WP8 vs Android round 2

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
For those of you who've been following, what do you think of Microsoft's new CEO? Do you think he's what MS needs to compete against android in mobile? Back in the good old days we used to have actual engineers at the helm of the big 3 tech giants instead of business guys. This guy is a return to that for MS and he's promising to be ruthless to the company in order to bring WP8 up to snuff.

I'm wondering if he can pull off making MS's mobile presence a real 3rd party player in the double digits on the market, which is something that's eluded both them and blackberry for years now against the android and iPhone duopoly.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
For those of you who've been following, what do you think of Microsoft's new CEO? Do you think he's what MS needs to compete against android in mobile? Back in the good old days we used to have actual engineers at the helm of the big 3 tech giants instead of business guys. This guy is a return to that for MS and he's promising to be ruthless to the company in order to bring WP8 up to snuff.

I'm wondering if he can pull off making MS's mobile presence a real 3rd party player in the double digits on the market, which is something that's eluded both them and blackberry for years now against the android and iPhone duopoly.
He cannot possibly do worse than the outgoing CEO. IE has never been more annoying. Windows has become more like iOS in all the wrong ways. Windows Phone is a locked down mess. I can't think of a single positive thing Ballmer has contributed. He's no Bill Gates that for damn sure.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Unless WP8 gets a complete overhaul, it will never compete with Android and iOS. Objectively it's inferior to Android in so many ways it's just pathetic. No customization, no file manager, no way to move files/folders around, no REAL productivity because email attachments are useless, etc. Subjectively the live tiles do look cool the first few days, but afterwards you're going to tire very quickly of it due to the fact the only thing you can change is the color, and you only have a small number of colors to choose from.

WP8 truly has the worst of iOS and Android combined. It has all of iOS's limitations, but not the stellar app ecosystem (I use the term "stellar" only in comparison here). It has a huge pile of steaming junk for apps (Facebook, YouTube, even Flappy Bird are crap in comparison) and yes, they DO crash as often as Android. Which is to say, they don't crash very often, but they still do crash, so why even go with WP8 in the first place?

WP8 is an extremely limited OS, with very few capabilities or utilities. And yet it has no apps to back it up, no eye-candy, and no more stability than Android. There's a good reason why it's in third place by a LARGE margin - it sucks.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Google should have bought Nokia. I love the lumia design and camera, but WP is just too lacking for what I need to consider it. Now hopefully the rumors of Nokia making android devices, maybe one day we will see a high end lumia with that amazing camera running android, but most likely we won't and nokia will become the sole manufacturer of WP phones anyway.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Google should have bought Nokia. I love the lumia design and camera, but WP is just too lacking for what I need to consider it. Now hopefully the rumors of Nokia making android devices, maybe one day we will see a high end lumia with that amazing camera running android, but most likely we won't and nokia will become the sole manufacturer of WP phones anyway.
I think Nokia's little love affair with Android is going to die quickly. Once Microsoft gets home and see's them in bed together, Android will be sent packing, and Nokia will be back in the kitchen making Microsoft's sandwiches.

The fact that Nokia is doing that at all is an act of desperation. She just wants to feel pretty again. I don't think it'll last.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

We definitely won't see a high end android Nokia phone. This "Normandy" device was probably in production for months and Microsoft couldn't stop what was already in development.

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
We'll see how far WP goes once MS loses the use of the Nokia name. From my understanding most people are buying WP's because of their loyalty or like of Nokia and not some MS Surface phone or what ever they will call it. Look at the sales of the other OEM's, granted they're not putting in that much effort and I wouldn't either do to the lackluster WP sales numbers.

Will MS be able to sell Lumia without #Nokia name? Nokia?s future still may be innovative with ?Advanced Technologies?. | NPU

Nokia name to go away with the Lumia line as Microsoft seeks to unify branding | Windows Phone Central

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
We'll see how far WP goes once MS loses the use of the Nokia name. From my understanding most people are buying WP's because of their loyalty or like of Nokia and not some MS Surface phone or what ever they will call it. Look at the sales of the other OEM's, granted they're not putting in that much effort and I wouldn't either do to the lackluster WP sales numbers.

Will MS be able to sell Lumia without #Nokia name? Nokia’s future still may be innovative with “Advanced Technologies”. | NPU

Nokia name to go away with the Lumia line as Microsoft seeks to unify branding | Windows Phone Central

That and Nokia was the only one making unique devices for WP where as the others were just rehashing their designs from android and sticking WP on it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000