly :(

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

From what I've heard so far, it appears to me that the bigger reason Google acquired Moto in the first place wasn't to get into the handset business so much as it was to use their existing tech and patents to.blaze a trail into other technology fields. After all, the sales of Moto handsets since they bought it were only a tiny fraction of the 12 billion they bought Moto for right? The fact they're keeping 15000 of the patents and only selling 2000 handset specific patents looks to support that. Google is well known for making multi faceted deals that are more than they appear to diversify their tech portfolio. They're even into biotechnology and other things

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why Does Motorola being Bought by Lenovo matter?

Many will have moved on from their Moto X by the time any change from the acquisition is felt at the consumer level. By then, we'll all have the chance decide if the new Lemoto XYZ is worth our time and money.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Exactly this.

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Why Does Motorola being Bought by Lenovo matter?

I'm serious, between here and The Verge people are mad and sad. I don't understand why. Business deals happen that are outside of our control all the time yet this was the one that broke the tech community. Regardless ether Lenovo bought Motorola or not, that Moto X and Moto G will still work as advertised. Someone had the audacity to get mad because they bought a Moto X a month ago and now is venting in the forums about it. Your Moto X will still be able to tweet, and Facebook and play Candy Crush just as it did before this became official. I think we android tech fans collectively need to understand these are phones and devices that are a means to a end. The world won't stop spinning because Motorola got bought from Google, be happy and love your device for what its is now and not what could be or what it could have been. I love my Moto X and still have no regrets regardless of what happens from here on out, I'm on KitKat, I got no complaints.

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App

Someone said they actually cried over it. lol.

Harvinder Sunila

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

A Lenovo Nexus ?...that's an interesting thought.
Maybe that was part of the deal, Google want their Nexus line to break the biggest market...China, what better way than to have Lenovo make the Nexus 6.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

A Lenovo Nexus ?...that's an interesting thought.
Maybe that was part of the deal, Google want their Nexus line to break the biggest market...China, what better way than to have Lenovo make the Nexus 6.

Not sure if you want Lenovo to make the Nexus 6, or Motorola, just under the Lenovo name. Moto would do a better job making it, given Lenovo's smartphone history

Posted via Android Central App

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: Keep or Return for Nexus 5: What's the future?

First, the deal is not done. There are regulatory hurdles that need to be tackled.

Second, if Lenovo keeps key player's from Motorola in place, I have faith that they will continue the work they've done already.

We don't know yet.

It is a done deal.
Lenovo will axe as many as possible, obviously you have not followed Lenovo at all in the past. You should read up. Motorola smart phones are toast. They will cut corners and get cheaper and cheaper. Thats what Lenovo does. You do understand this right?

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: Keep or Return for Nexus 5: What's the future?

It is a done deal.
Lenovo will axe as many as possible, obviously you have not followed Lenovo at all in the past. You should read up. Motorola smart phones are toast. They will cut corners and get cheaper and cheaper. Thats what Lenovo does. You do understand this right?

I'm not sure if you're just trying to get a reaction but let's not act like we know what's going to actually happen either way.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

how do you do that? by leaving android? where ya gonna go? windows phone?

*ick* No. As (I think) I wrote, earlier: I'm pinning my hopes on Ubuntu. I would truly love nothing more than to leave Android behind. As it is: I'm shedding as much Google as practicable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy