Why are Samsung phones better than Apple phones?

abazigal

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I think because they give customers options, Apple just kinda throws something at you and makes you like it lol.

Note 3 ~ 5s

I think examples like their fingerprint scanner kind of says it best. You don't really need or want half a dozen different ways of unlocking your phone - you really only need one great method which "just works".

Apple works by first deciding on the end user experience they want the customer to have, then work backwards to see how best they can deliver that end user experience. As such, their products tend to offer a very consistent, unified and polished experience.

Options are nice and all, but I believe people want their products to "just work" above everything else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I think because they give customers options, Apple just kinda throws something at you and makes you like it lol.

Note 3 ~ 5s

Not at all. If you don't like what Apple offers you you get to choose something else. I think Apple cares more about a customer having a consistently working and polished experience rather than leaving it to the customer to figure out what experience they want and how to make what they want work consistently. Just different approaches.

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Not at all. If you don't like what Apple offers you you get to choose something else. I think Apple cares more about a customer having a consistently working and polished experience rather than leaving it to the customer to figure out what experience they want and how to make what they want work consistently. Just different approaches.
Exactly. Apple caters to the lowest common denominator. They are trying to protect users from themselves.

While it sounds like I bag on Apple a lot, it is not really Apple specifically. There is a demand for closed-system products like this. They do provide advantages over an open system product that are appealing to a lot of people. If it was not Apple doing it, it would be someone else, because there is a niche to fill.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I used to get a kick out of customizing my android phones. Troubleshoot, changing ROMs, fonts, learning how tune and tweak, measuring battery life, tun all that but then it got old. So I'd change devices. Then I realized I wanted something that just worked like iOS. I tried to customize my android devices to be like iOS but there was all the menus and what not. Some apps would be quirky and not be as fast or work as smooth as their iOS counterparts. Even simple ones like Monopoly. I realized I just wanted simple right now. There's enough work in my life and for some reason using my android devices began to feel like work. I can play games, among other things, for excitement. Perhaps, at some point again, I'll want the device itself to keep me entertained or make me work (I'm definitely not a fan of stock Android) and will, therefore, move back to Android.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I used to get a kick out of customizing my android phones. Troubleshoot, changing ROMs, fonts, learning how tune and tweak, measuring battery life, tun all that but then it got old. So I'd change devices. Then I realized I wanted something that just worked like iOS. I tried to customize my android devices to be like iOS but there was all the menus and what not. Some apps would be quirky and not be as fast or work as smooth as their iOS counterparts. Even simple ones like Monopoly. I realized I just wanted simple right now. There's enough work in my life and for some reason using my android devices began to feel like work. I can play games, among other things, for excitement. Perhaps, at some point again, I'll want the device itself to keep me entertained or make me work (I'm definitely not a fan of stock Android) and will, therefore, move back to Android.
I was really tempted to jump to iOS early on. The reason I stayed with Android was not the customization (though I do like that) but the functionality.

Using my nephew's iTouches was an annoying experience for me. The OS kept getting in my way every time I wanted to do something. The best example is probably the share menu...iOS is very restrictive in what you can share and when. I also did not like the lack of a folder structure...you have to keep stuff where iOS tells you to. At the time there was no way to do file management outside of iTunes...it was a huge pain in the *** to move stuff around outside of syncing. iOS does not want you to move stuff around on your own...they want you to sync and let them decide where everything should go.

"Open" for me just means I don't have to ask the OS permission to do stuff. It's not simply about customization.

The other thing I really hated was the lack of a back button at the OS level. I was never able to back out of stuff...I had to hit the home button and start over.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I was really tempted to jump to iOS early on. The reason I stayed with Android was not the customization (though I do like that) but the functionality.

Using my nephew's iTouches was an annoying experience for me. The OS kept getting in my way every time I wanted to do something. The best example is probably the share menu...iOS is very restrictive in what you can share and when. I also did not like the lack of a folder structure...you have to keep stuff where iOS tells you to. At the time there was no way to do file management outside of iTunes...it was a huge pain in the *** to move stuff around outside of syncing. iOS does not want you to move stuff around on your own...they want you to sync and let them decide where everything should go.

"Open" for me just means I don't have to ask the OS permission to do stuff. It's not simply about customization.

The other thing I really hated was the lack of a back button at the OS level. I was never able to back out of stuff...I had to hit the home button and start over.

iOS is definitely restrictive in some ways. Especially the back button. It took me several days to get used to not having it. I don't manage files much on my devices outside of media and have no problem with iTunes managing that. Right now it's just easy. I have my laptops for complex computing so I like the phones and tablets just being simple. I can certainly see, though, how some would want more control than iOS gives. I'm really debating adding an android device back in the mix but I already have more gear than I need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888