Better buy at $99: Droid Maxx or Galaxy S4??

rockitdog23

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm stuck between these two devices. Both can be had at VZW for $99. I love the 32GB storage and 3500mAh battery and near stock Android on the Droid maxx but I also love the near full 5Inch 1080 display and camera modes on the Galaxy S4. I'm stuck, I love both for different reasons but I guess what I'm worried about is how will they perform over the long term (the next 2 years). Especially now that Motorola has been sold to Lenovo, will it be kept current with updates?

Another quick question, has the Droid Maxx Camera Improved since it was released? I believe it's the same camera as the Moto X which improved substantially but I'm not sure if the Droid Maxx Camera is any better. Motorola has always been known for mediocre cameras in the past...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Very difficult decision--they're both really good, for different reasons. In regard to your updates question, I would consider the fact that Samsung has had some real issues with problematic updates lately. Lots and lots and lots of threads on this forum about problems with the 4.3 update for various Samsung devices.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Very difficult decision--they're both really good, for different reasons. In regard to your updates question, I would consider the fact that Samsung has had some real issues with problematic updates lately. Lots and lots and lots of threads on this forum about problems with the 4.3 update for various Samsung devices.
Keep in mind that Samsung also sells more phones than all other Anrdoid OEM's combined. So even if they had a lower failure rate they'd still have more actual failures.

I'd first check the form factor and actual screens out before you decide. There may be a deal breaker with either phone if it doesn't fit in your hand/pocket right and you may not even notice the difference in screen resolution. Assuming you don't run into any problems there, I'd get the S4 if you want more than 32GB of storage, would like a camera that's a little better and/or would like a removable battery. Otherwise definitely consider the Maxx. The huge battery life and extra, actually useful features it has make it a really nice phone. Most of the stuff added to the S4 is marginally useful at best.

I wouldn't worry about updates or future performance. Motorola went out of their way to make their OS easy to update, so I don't think whether or not Google owns them will matter, and the performance of current Android OS's and current hardware is already sort of capping out for most of what people use phones for. I'd also put little weight in which is closer to "stock." Most of the stuff in the S4 can easily be disabled and even the free versions of 3rd party launchers are much better than either stock launcher. The actual difference between phones once you consider customization is actually fairly small.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
GS4: Sharper screen, far better camera, expandable storage, removable battery, light/slim
Maxx: Far better battery life, much faster software updates, sturdy/better build quality, BETTER RADIOS

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Yep... that's why I'm stuck! ;)

Well, what do you need your phone for? If you don't need to take pictures or have a dedicated camera, that might be something you can cross off. If you don't care for the version of Android you're on then that should be crossed off too
Added one more pro for the Maxx :)

rockitdog23

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
1. Camera
2. Screen quality - watch a fair amount of videos (But do I really need a 1080p display?)
3. Memory - I prefer built in memory.
4. Smooth operating system
5. Updates over time - don't want to stop getting updated in a year
6. Tie Between Battery life and Build Quality

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If that's your rank order of preference, I'd go for the S4.

Although we should also point out that if internal storage is important to you, the S4 has a lot of bloat--the OS and TouchWiz all take up about 8 GB. So if you get a 16 GB S4, you'll only have around 8-9 GB of storage available to you.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
1. Camera
2. Screen quality - watch a fair amount of videos (But do I really need a 1080p display?)
3. Memory - I prefer built in memory.
4. Smooth operating system
5. Updates over time - don't want to stop getting updated in a year
6. Tie Between Battery life and Build Quality

If these are in order of importance, 1 and 2 go to the S4 by a long shot. You don't need 1080p but it is noticeable if you go back to 720p from a higher res display.
3 and 4 go to the Maxx
5 is probably going to be close, but Moto will get them faster

rockitdog23

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
If these are in order of importance, 1 and 2 go to the S4 by a long shot. You don't need 1080p but it is noticeable if you go back to 720p from a higher res display.
3 and 4 go to the Maxx
5 is probably going to be close, but Moto will get them faster

Didn't Motorola have issues with getting their devices updated in the past? The Bionic was treated like the red-headed step child if I recall correctly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockitdog23

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Didn't Motorola have issues with getting their devices updated in the past? The Bionic was treated like the red-headed step child if I recall correctly!
I'm using an iPhone right now FWIW, anything I think will beat the screen size on this.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

In the past, yes. The Moto X got the Kit Kat OTA before the Nexus 4. I'm sure they'll continue to do well with that this year, but the Lenovo deal may affect it later on.

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Can I toss my hat in the ring and suggest the Note 2? Hell, if you do that 50 dollar card thing with Best buy, its 50 bucks! I love my Note 2 to death!

rockitdog23

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
The camera is the only thing holding me back from the Droid Maxx! That and I wonder how it will work and be supported in 2 years.

rockitdog23

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
The camera on the HTC is brutal and the battery sucks too (I tried one for a bit last summer). Those two things alone are enough to keep me away from it.

rockitdog23

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Holy crap! This is the most stressful decision I've made in a long time. It's stressing me out big time! LOL, what is the matter with me??? Went to VZW and was going to get the Maxx but that poor camera scares the crap out of me!

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
The camera on the HTC is brutal and the battery sucks too (I tried one for a bit last summer). Those two things alone are enough to keep me away from it.

My battery last me well over a days worth of use. But if it does not meet your needs then I would understand that! There is no device that is perfect for everyone. I'd still get the S4 over the MAXX if it was me though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol