Has anyone looked at Facebook permissions lately?

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I am not really one of those conspiracy theory people but I know with all of these Edward Snowden articles leaking the United States it furious about the government listening to their phone calls.

Well a newer Facebook update came through and I just checked the permissions for poops and laughs and I came across this. After seeing this I immediately deleted the app.

Let me know how you feel and what you think about this. Does this make you think twice about using the Facebook app?

I'm not doing anything illegal but this is still a bit of a violation to me IMO.
umyzadun.jpg

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Actually, with this news, I am now more convinced that I shoudl try to get myself off of Facebook. Never cared much for it anyway.

I honestly think this is an invasion of privacy of the most extreme level.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting rid of the mobile version and just using the full one on my phone. Gets rid of all the permissions

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Email their support and ask them to explain what the permission does. It's doesn't automatically means it's recording your voice in the background. The permission description is a standard definition, it was not written by the app developer therefor does not explain what the app use it for. Usually a good app will explain what each permission is used for in the description field. There are lots of respond to use mic such as leaving massages by voice input or in app calling, etc.

With that said, I don't use social networking. Also it doesn't matter since you're already using Facebook, if they want to know about you, they already do.

If you have KitKat 4.4.1 or older you can use App Ops without root to manage apps permissions. With 4.4.2 you need root to enable it.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om.findsdk.apppermission&hl=en&token=igpliG2S

sent via my Le Motonovo X

Last edited:

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I just get paranoid because everybody is looking at government spying and they complain but they continue to use things like the Facebook app. I deleted the app and use the mobile site since I read this. It stinks not getting alerts but if it's an invasion of privacy on me then keep it away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Email their support and ask them to explain what the permission does. It's doesn't automatically means it's recording your voice in the background. The permission description is a standard definition, it was not written by the app developer therefor does not explain what the app use it for. Usually a good app will explain what each permission is used for in the description field. There are lots of respond to use mic such as leaving massages by voice input or in app calling, etc.

With that said, I don't use social networking. Also it doesn't matter since you're already using Facebook, if they want to know about you, they already do.

If you have KitKat 4.4.1 or older you can use App Ops without root to manage apps permissions. With 4.4.2 you need root to enable it.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om.findsdk.apppermission&hl=en&token=L3n9_DNJ

The app Ops only kills the contacts, location data and one more I don't remember what it is. I re downloaded Facebook after I installed Ops and it only gave me 3 permissions I could overrule. Any other suggestions?

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
You may want to check other tabs within Apps Ops menu. Different tabs can turn off different things.

With root, you can install Xposed Framework and the XPrivacy module for it, but it have a very high learning curve with lots of permissions to manage.

Last edited:

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
The app Ops only kills the contacts, location data and one more I don't remember what it is. I re downloaded Facebook after I installed Ops and it only gave me 3 permissions I could overrule. Any other suggestions?

When I go to personal where in the brief description it has what I want to block

uga3uru3.jpg

This is all I get to modify

5uqaqahe.jpg

Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1391955283304.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1391955283304.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 21

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Maybe check other tabs, the app can appear in multiple tabs with different permissions. If you still can't find it, you'll have to root and install XPrivacy, it allows blocking any permissions.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Maybe check other tabs, the app can appear in multiple tabs with different permissions. If you still can't find it, you'll have to root and install XPrivacy, it allows blocking any permissions.

Yeah. I checked all the tabs and they all pretty much say the same thing.