Google to sell Motorola Mobility to Lenovo for $2.91 billion

Would you still buy a Moto X post Motorola/Lenovo Deal?

• Total voters

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: Would you still buy a Moto X post Motorola/Lenovo Deal?

No matter how independent they operated from their parent company, I see some Google personality in their marketing, website, boot-up animations and that spotlight player.

While I liked the fact that Motorola has been owned by Google it's the product itself sold me. If the Moto X 2 is just as good a product and I'm shopping when Lenovo owns them, I'll definitely be buying it.

Sent from my Moto X

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Google to sell Motorola Mobility to Lenovo for around $3 billion.

they don't make the parts used to make the phone here, but the phones are made here. Guess it all depends on what you mean by "make a phone."

What you mean is assembled. The parts are made elsewhere (although there are some manufactured here) and then brought to the U.S. where they "combine" all the parts

Posted via Android Central App

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Lenovo reportedly set to buy Motorola from Google for up to $3 billion

Why does stock matter so much to you? Shouldn't you get the phone that suits your needs in your day to day life and not just worry about whatever future updates you (can or could) possibly get? That's what I did. My Moto X has good battery life, a not huge screen, and useful features. Only pitfall is email handling, but that's all android phones.

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App

While faster updates is a plus, I prefer stock android for the performance. Some of those skins with all of those features built into them can seriously drag down performance. While the 2013 Moto line isn't as stock as a Nexus device, they're damned close. Up until my Maxx, all my phones had skins (4 HTC & 1 Samsung) and it seemed like even though the specs kept climbing, the performance stayed the same or even was worse. Because with each iteration of the skin they became more and more resource hungry. Look at the HTC phones that came with Sense 3, they were the worst with all the 3D animations everywhere. Touchwiz has a lot of features no doubt, but not everyone uses them. There were times when my S3 was about as fast as my OG Droid Incredible in everyday use, there's no excuse for that.

Companies like HTC, Samsung, & LG would do better to go with a stock skin and separate they're features out of the OS like Moto did with their phones. The features could be removed if the user doesn't want them, there would be faster updates/bug fixes for both the OS and the features. If Moto hadn't done this with the X and the Droids, the camera situation might still not be resolved. I don't mind putting your own stamp on things, but if it hampers the performance, what's the point?

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

What you mean is assembled. The parts are made elsewhere (although there are some manufactured here) and then brought to the U.S. where they "combine" all the parts

Like I said in an earlier post, some things can't be sourced in the US, like rare earth materials. I remember reading an article a few years ago talking about how Asia was one of the last places that had any usable amount of them. Either way, instead of the money going to an American based company and employing workers in our country, this deal may end up sending money and jobs out of the country, something we need to stop doing with unemployment as high as it is. If this keeps up we'll be a nation of consumers only, not producers. And that isn't sustainable.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

Totally just a hunch, but I could see the high end models staying with Motorola's current principles of being close to stock and minimal bloatware. But lower end models "subsidized" by loading bloatware and maybe a Lenovo skin. That wouldn't bode well for Moto G successors.

I am concerned that since Lenovo has some services they want to offer, like their own cloud service, that were going to see some Lenovo apps on all Motorola and Lenovo phones in the future.

Sent from my Moto X

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

What you mean is assembled.
You can call it whatever you like. The phones are made here. The parts are made elsewhere.

If the motor of a car is made in illinois and the body made in ohio and the frame made in iowa, and all of these parts are sent to a detroit factory out of which comes a car, where is the car made? Detroit.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

There were times when my S3 was about as fast as my OG Droid Incredible in everyday use, there's no excuse for that.
The GNote3, with all of its top of the line blazing fast hardware, lags compared to the Moto X and loses to the Moto X in data download/upload speedtests.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

While faster updates is a plus, I prefer stock android for the performance. Some of those skins with all of those features built into them can seriously drag down performance. While the 2013 Moto line isn't as stock as a Nexus device, they're damned close. Up until my Maxx, all my phones had skins (4 HTC & 1 Samsung) and it seemed like even though the specs kept climbing, the performance stayed the same or even was worse. Because with each iteration of the skin they became more and more resource hungry. Look at the HTC phones that came with Sense 3, they were the worst with all the 3D animations everywhere. Touchwiz has a lot of features no doubt, but not everyone uses them. There were times when my S3 was about as fast as my OG Droid Incredible in everyday use, there's no excuse for that.

Companies like HTC, Samsung, & LG would do better to go with a stock skin and separate they're features out of the OS like Moto did with their phones. The features could be removed if the user doesn't want them, there would be faster updates/bug fixes for both the OS and the features. If Moto hadn't done this with the X and the Droids, the camera situation might still not be resolved. I don't mind putting your own stamp on things, but if it hampers the performance, what's the point?

The problem is people (the average consumer) does not care or complains but does nothing about it, so nothing changes.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

The GNote3, with all of its top of the line blazing fast hardware, lags compared to the Moto X and loses to the Moto X in data download/upload speedtests.

Don't think data speed tests have to do with specs at all.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Im going to have to say I will wait and see/read reviews/stats, and see if Lenovo put any bloatware on it .I probably wont be one to jump on this as soon as it comes available.
I been kinda thinking of picking up another Moto X though Moto Maker without contract just as a spare before the sale goes though.I wouldnt activate it , it would just be a backup.

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site

I would still buy it because I just don't see Lenovo immediately cutting off all support, etc. It will take time to restructure Motorola and if they want it to succeed, they better not rock the ship.
I know Motorola is bleeding money like crazy and maybe a shakeup is exactly what it needs but I just cannot imagine what else Lenovo can change. What they need to do is make a true flagship phone to compete with Samsung, LG and HTC best sellers. This means a 5" more powerful (to satisfy spec hungry buyers and journalists) phone with quality screen and camera.
IMO these are mistake Google made with Motorola:
1. Exclusive Moto Maker with ATT in the beginning (the most crucial time).
2. Delayed global launch.
3. No real flagship (the phone I listed above). I love my X but it's simply put down by a lot of reviewers and this translates to consumer sentiment

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I would still buy it because I just don't see Lenovo immediately cutting off all support, etc. It will take time to restructure Motorola and if they want it to succeed, they better not rock the ship.
I know Motorola is bleeding money like crazy and maybe a shakeup is exactly what it needs but I just cannot imagine what else Lenovo can change. What they need to do is make a true flagship phone to compete with Samsung, LG and HTC best sellers. This means a 5" more powerful (to satisfy spec hungry buyers and journalists) phone with quality screen and camera.
IMO these are mistake Google made with Motorola:
1. Exclusive Moto Maker with ATT in the beginning (the most crucial time).
2. Delayed global launch.
3. No real flagship (the phone I listed above). I love my X but it's simply put down by a lot of reviewers and this translates to consumer sentiment

Those weren't mistakes made by Google. Those were made by Motorola and Motorola alone. Woodside said everything with the X was all Motorola, and that Google was only financial support, not involved in the making of the phone in any way.
Motorola doesn't need a high-specced phone. They're not selling this phone to the consumer that reads tech blogs and reviews; they're selling it to the iPhone crowd, the kinds of people who don't know what specs their phones have. A lot of reviews put Moto at or near the top spot for Android phones this year, so I don't think that had too big of an effect on sales

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Don't think data speed tests have to do with specs at all.

Then why do tech reviewers test data speeds? If what you say is true, all phones would do the same on data speeds.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

They're not selling this phone to the average consumer, they're selling it to the iPhone crowd, the kinds of people who don't know what specs their phones have.

Uh, I've always thought that average users WERE the kinds of people who don't know or care about the specs of their phones.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Uh, I've always thought that average users WERE the kinds of people who don't know or care about the specs of their phones.

Lol. Yeah you're probably right, I was replying to what he said and didn't even think about that. Fixed :)

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: Keep or Return for Nexus 5: What's the future?

It is a done deal.
Lenovo will axe as many as possible, obviously you have not followed Lenovo at all in the past. You should read up. Motorola smart phones are toast. They will cut corners and get cheaper and cheaper. Thats what Lenovo does. You do understand this right?
What are you basing this on? It makes absolutely no sense to buy a company and then destroy it by going backwards. Lenovo is no dummy and they clearly proved it with IBM PC business, which is doing extremely well and still carries the iconic IBM design.
It sure is hard to imagine how Motorola can be saved from bleeding so much money but IMO Lenovo can do this because as oppose to Google, they want to kick *** in this segment. Google was always afraid to offend their partners and compete with them. Lenovo would also be more focused on this.
IMO what Lenovo must do to reverse Moto loses and compete with Samsung (in no particular order):

1. Keep doing what Motorola is doing in terms of SW (pure Android + extremely useful add-ons) and speedy updates.
2. Release a true flagship phone to compete with GS4/G2, etc. Yes, a 5" phone with top line specs (that's what excites people and resonates on reviews and general public, whether it's justifiable or not). Keep doing the MotoMaker.
3. IMO this is the key. Make a freaking camera worthy enough to compete with iPhone! This is the single biggest complaint from EVERY single review you read of any Android phone. It's either a bad camera or close, but not there yet. Make the camera BETTER than iPhone.
4. Sell globally and on all caries from day one (like the competition). The games that were played with Moto X really hurt it.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

3. IMO this is the key. Make a freaking camera worthy enough to compete with iPhone! This is the single biggest complaint from EVERY single review you read of any Android phone. It's either a bad camera or close, but not there yet. Make the camera BETTER than iPhone.

Not sure what reviews you've been watching/reading but most of the ones I have seen, have several Android phones ahead of the iPhone.
Their camera isn't as good compared to the competition as it used to be. I'd still put it within the Top 5, but not #1

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

The problem is people (the average consumer) does not care or complains but does nothing about it, so nothing changes.

You asked why anyone would want stock android, I and a few others gave you our reasoning, and your response is it's pointless because the average consumer doesn't know or care about it. Well great, that's fine for them. Every person has different needs, some people make use of the features that Samsung tacks on, others want a simpler and more efficient device. Neither is wrong, because it suits their needs. If you think everyone should have the same experience, get an iPhone, only one company makes it and the only difference between each year's models is usually the storage size (until we got the 5s &5c this year). What I was saying was that the other OEMS could learn from Moto and make their phones more efficient while still putting their mark on them, why is that a bad thing? Having a smoother running phone would also help them when they're compared to other OSs on the sales floor.

As far as doing something about it, the only way you can effect change is to do what I did, speak with my wallet. I left HTC and tried Samsung, when that option didn't work out for me, I went to Moto. You can talk to them until you're blue in the face, but if their sales drop they're forced to reevaluate their approach. As far as not knowing the difference, some people don't inform themselves when they make purchases. Until someone lays it out for them, or they become informed on their own, they'll never know the difference. And if the uninformed is going to be who dictates the direction of these companies, then everything will have to be dumbed down for them.

Last edited:

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

It sure is hard to imagine how Motorola can be saved from bleeding so much money
I don't know enough about Motorola's structure to know why its losses are so high, but damn, they sure do lose a lot of money. Any insight? Is it just too expensive to make $hit in the US?

IMO what Lenovo must do to reverse Moto loses and compete with Samsung (in no particular order):

1. Keep doing what Motorola is doing in terms of SW (pure Android + extremely useful add-ons) and speedy updates.
2. Release a true flagship phone to compete with GS4/G2, etc. Yes, a 5" phone with top line specs (that's what excites people and resonates on reviews and general public, whether it's justifiable or not). Keep doing the MotoMaker.
Agreed on all points but it still may not be possible to have any of the manufacturing done here without taking a loss and if so, good bye moto maker.

4. Sell globally and on all caries from day one (like the competition).
That's easier said than done in countries outside the US.

The games that were played with Moto X really hurt it.
what games?