• 1 Post By tedsc
  • 1 Post By Synycalwon
  • 3 Post By garublador
  • 2 Post By A895
  • 1 Post By Synycalwon
  • 2 Post By A895
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Battery sales and OEMs.

My family is really hard on phone batteries. My kids regularly run their phone until it powers itself off for lack of charge. My wife has had her Note II for less than a year and already the battery holds roughly 75% of the charge it held originally (she too notoriously abuses the battery). We have tried Motorola, HTC, LG and Samsung with the same result ..... I know that it is how we use the phones that is the problem, not how the phones are produced.

If you are like me and you accept your personal limitations, you really only have 1 manufacturer to choose from in a high end phone which is Samsung. Don't get me wrong, I am happy enough with Samsung but I love Android because it offers choices to customers. Different sizes, different features, different price points. But a lot of those choice benefits evaporate when only one OEM produces premium phones (or even midrange for the most part) with the deal breaker feature.

The part that kills me about it is that I know the problem is on MY end. I am not upset about battery longevity, rather I am willing to buy a replacement when battery life becomes a problem. Samsung seems to be the only manufacturer willing to take my money by selling replacement batteries. Why is that?

I really like the LG unlock feature and wish I could buy and LG phone for myself but I know that battery will be a source of frustration down the road.
    Synycalwon likes this.

Default Re: Battery sales and OEMs.

I'm frustrated too by the limited amount of phones anymore with user-replaceable batteries. With the exception of Samsung, they all seem to be moving to the iPhone model of a sealed embedded battery. Yuck!!!

While I'm not really hard on mine (never discharge them below 15%), I prefer the option to keep my device naked (ex. no battery case such as a Mophie) and have as many OEM spare batteries as I want (keep em all charged with an external charger) and just swap em out on the fly at any time to get back to a full charge within minutes. That way I never have to tether my phone to a charger or worry about its charge level or worry if the battery goes bad, as there is always a spare at the ready. That's invaluable to me.
    tedsc likes this.

Doesn't Samsung outsell all other Android phone OEM's combined? It's funny that the other OEM's don't seem to think that removable batteries or storage are that important, yet they get stomped by the one company that consistently adds them to their phones.
    Synycalwon, tedsc and A895 like this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I am with you on the tethering. My daughters always have to sit near an outlet so they can charge. They don't stop using their phone of course, just are plugged in while using their phone and the result is stretched cables and worn mini USB ports on the device.

Their not alone either I see their friends doing the same thing when they come over.

Quote Originally Posted by garublador View Post
    Doesn't Samsung outsell all other Android phone OEM's combined? It's funny that the other OEM's don't seem to think that removable batteries or storage are that important, yet they get stomped by the one company that consistently adds them to their phones.
    I bet $$ that someone will say marketing to your point. But, I think its the inclusions such as micro SD and removable battery that add to whole overall package of a Samsung Device. I give them that, they make some damn good flagships the Galaxy line and the Note line are the best selling android devices EVER!

Posted via Android Central App
    Synycalwon and tedsc like this.

Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    I bet $$ that someone will say marketing to your point. But, I think its the inclusions such as micro SD and removable battery that add to whole overall package of a Samsung Device. I give them that, they make some damn good flagships the Galaxy line and the Note line are the best selling android devices EVER!

I agree. I'd rather have the options (ex. SD card, removable battery) and not use them than to not have those options at all.
    Thanked by:
    A895 
    A895 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    I agree. I'd rather have the options (ex. SD card, removable battery) and not use them than to not have those options at all.
    Exactly this. Fine point sir.

Synycalwon and tedsc like this.

My $60 unlocked Nokia Lumia 520 has a microSD card slot and a removable battery.

But it's not Android, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude074 View Post
    My $60 unlocked Nokia Lumia 520 has a microSD card slot and a removable battery.

But it's not Android, so...
    And it's not high end.

Removable/expandable battery, better camera, and SD card/upgradeable memory. Those are really my biggest 3 reasons for picking the S4. I wanted to want the Moto X, but it lacks all 3, so easy choice when I put it in simple terms.

I went from a Bionic with an extended battery to my S4, and so far my stock Samsung battery is lasting about as long as my Bionic's big ol' fatty battery. I'm still going to get an extra battery or 2 to be able to swap out, but I think I like the slim feel of my S4 with a thin TPU case.

Samsung makes a wide range of Android devices, from flagship down to quite reasonably priced phones. If your complaint is that you can't get a moderately price phone with a removable battery, I think you're wrong.

You could also try installing a battery warning app on your family members' phones, and teach them how to find an AC outlet when it goes off.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    If your complaint is that you can't get a moderately price phone with a removable battery, I think you're wrong.)
    That was actually not my complaint. I am glad to see the LG G Pro 2 has a replaceable battery, perhaps they will proliferate that thinking to the G2 replacement later this year. I also hope HTC follows along.

In the case of OP, I would look at Mugen extended batteries and extended battery cases.

sent via Le Motonovo X