Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ffejjj
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Has anyone looked at Facebook permissions lately?

    I am not really one of those conspiracy theory people but I know with all of these Edward Snowden articles leaking the United States it furious about the government listening to their phone calls.

    Well a newer Facebook update came through and I just checked the permissions for poops and laughs and I came across this. After seeing this I immediately deleted the app.

    Let me know how you feel and what you think about this. Does this make you think twice about using the Facebook app?

    I'm not doing anything illegal but this is still a bit of a violation to me IMO.
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    24,884 Posts
    Global Posts
    25,327 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

    Default Re: Has anyone looked at Facebook permissions lately?

    Actually, with this news, I am now more convinced that I shoudl try to get myself off of Facebook. Never cared much for it anyway.

    I honestly think this is an invasion of privacy of the most extreme level.

    What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan

    Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Has anyone looked at Facebook permissions lately?

    There's also a permission in there that lets them read you messages.
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
  4. #4  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    24,884 Posts
    Global Posts
    25,327 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

    Default Re: Has anyone looked at Facebook permissions lately?

    Quote Originally Posted by VDub2174 View Post
    There's also a permission in there that lets them read you messages.
    Mark Z probably want to check in on everybody. Been tempted to start posting on my wall what I think of him.

    From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

    What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan

    Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Has anyone looked at Facebook permissions lately?

    I'm thinking about getting rid of the mobile version and just using the full one on my phone. Gets rid of all the permissions

    Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Retired Ambassador
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Has anyone looked at Facebook permissions lately?

    Email their support and ask them to explain what the permission does. It's doesn't automatically means it's recording your voice in the background. The permission description is a standard definition, it was not written by the app developer therefor does not explain what the app use it for. Usually a good app will explain what each permission is used for in the description field. There are lots of respond to use mic such as leaving massages by voice input or in app calling, etc.

    With that said, I don't use social networking. Also it doesn't matter since you're already using Facebook, if they want to know about you, they already do.

    If you have KitKat 4.4.1 or older you can use App Ops without root to manage apps permissions. With 4.4.2 you need root to enable it.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rmission&hl=en

    sent via my Le Motonovo X
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Has anyone looked at Facebook permissions lately?

    I just get paranoid because everybody is looking at government spying and they complain but they continue to use things like the Facebook app. I deleted the app and use the mobile site since I read this. It stinks not getting alerts but if it's an invasion of privacy on me then keep it away.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Has anyone looked at Facebook permissions lately?

    Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    Email their support and ask them to explain what the permission does. It's doesn't automatically means it's recording your voice in the background. The permission description is a standard definition, it was not written by the app developer therefor does not explain what the app use it for. Usually a good app will explain what each permission is used for in the description field. There are lots of respond to use mic such as leaving massages by voice input or in app calling, etc.

    With that said, I don't use social networking. Also it doesn't matter since you're already using Facebook, if they want to know about you, they already do.

    If you have KitKat 4.4.1 or older you can use App Ops without root to manage apps permissions. With 4.4.2 you need root to enable it.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rmission&hl=en

    sent via my Le Motonovo X
    The app Ops only kills the contacts, location data and one more I don't remember what it is. I re downloaded Facebook after I installed Ops and it only gave me 3 permissions I could overrule. Any other suggestions?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Has anyone looked at Facebook permissions lately?

    You may want to check other tabs within Apps Ops menu. Different tabs can turn off different things.

    With root, you can install Xposed Framework and the XPrivacy module for it, but it have a very high learning curve with lots of permissions to manage.

    sent via my Le Motonovo X
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Has anyone looked at Facebook permissions lately?

    Quote Originally Posted by eve6er69 View Post
    The app Ops only kills the contacts, location data and one more I don't remember what it is. I re downloaded Facebook after I installed Ops and it only gave me 3 permissions I could overrule. Any other suggestions?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    When I go to personal where in the brief description it has what I want to block



    This is all I get to modify



    Am I doing something wrong?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Has anyone looked at Facebook permissions lately?-uploadfromtaptalk1391955283304.jpg  
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Has anyone looked at Facebook permissions lately?

    Maybe check other tabs, the app can appear in multiple tabs with different permissions. If you still can't find it, you'll have to root and install XPrivacy, it allows blocking any permissions.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: Has anyone looked at Facebook permissions lately?

    Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    Maybe check other tabs, the app can appear in multiple tabs with different permissions. If you still can't find it, you'll have to root and install XPrivacy, it allows blocking any permissions.
    Yeah. I checked all the tabs and they all pretty much say the same thing.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-08-2014, 05:11 PM
  2. Has anyone found a fix for the choppy mic issue?
    By greydarrah in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-08-2014, 09:18 AM
  3. AT&T Messages App
    By Samuel Thayer in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-07-2014, 10:44 PM
  4. [Free] Money Management Has Never Been Easier
    By Huteri Manza in forum Android App Inventor
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-07-2014, 10:38 PM
  5. Visual voicemail for AT&T?
    By Closingracer in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-07-2014, 07:16 PM

Posting Permissions