Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By someguy01234
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Snapdragon 800, can it do the same as the X8 chip?

Could developers utilize the S800 as it is to offer the same features (Active notifications, Touchless control) as the X8 to some degree or is it just not possible?

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Default Re: Snapdragon 800, can it do the same as the X8 chip?

The SD800 has the capability for always listening like on the Moto lineup, but it would use up significantly more battery because it doesn't have dedicated cores for that. The active notifications is software related, so yes, devs can possibly integrate into an app or ROM.

Posted via Android Central App
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

I was wondering could Motorola have made the x8 with the snapdragon 800?

Aside from third party apps, there are custom roms that provide Active Display such as AOKP, but I guess it makes more sense with a phone with AMOLED screen.

Quote Originally Posted by brian7751 View Post
    Look forward to the Moto X 2 I guess.
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

So possibly we'll see quallcom put these kind of features in their next snapdragon iteration.

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis-X View Post
    So possibly we'll see quallcom put these kind of features in their next snapdragon iteration.
    It's already there. It's up to the OEMs to use it

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

True, I'll correct myself and say that they will be able to add these features and not take any massive battery hits but have the same if not better battery life than the Moto-X

ROM
    Speed Rom Jellybean

Why so it can suck down more juice? It performs better than phones running the 800 with less power consumption.

i think the performance is good. I just wanted future proof because i usually keep phones for a long time. I still have a droid x and a gzone commando i now have a 2013 droid maxx. This is my first lte phone

i think the performance is good. I just wanted future proof because i usually keep phones for a long time. I still have a droid x and a gzone commando i now have a 2013 droid maxx. This is my first lte phone
    I don't think you will have a problem. KitKat is designed to run efficiently and it can only get better. Phones are so fast now they can do all the regular tasks with no problem, it's all down the software to give new experiences now, and I think the Moto X is a little ahead in that department. The only thing to concern is Motorola to continue updating the Moto X after the buy out, and I think they will.
    brian7751 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksapphire08 View Post
    Why so it can suck down more juice? It performs better than phones running the 800 with less power consumption.

Do you have any actual proof of this? The Nexus 5, Galaxy S4, LG G2, Xperia Z1 and Note 3 seem to whip the floor with it:

The rest, a mix of S800, S600 and Exynos 5 chips:

Samsung GALAXY S 4 32GB Exynos Octa Black Mist
    Samsung GALAXY S II 16GB Ceramic White
    Apple iPad4 WiFi+3G/LTE 16GB

That is just uninformative. Just because GSMArena post some numbers doesn't mean anything, things like software updates, usage patterns, it differ per user. You have to remember this thing have only 2200mAH battery, getting more than 5 hours on screen time is pretty good for that capacity. Motorola states 24hours with mixed uses, I think that's a fair calculation. If you want to know the actual battery life, get feedback from real users.

Also I said this before, I say it again, GSMArena is a great source in term of phones database, but not entirely reliable, ESPECIALLY their news which is 90% rumors.