I'm thinking of switching to Android. Need massive advice and help. Please don't be bias.

jkrc717

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I went from Blackberry to WP. Never used an IPhone and never used an android before.

I like WP a lot. I like the live tiles, but someone told me WP was fun to try something new, but you can literally do ANYTHING with Android.

Like what? I like that I read you can totally customize it. Does it offer something like live tiles or better? I love seeing everything on my phone as it happens, as it's live without clicking the actual app or messages and so on.

I would really love for any and all people to convince me and give me specifics on why I should get an android.

But please don't be biased. I want to make the best decision here.

Thank you!

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
You can do anything with Android because it's a linux computer. The limit is depended on how much effort you put in it, which is where the consumer come in. The thing with Android is the choices. This can be a good thing or it can confuse the consumer. I think Android have a sharper learning curve, it takes longer to learn and fully utilize, it's not as user friendly compared to iOS.

Like what?
It's difficult to answer, since it's literally anything. If you are thinking about it, chances are someone else have already thought about it and made an app for it or trying to implement it. The limit is only what the hardware of a device is capable of. There are many YouTube videos that may be able to answer your question better. For my case, I don't have to use any software the manufacturer gave me. I can install third party web browser, third party camera app, third party lockscreen and unlocking method, completely customize the interface to the way I like, create automated tasks and integrated them with NFC technology or voice input.

Then there is 'root', which give the user full administrator privilege to the phone, this allows you to completely modify the operating system. With root I can do things like flash a third party kernel which can be very powerful, such as allowing me to change the CPU speed and voltage, change graphic card speed, modify multiprocessing behavior and how Android manage RAM, tune the colors and gamma of the display on a hardware level, tune the audio chip on a hardware level, it can also add new hardware features. Root also enhances the security of a phone contrary to popular belief, you can alter the linux iptables which is a powerful network firewall, you can modify the hosts files to prevent malware (also known as adsblocking), you can control every single "permissions" of apps running on the phone, preventing them from recording your personal data. Of course, with root you can install third party firmwares as well, otherwise known as "custom roms", it breaks warrenty, but its a choice you have. Some of the most reliable roms are fully open source which is good for security and trusts (contrary to popular belief).

Like what? I like that I read you can totally customize it. Does it offer something like live tiles or better?

In Android the main interface is called the "launcher" or "home launcher". There are lots of launchers in Google PlayStore that emulate Windows Metro interface or iOS interface. There are countless of launchers that offer different designs, features and usage style.

I love seeing everything on my phone as it happens, as it's live without clicking the actual app or messages and so on.
Android is excellent at multitasking, it's easy switching between running apps using default methods or third party apps. I don't have that much experience with Windows Phone, but I'm still going to say Android have the best notification system bar none. The Android's notification bar is very robust to alert you of anything that you set. There is a way to disable it for individual apps as well. Most Android phones have RGB colored LED which flashes different colors for notifications, there are apps that will allow you to control and custom the LED. Most good launchers have their own notification features, so for example the Dialer and Messaging icon will have a small indication to show many many missed called or new messages there are. There are also widgets that can be put on either the home launcher or the lockscreen to show notifications.

But please don't be biased. I want to make the best decision here.
For some of the negative aspects, one thing about Android right now, though not applying to your case, is that there is still some developer bias for iOS apps. Some games or apps get preference treatments on iOS, and get updates slower on Android. I think it's less of an issue now since Android have such a big market share, you're only looking at some really big titles. But some of it have to do with engineering issues as well, because Android run in so many different hardware and form factors, it's can be harder to make apps running flawlessly on all devices. I'm not a programmer, that's just my impression. Overall, I don't care if iOS have more apps, the way I see it Android is a lot more open, there will be tons of apps on Android that iOS will never get due to it's closed source nature, and lots more free alternative on Android.

Also there is the infamous wakelock issue with Android, sometimes apps keep running the background and doesn't get killed, so it drains the battery. I still think this issue plaque Android and isn't completely solved yet. It's not an issue for me however.

Lastly, there is the problem of choices. You can have completely different experience with one Android over the next. Each manufacturer custom the Android OS to their own design with their own features. A lot of times they add in bloatwares or unnecessary things that slow down the OS. In conjunction, there is the issue of updates. Unless you have a "Google Nexus device", which get updates directly from Google, there is no central control for updates like with Apple. When you buy a phone that is branded by a carrier like ATT or Verizon, you are at their mercy for receiving updates, it can come soon or take a long time, or never. Even if you buy an unlocked device, you are still at the mercy of the manufacturer to release the updates (unless its a Nexus device), sometimes manufacturers will not update an older phone to force you to buy a newer model (that's my take). Some manufacturer have better track records than other.

I would really love for any and all people to convince me and give me specifics on why I should get an android.
I can only speak for myself, I choose Android mainly for it's open nature and the choices it allow. I guess one reason is the excellent Google integration. If you use the various Google cloud services, than Android is a must. If you distrust Google, then Android is not for you. One of the best Google integration feature for me is a feature on the 'Moto X' which allow me to use voice commands to do Google searches and other simple phone tasks without having to touch the phone.

If you want to try Android, the best way is to start with the basic, stock Android. Stock Android is referred to the original Android interface before any perversion modification from third party manufacturers. It's meant to be simple and doesn't come with bloatwares. I suggest getting a Moto G to try out, which is a budget phone that come with stock Android and good performance for its price range. Use it a bit to see if you like the experience. If you don't, you can resell it or return it without losing much money.

Last edited:

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I just bought a Nokia Lumia 520 today so I could play around with WP8 and experience it first hand and get to know it better. My entire smartphone life I've only personally used Android, starting all the way from 2.3, so I thought I'd give another OS a try.

Here are Android's advantages:
- Customizable backgrounds, launchers.
- Notification bar.
- Notifications on lock screen.
- More lock and unlock options.
- Easier to get into the settings and adjust. More organized settings menu.
- Multitasking.
- Multi apps open at the same time (for phones like the Galaxy Note).
- Ability to create folders (although a Windows app can emulate this).
- Chrome > IE for numerous reasons.
- Better auto-brightness and sliding scale brightness (although maybe the Lumia 520's brightness settings just suck).
- Widgets allow for more customization than live tiles, e.g. different sizes, ability to be interactive, different appearances than just tiles.
- Native ability to take screenshots, and if rooted you can take video recordings of your screen.
- Android's voice search is much better integrated than Window's e.g. you can voice search from the browser, you can voice search from the Play Store, etc.
- Better search intelligence than Windows. Windows just does a keyword search, while Google does an intelligent search.
- Swype keyboard.
- Better folder navigation (unless someone can point me to a good WP8 folder app).
- Ability to root and flash ROMs, which opens up a whole new world.
- Apps are differentiated from each other and easier to find (in WP8 two apps can have the same name and icon which makes it really confusing).
- And of course, a better ecosystem, which is REALLY important. On WP8 there's no YouTube, there's no Pandora, there's no Chromecast, there's a bunch of benchmark tests missing, etc. a whole bunch of other apps I can't even think of right now.

WP8's advantages:
- Live tiles is the greatest thing about WP8. It's like an app icon/widget all in one and is customizable in three sizes.
- Extremely stable OS. My apps don't hang up or crash like they do in Android.
- Extremely efficient OS. My Nokia Lumia 520 only has a dual-core 1.0 GHz Snapdragon S4 Plus and 512 MB of RAM, yet it feels nearly as slick as my quad-core 2.3 GHz Snapdragon 800 2 GB Nexus 5.
- Better battery life. I've been toying around with my 520 for hours now and it's still going strong, and it only has a 1430 mAH battery. My N5 would be dead by now.
- MICROSOFT OFFICE AND OUTLOOK! I was literally blown away that my $60 phone comes with Office; this would be super useful for students. Outlook is KING when it comes to email, nothing can replace it for business users.
- The People app is pretty cool, since it integrates all of your messages/IMs/accounts/emails all into one location.
- Ability to pin websites to the home screen. No YouTube app = just pin YouTube to your home screen as a tile.
- Ability to pin contacts to the home screen. Super easy access for people you talk to all the time.
- Xbox Games app is pretty cool, it organizes all my WP8 games into one place so I don't have a hundred icons all over the place like I would in Android.
- Customizable themes.
- MicroSD card and removable battery in nearly all devices! Even the low end ones like the Lumia 520. This is freaking awesome.
- Ability to calibrate the display. Why can't you do this in Android, why oh why???

The way I see it, WP8 is actually incredibly easy to use. The learning curve is very small, and yet it has more customization than iOS (I'm not that familiar with iOS either, I'm getting an iPhone soon).

For learning curves, it's iOS > WP8 > Android.
For customization, it's Android > WP8 > iOS.
For stability, I'd say iOS and WP8 are tied. I haven't had a hiccup yet with my WP8 phone (although maybe that's just because it's newer).
For productivity, I'd say Android and WP8 are tied. WP8 has Office and Outlook which can't be beat. But Android has many free knockoffs that do a decent job.
For gaming, I'd say iOS and Android are tied. iOS has better mobile games, but Android can emulate. WP8 totally sucks in the gaming department.

For overall user experience, well that really depends on you. Android is really great for tinkering with, but some days I find that I don't really use my phone much other than for texting and calling. I could get away with a dumb phone if I wanted, and indeed I have before. So if you aren't constantly banging away on your phone, WP8 would be just fine as a phone. But then again, so would a dumb phone.

The biggest drawbacks of Android would be the poor battery life (you really have to adjust a lot of things to get okay battery life with Android), poor OS efficiency, and so-so productivity. The biggest benefits would be the customization, the hacking, and the gaming.

Last edited: