Lenovo CEO says he can cut Motorola's losses in just a few quarters

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lenovo CEO says he can cut Motorola's losses in just a few*quarters

the only way to cut Motorola losses that quickly is to fire every US employee and replace them with chinese slave laborers.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

the only way to cut Motorola losses that quickly is to fire every US employee and replace them with chinese slave laborers.

We have a winner. I have many friends who once worked for IBM in their PC group. The operative word is "once". I would bet that within 3-6 months 70+% of the US Moto workforce will be gone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

We have a winner. I have many friends who once worked for IBM in their PC group. The operative word is "once". I would bet that within 3-6 months 70+% of the US Moto workforce will be gone.

..because Google didn't cut any Motorola employees either..

Posted via Android Central App

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

..because Google didn't cut any Motorola employees either..
Sure they did. But they didn't completely replace them with chinese slaves. Hence the losses.

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

As one who has, for a long time, favored Android in general and Motorola in particular, I always cringe a little when I see a link to almost anything posted by the Verge folks, but at least they include source links so I can get to the meat of the topic without their bias/spin.

In this case I hope folks will also go read these two articles:

Lenovo Projects End to Motorola Losses With China Phone - Bloomberg

Q&A: Lenovo CEO On How To Turn Around Motorola - Digits - WSJ

My take (hope) on the whole Lenova deal...they just might make it work *and * we might still see a better Moto X offspring!

In regards to the Woodside departure...expected with a purchase like this. I want to see if Punit Soni and his team are kept in place!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

In regards to the Woodside departure...expected with a purchase like this. I want to see if Punit Soni and his team are kept in place!

This is more important than Woodside. My confidence level on Lenovorola is mostly tied to Punit Soni and his team.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

How Lenovo will realize growth from deal:

Achieve significant material savings from lower material costs, and global scaling.

Lower material costs means no more kevlar, no more Gorilla Glass, no more water-resistant nano coating = overall lower quality phone. All of those things, I loved about Motorola. I owned and used a Motorola Photon Q for over a year and the screen didn't have a single scratch with no screen protector. And you should all do yourselves a favor and look on YouTube for videos of the Moto G working while submerged underwater. The Moto G is my gf's first ever Android phone, and it's a solid choice, regardless of the price. Sad to see that this will all go away once Lenovo takes over.

Global scaling means cheap Chinese labor. Bye-bye Texas plant. Bye-bye "Made in the USA".

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

No...lower material costs means much higher volumes of materials purchased and that's in line with global scaling meaning selling Moto worldwide by a company that's been doing both far more than Moto ever could by being almost exclusively a USA business.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

How Lenovo will realize growth from deal:

Achieve significant material savings from lower material costs, and global scaling.

Lower material costs means no more kevlar, no more Gorilla Glass, no more water-resistant nano coating = overall lower quality phone. All of those things, I loved about Motorola. I owned and used a Motorola Photon Q for over a year and the screen didn't have a single scratch with no screen protector. And you should all do yourselves a favor and look on YouTube for videos of the Moto G working while submerged underwater. The Moto G is my gf's first ever Android phone, and it's a solid choice, regardless of the price. Sad to see that this will all go away once Lenovo takes over.

Global scaling means cheap Chinese labor. Bye-bye Texas plant. Bye-bye "Made in the USA".

Like Tom in Bristol said, it's not about cheap parts but the ability to buy larger quantities. Buying in bulk usually cuts costs but there has to be a market for the product.

And to the Gorilla Glass point specifically, Lenovo already has a relationship with Corning and uses Gorilla Glass in some of it's products - Gorilla Glass 3 can be found in the Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 and Lenovo Vibe X. If anything, this likely helps Lenovo get more Gorilla Glass in other/future products.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Lenovo: We'll turn Moto profitable in a few quarters

Yesterday, I made a post in another thread, defending the business practices of Lenovo, and saying they had some very smart people. This led me to believe they would do the right thing by Motorola Mobility and allow them to operate independently and continue to come out with innovative devices. However, that doesn't seem like it will be the case:

Lenovo CEO: We'll Turn Motorola Profitable In A Few Quarters, Bring The Brand Back To China, Move 3500 Workers To Lenovo

The final paragraph is basically one, big "Oh F--k" section. So not only could we not have the Moto X 2 to look forward to (which some people already feared), but we may NEVER get one. And usually when companies make their objective to be "profitable" as soon as possible, the first thing to go is quality and innovation. Not good news.

DCSholtis

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lenovo: We'll turn Moto profitable in a few quarters

I saw that and I'm not fearful at all. Its just wait and see.

Posted via Android Central App

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

Yesterday, I made a post in another thread, defending the business practices of Lenovo, and saying they had some very smart people. This led me to believe they would do the right thing by Motorola Mobility and allow them to operate independently and continue to come out with innovative devices. However, that doesn't seem like it will be the case:

Lenovo CEO: We'll Turn Motorola Profitable In A Few Quarters, Bring The Brand Back To China, Move 3500 Workers To Lenovo

The final paragraph is basically one, big "Oh F--k" section. So not only could we not have the Moto X 2 to look forward to (which some people already feared), but we may NEVER get one. And usually when companies make their objective to be "profitable" as soon as possible, the first thing to go is quality and innovation. Not good news.

I find your post disheartening.
Lenovo has a history of saving IBM's brand; hopefully it will do the same with Motorola.
Nowhere have I seen any mention of Lenovo being a tech innovator.
That might be Moto's main contribution to the Lenovo brand.
I hope this is pursued or at least allowed.
The Moto-Google tryst had gallant offspring in the Moto X, G .
The future held great promise.
Alas.
Wasn't meant to be.
Hope Samsung is happy with their attack on competition.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

I think they will integrate Motorola's innovations into their own products while also using the Motorola brand overseas. The question is what happens to Motorola products here, will they be Motorola phones or will they be Lenovo phones with an M on the back.

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

As a long time user of Lenovo stuff, both IBM and later, I can attest to the fact that they do not make major cuts to quality. They engineer the products but invariable make them the same or better so I am comfortable with Lenovo taking the helm of a failing product line yet again.

Wait and see. OK, so there may not be another X or G, but there will be phones. :)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I think they will integrate Motorola's innovations into their own products while also using the Motorola brand overseas. The question is what happens to Motorola products here, will they be Motorola phones or will they be Lenovo phones with an M on the back.

So far they've said it'll be the Motorola brand.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

The final paragraph in that Android Police article is just speculation by that writer. Sidenote: I can't take a site called "Android Police" seriously.

If you read the Q&A, this is a long-term play by Lenovo to leverage the Motorola brand. I look to what they did with the ThinkPad brand and overall, the quality and "innovation" (seriously, most over-used term) still remain in my eyes.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance