Battery problem

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,,, I have purchased Galaxy S4 just 1 month ago. I found that in 3 minutes it shows that 1% percent of battery is consumed. Is that normal? Also I see that cell standby consumes 50% of battery overnight. I have turned off all sensors like smart stay, air gesture etc. I have also selected GSM only network mode. So how to reduce cell standby consumption?
Last question should I charge with the charger supplied by Samsung which is rated 5V @ 2.1 A or should I use a charger with somewhat low rating?

EviI

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,,, I have purchased Galaxy S4 just 1 month ago. I found that in 3 minutes it shows that 1% percent of battery is consumed. Is that normal? Also I see that cell standby consumes 50% of battery overnight. I have turned off all sensors like smart stay, air gesture etc. I have also selected GSM only network mode. So how to reduce cell standby consumption?
Last question should I charge with the charger supplied by Samsung which is rated 5V @ 2.1 A or should I use a charger with somewhat low rating?
Using the charger that came with the phone is the best option.
As for the battery issue, are there any other apps that you may have open that is draining the battery?

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,,, I have purchased Galaxy S4 just 1 month ago. I found that in 3 minutes it shows that 1% percent of battery is consumed. Is that normal?
Is that 1% during 3 minutes of use (i.e. screen on)? If so that's 5 hours of screen time, which, depending on your screen brightness, is normal to pretty good.

Also I see that cell standby consumes 50% of battery overnight. I have turned off all sensors like smart stay, air gesture etc. I have also selected GSM only network mode. So how to reduce cell standby consumption?
Is it really using 50% of your battery or is it reporting that 50% of the battery used has been from "cell standby?" My guess is it's the latter (you look at the battery stats and cell standby reports 50%). So if your battery goes down 10% at night then cell standby used 5% of your total battery. Your battery will be drained if your phone is on and not plugged in so something has to be using it. To reduce cell standby you'll have to increase the battery use from something else. Is that what you want to do? My guess is that reducing cell standby will just cause something that uses more battery to report a higher number, which means your battery will drain faster.

A better way to look at it is to tell us how much battery has been drained overnight. You could be getting anywhere from very good to very bad performance. With the information you've given we don't know how to help.

Just use the supplied charger. I doubt you'll be able to measure any difference in battery life no matter what charger you use. With the supplied charger you'll get the fastest charging possible.

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Yes 50% of the battery has been used by cell standby. that is the second one. You then mean thats normal right?
I posted a picture of battery stats but I can't figure out where it has gone. At least I can't see. Do I need to provide any other information?

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Do I need to provide any other information?
How much does your battery drain overnight?

There's three ways to look at the vertical line issue, whether it's normal, whether it's correct and whether it's a problem.

I feel like I've seen mine do that before, but I can't say for sure. It may or may not be normal.

It's almost certainly not correct unless you're doing something that would cause it at the time. I'm not sure how reboots look in the battery monitor.

It doesn't appear to be a problem, though. It looks like some brief periods where the battery reporting wasn't working correctly. It doesn't look like it's affecting your battery life and it's so brief that it doesn't really affect your graph.

What stands out to me in the picture you sent was the large amount of awake time when the screen was off. That combined with the media server comment makes me think you're listening to music using your phone, but I don't know that for sure. If you can explain it then it's fine, but it's worth looking into.

I'd look at your battery life and see what complaints you have about the actual performance you're seeing. So far I've seen complaints about what the battery monitor app is reporting, but nothing that suggests your phone is performing poorly.

FWIW, I think that GSam Battery Monitor is a much better battery reporting app than the built in monitor.

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Yes I was listening to music. May be for that reason media server is running. Vertical lines gone now after full charge and few restarts. If I charge to 100% before going to sleep, the next day in the morning I find it varies between 97 - 98%. And about 50-60% of that is consumed by cell standby. I guess that’s normal now. Am I right?
The thing which irritates me is that if I use my phone then within 2 minutes 1% battery is consumed. I mean the backlight remains on during that period of use. Is that normal? My sis is using galaxy S2 Plus where if I continuously use for 5min battery consumed is 1%. So why there is this difference?

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
It may sound like I'm harping on you, but I'm really just trying to put the numbers into perspective.

Yes I was listening to music. May be for that reason media server is running. Vertical lines gone now after full charge and few restarts. If I charge to 100% before going to sleep, the next day in the morning I find it varies between 97 - 98%. And about 50-60% of that is consumed by cell standby.
So you're complaining that the cell standby process used 1% to 1.5% of your battery overnight? Remember that all the percents in the battery reporting will add up to 100% and something has to be using the battery. FWIW, I just charge my phone overnight. I'm on my third Android phone in four years, just do upgrades when my carrier will subsidize it and haven't had any battery issues so far.

I guess that’s normal now. Am I right?
I don't know about normal. I'd classify it as very good. ;)

The thing which irritates me is that if I use my phone then within 2 minutes 1% battery is consumed. I mean the backlight remains on during that period of use. Is that normal? My sis is using galaxy S2 Plus where if I continuously use for 5min battery consumed is 1%. So why there is this difference?
Actually, there is no back light on either phone. The OLED screens light up each pixel individually and don't require a back light like a LCD screen. Also, is it two minutes or three? One major difference is the number of pixels in the screen. You have a larger and more pixel dense screen. It takes more energy to use it. The processor is probably more power hungry, too. Though her phone also has a smaller battery, so someone would have to do the math with number of pixels and battery size to see how they actually compare.

What's probably a better indication of battery life is how long the phone is on, how much screen time you have and how bright the screen is. According to GSam, the way I use my phone I get 25 hours of total time with 2 hours and 11 minutes of screen on time. I've only ever ran out of battery once and that was extenuating circumstances (daughter was born at 11 PM and I was texting updates all night). You can see how that relates to your battery performance to judge how normal it is.