Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Dennis Woodside leaving Motorola

Well the news just keeps getting worse for us. He is leaving to be the COO of DropBox. He was one of the main reasons I bought this phone after listening to his interview with Marquess Brownlee. He sounded like someone who cared what people thought about the company and was willing to listen. I hope this doesn't affect the future plans of Motorola especially since now we don't know who will be leading them forward.

Global Posts
    13,863 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Dennis Woodside leaving Motorola

Hopefully it doesn't mean anything. However the only thing that can be said about Moto is that 'Times are a changing.' For better or for worse, they are changing.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

No comment on whether this is good or bad. But it IS essentially proof that Lenovo will be--and already is--making changes at Motorola. So all those who said it would just be business as usual would appear to be wrong.

Sent from my XT1053

Quote Originally Posted by phositadc View Post
    No comment on whether this is good or bad. But it IS essentially proof that Lenovo will be--and already is--making changes at Motorola. So all those who said it would just be business as usual would appear to be wrong.

Sent from my XT1053
    I'm guessing this decision was not made by Lenovo as the deal isn't done yet. My guess is Dennis wasn't optimistic about working for Lenovo and began looking elsewhere.
    Puzzlegal and Evilnut like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

He didn't want to work for a Chinese company. I wouldn't do it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
    I'm guessing this decision was not made by Lenovo as the deal isn't done yet. My guess is Dennis wasn't optimistic about working for Lenovo and began looking elsewhere.
    This

Posted via my awesome, longer lasting phone than yours aka droid MAXX

I just got this phone last month and I love it to death. It's easily the best phone I've had in the past 2 years. I really hope Lenovo doesn't screw the Moto X or Motorola up, as a lot of faithful Motorola customers will feel spurned and look elsewhere. Lenovo has an amazing opportunity to comfort users with quick updates and not touching the Moto X line.
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mustbepbs View Post
    Lenovo has an amazing opportunity to comfort users with quick updates and not touching the Moto X line.
    yes, they do. I hope their execs aren't dumbasses and they don't screw this up.

I recommended this phone to everyone I know. My wife is on the fence about getting it because of the corporate shake up. It's hard to recommend now because of the uncertainties. I really hope the press conference will clear the questions up.

A 720p screen and no SD card kept me from buying this phone.

sent from RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jphillips1963 View Post

sent from RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk Pro
    I had the Droid DNA before this phone with a 1080p screen and side by side I honestly could not tell the difference. This phone also flies, even with the "mid range specs". Easily the nicest phone I've ever used and owned. That's why I'm so sad about this news.
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jphillips1963 View Post
    On a 4.7" screen 720p isn't as much of an issue as it would be on a 5" screen like the Droid Maxx has. Take a look at one in Verizon stores to compare.

The no SD card, well, that is a Google thing because they want you on Google Drive, so Lenovo may "cure" that issue.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,203 Global Posts

Is it common for the previous CEO to stick around?

Posted via Android Central App
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Is it common for the previous CEO to stick around?
    No but the reasons they leave are different. If they leave to take a new position, it is because they are marketable. If they just leave and have no where to go and say some bs like they left for family reasons, well then, they knew they would be fired and "left" to save face. They just think the rest of us are too stupid to figure that out. And many of the rest of us are too stupid to figure that out.
    Last edited by Cozume; 02-13-2014 at 12:34 AM.

He suddenly had a brand new job with a lot of unknowns. It would be a lost opportunity to skip comparing to other new jobs. Sounds like he found one with a lot fewer unknowns.

Oh, and my phone is just a good as when I got it. Probably better. This phone will be good until it's easy to see if things went well with Lenovo or not.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,910 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Pollster View Post
    He suddenly had a brand new job with a lot of unknowns. It would be a lost opportunity to skip comparing to other new jobs. Sounds like he found one with a lot fewer unknowns.

Oh, and my phone is just a good as when I got it. Probably better. This phone will be good until it's easy to see if things went well with Lenovo or not.
    Fewer unknowns? He's going to Dropbox to be the very first COO. How many more unknowns could there be?

I wouldn't necessarily take this as a bad sign for Moto. Remember Palm? Their CEO stayed.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Ry likes this.

I'm not crazy about Google giving up on Motorola Mobility because to me that seemed like a Dream merger, but I think people are being a little hard on Lenovo.

This is a company that came out of nowhere 20 years ago, wasn't even known by most of the world until 10 years ago, and has made some very successful acquisitions and turned product lines around. All this to say, they MUST have some smart people working for them somewhere along the line. Their success is not "stupid luck". So my hope is that these executives are smart enough to see a good thing right in front of them and not overrun Motorola's daily operations.
    mrsmumbles likes this.

I'm wondering if he would have had to relocate. That's really the only reason I can think of why he wouldn't stay, except if it was for less money, if Lenovo were going to keep Motorola on basically the same track. But since Motorola were losing money Lenovo are bound to make a lot of changes.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
    Good point. That's even worse news then--an insider like Dennis is so skeptical about it that he doesn't even hang around and give it a chance?

Sent from my XT1053

Quote Originally Posted by phositadc View Post
    Good point. That's even worse news then--an insider like Dennis is so skeptical about it that he doesn't even hang around and give it a chance?

Sent from my XT1053
    Or maybe dropbox had been courting him for a while, and he put them off, but this was the final push that led him to jump. Maybe he doesn't like flying to China. We really don't know his reasons.

I'm not a huge fan of Motorola, and bought the x reluctantly. I am quite happy with the phone, though, and don't expect the phone in my hand right now to get any worse when the deal goes through.

Looking at it from that perspective, this deal makes loads of sense. Google is no longer competing with its hardware partners, and kept those patents it needed. Lenovo has a platform to break into the US market.

Lenovo is a strong, creditable company that has made some good stuff. They may use the Motorola patents (which I assume they bought licenses for) and infrastructure to make great phones going forward. And hey, Motorola phones may get removable sd cards again.

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlegal View Post
    Looking at it from that perspective, this deal makes loads of sense. Google is no longer competing with its hardware partners, and kept those patents it needed. Lenovo has a platform to break into the US market.
    Totally agree with you that from Google's perspective the deal made tons of sense. Not so sure that a consumer like us shares that perspective though. I guess time will tell.

Sent from my XT1053

I guess my feeling us that it makes so much sense from Google's perspective that they were bound to sell chunks of Moto within a few years, and this is a pretty good option, among the potential buyers.

I think it's the fact that he was working for "Google" while at Motorola. Now they are going to be part of Lenovo there were a lot of unforseen stuff coming down the pike so it made sense to jump.

Its very common for CEO to leave when acquisition happens ..this was expected

Ry

Global Posts
    7,203 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guesswhat_567 View Post
    Its very common for CEO to leave when acquisition happens ..this was expected

Sanjay Jha!
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast