1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Difference Between USB Storage Mode and Debugging Mode?

Hello,

I am trying to understand the difference between USB Storage Mode and USB Debugging Mode? Are they essentially the same thing but certain models + OS have different terminology?

I have been searching all over and just can't seem to figure this out. I am not talking about one specific Android model but it's a general question about all models and all software.

Thank you!

Default Re: Difference Between USB Storage Mode and Debugging Mode?

I can only answer it in specific to Android device. USB Mass Storage Mode (aka UMS), you can read here: , basically let you drag and drop files. That is now no longer used with latest version of Android, which is replaced by the horrific Media Transfer Protocol (MTP), which was introduce by Microsoft.

USB Debugging Mode, also known as ADB mode, allow access to the phone using adb software, which is like a terminal emulator to perform tasks: . It's generally not a good idea to leave ADB mode on since there can be bruteforce attack used to gain access to a locked phone. Especially dangerous when the phone is rooted and root is allowed for adb, then basically your device is fully open. However with Android 4.3 newer, it's more secure since when you plug in a phone with ADB mode turned on, you have to accept the dialog in the phone to allow that computer to gain ADB access. Custom recoveries for Android like ClockworkMod and TWRP allow full ADB access.
    Last edited by someguy01234; 02-05-2014 at 08:49 PM.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    I can only answer it in specific to Android device. USB Mass Storage Mode (aka UMS), you can read here: , basically let you drag and drop files. That is now no longer used with latest version of Android, which is replaced by the horrific Media Transfer Protocol (MTP), which was introduce by Microsoft.

USB Debugging Mode, also known as ADB mode, allow access to the phone using adb software, which is like a terminal emulator to perform tasks: . It's generally not a good idea to leave ADB mode on since there can be bruteforce attack used to gain access to a locked phone. Especially dangerous when the phone is rooted and root is allowed for adb, then basically your device is fully open. However with Android 4.3 newer, it's more secure since when you plug in a phone with ADB mode turned on, you have to accept the dialog in the phone to allow that computer to gain ADB access. Custom recoveries for Android like ClockworkMod and TWRP allow full ADB access.
    Basically I want to show people how to recover files on their Android using software. In order to use it they need to put the phone in USB debugging mode but some phones don't have that option. So would it be okay if I said, "before using the phone you will need to enable USB Debugging Mode, USB Storage Mode, or Media Transfer Protocol, do a google search for your model and software version to find out which is applicable for you".

Unless there is somewhere that lists what is available for each mode/software?

Quote Originally Posted by LizardKing View Post
    Basically I want to show people how to recover files on their Android using software. In order to use it they need to put the phone in USB debugging mode but some phones don't have that option. So would it be okay if I said, "before using the phone you will need to enable USB Debugging Mode, USB Storage Mode, or Media Transfer Protocol, do a google search for your model and software version to find out which is applicable for you".

Unless there is somewhere that lists what is available for each mode/software?
    I'm not sure what backup method you talking about. I am only aware of using ADB to backup, to do that, there are ADB guides on google. All Android phones have USB Debugging (ADB mode), for ICS and newer it's hidden in the Developers Mode. ADB mode is for debugging, it is not the same as UMS and MTP, which are used for file transfer. It required a different set of drivers. Each Android phone required the correct ADB drivers for Windows to recognize it while in ADB mode.

ADB is a software made by Google for Android devices only, not for any other phones.