Why does Google need hardware patents?
If they're selling their one and only smartphone hardware manufacturing dept. then why are they keeping the patents? I can think of a few reasons,
- They're just keeping them as another part of their overall portfolio purely for income from licensing
- Because of all the patent wars
- HW patents are still needed for their other devices like Nest and Chromecast
- A just in case measure for the future
- They're secretly planning to make their own hardware
Personally I believe the answer is most likely the first and second. Any other ideas?
- 01-30-2014, 10:28 AM #2
- 1,370 Posts
Re: Why does Google need hardware patents?
2, 3, and 4. Google has never shown an interest in monetizing their patents, they use them defensively. As for 5, I think the sale of Motorola and the rumored detente with Samsung discounts that.
Edit: that's not to say that Project Ara won't come about.
- By Brandon Shea in forum LG G2Replies: 35Last Post: 02-07-2014, 02:36 AM
- By owensch1 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4Replies: 7Last Post: 01-31-2014, 12:07 PM
- By aspenedelen in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3Replies: 6Last Post: 01-30-2014, 03:36 PM
- By Elance in forum General News & DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 01-30-2014, 06:00 AM
- By j0hnnyyyy in forum Google Nexus 7 (2013) Rooting, ROMs, & HacksReplies: 8Last Post: 01-30-2014, 01:12 AM