Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Is there any benefit to an Android tablet over a Windows tablet?

    I'm in the market to purchase a new tablet and I've dug around quite thoroughly in hopes of finding something that suits me. I started looking at a nexus device because Nexus devices are generally the best when it comes to Android (At least in terms of Software, Hardware I'll always go Motorola strictly for build quality.) I did my fair share of digging and stumbled into the Microsoft Store here in Austin not expecting much in the way of tablets outside of a Surface and I simply don't like the shape or feel of them (Though the build quality is superb and likely unparalleled outside of the Apple world.) I also couldn't justify $800 for a tablet unless it was as powerful as my gaming laptop that I spent roughly the same amount on.Looking around though, I found this Lenovo Miix 2 8. This thing really feels good. I mean, I've used all there is with Android but this thing feels like it's what Windows 8 was built for. The gestures are amazingly intuitive when you can reach them all, the OS is likely the most touch friendly of it's kind. It's the first tablet that I've used where I felt like I was using a full-scale OS brought down to a tablet size with the added benefit of touch input... It's not just an oversized phone and on top of that, it costs $50 less than the Android tablets I was considering. I have Borderlands 2 playing on this thing at a solid 28-32 FPS and it cost less than the competition. I've been using it for about two days now. So, I'm wondering, is there any real benefit for me to turn this thing back in in my grace period and shuck out another $50 bucks for an Android tablet?
  2. #2  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,729 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,906 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Is there any benefit to an Android tablet over a Windows tablet?

    Quote Originally Posted by z33dev33l View Post
    I'm in the market to purchase a new tablet and I've dug around quite thoroughly in hopes of finding something that suits me. I started looking at a nexus device because Nexus devices are generally the best when it comes to Android (At least in terms of Software, Hardware I'll always go Motorola strictly for build quality.) I did my fair share of digging and stumbled into the Microsoft Store here in Austin not expecting much in the way of tablets outside of a Surface and I simply don't like the shape or feel of them (Though the build quality is superb and likely unparalleled outside of the Apple world.) I also couldn't justify $800 for a tablet unless it was as powerful as my gaming laptop that I spent roughly the same amount on.Looking around though, I found this Lenovo Miix 2 8. This thing really feels good. I mean, I've used all there is with Android but this thing feels like it's what Windows 8 was built for. The gestures are amazingly intuitive when you can reach them all, the OS is likely the most touch friendly of it's kind. It's the first tablet that I've used where I felt like I was using a full-scale OS brought down to a tablet size with the added benefit of touch input... It's not just an oversized phone and on top of that, it costs $50 less than the Android tablets I was considering. I have Borderlands 2 playing on this thing at a solid 28-32 FPS and it cost less than the competition. I've been using it for about two days now. So, I'm wondering, is there any real benefit for me to turn this thing back in in my grace period and shuck out another $50 bucks for an Android tablet?
    Which Android tablets were you considering? From the specs of that Lenovo you could save a lot of money and get the Nexus 7. The display will be better, it's lighter, easier to handle in one hand, and has far more apps. It also has great battery life, and you'll get Android updates very quickly.

    Yes, apps, because native apps are always better than browser based websites as far as efficiency goes. Sure, you get full Windows on the Lenovo, but that doesn't mean much when the processor chokes on more intense apps like Photoshop and stuff. iTunes barely runs.

    I'm not saying that Windows isn't a viable tablet OS. I think it's quite functional actually. I just think that, for a tablet, apps matter. And right now they aren't on Windows.


    If you were to start talking about larger tablets, say 10+ inches of screen space then the conversation changes a little bit. I do like the Surface 2 a lot, but only when docked in a keyboard. It comes with full Office, which is still great for productivity, and it's plenty fast at running the apps that are there. IE isn't terrible (nor is it that great), but it always registers as a full desktop browser. Right now there aren't a lot of Android tablets in this size that are compelling, the TF701 being the exception (and it seems to have a few small build quality issues right now). It's also plenty fast and has no problems running anything you throw at it.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Darth Spock likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Is there any benefit to an Android tablet over a Windows tablet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    Which Android tablets were you considering? From the specs of that Lenovo you could save a lot of money and get the Nexus 7. The display will be better, it's lighter, easier to handle in one hand, and has far more apps. It also has great battery life, and you'll get Android updates very quickly.

    Yes, apps, because native apps are always better than browser based websites as far as efficiency goes. Sure, you get full Windows on the Lenovo, but that doesn't mean much when the processor chokes on more intense apps like Photoshop and stuff. iTunes barely runs.

    I'm not saying that Windows isn't a viable tablet OS. I think it's quite functional actually. I just think that, for a tablet, apps matter. And right now they aren't on Windows.


    If you were to start talking about larger tablets, say 10+ inches of screen space then the conversation changes a little bit. I do like the Surface 2 a lot, but only when docked in a keyboard. It comes with full Office, which is still great for productivity, and it's plenty fast at running the apps that are there. IE isn't terrible (nor is it that great), but it always registers as a full desktop browser. Right now there aren't a lot of Android tablets in this size that are compelling, the TF701 being the exception (and it seems to have a few small build quality issues right now). It's also plenty fast and has no problems running anything you throw at it.
    I played Portal for around 5 and a half hours and still had 32 percent left on the battery so I don't think that is necessarily true that it beats up the resources too bad. As far as apps go, what do you think it's lacking? I have all of the basic social networking applications which are pretty much the only apps I ever really saw as necessary for a tablet as well as a great comic book reader (Best I've used on any platform really) and a great eReader. I really don't see anything it's missing aside from Kik which seems to finally be dwindling in popularity since they offer very little support for their own services. That, plus I can run pretty much any android app in bluestacks if I want to. I don't really see any stutter on Photoshop, I mean, the initial load time is pretty dismal (roughly 3-4 minutes) but once it's loaded it runs like a dream... I'm trying to find a reason to bring this back but honestly, I'm coming up short.
  4. #4  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,729 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,906 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Is there any benefit to an Android tablet over a Windows tablet?

    Quote Originally Posted by z33dev33l View Post
    I played Portal for around 5 and a half hours and still had 32 percent left on the battery so I don't think that is necessarily true that it beats up the resources too bad. As far as apps go, what do you think it's lacking? I have all of the basic social networking applications which are pretty much the only apps I ever really saw as necessary for a tablet as well as a great comic book reader (Best I've used on any platform really) and a great eReader. I really don't see anything it's missing aside from Kik which seems to finally be dwindling in popularity since they offer very little support for their own services. That, plus I can run pretty much any android app in bluestacks if I want to. I don't really see any stutter on Photoshop, I mean, the initial load time is pretty dismal (roughly 3-4 minutes) but once it's loaded it runs like a dream... I'm trying to find a reason to bring this back but honestly, I'm coming up short.
    I didn't say the Lenovo had poor battery life. It's just not better than the Nexus 7 really. Both will you get you through a day of use.

    For me, the biggest apps that are lacking are any of the Google services. A proper first party YouTube app would be nice (I'm not trying to debate the back and forth between the companies about it here), and Hangouts are the two prominent ones for me. The native Mail app does ok with Gmail. It's not great, but it's functional enough.

    Bluestacks is not a replacement for proper native app support. You're better off using the browser at that point if the app has a comparable website.

    As for Photoshop, I really only used it as an example. You're not going to use that Windows tablet for any serious photo work. For that, you get a more powerful machine. That being said, start processing a ton of photos and see how your battery life holds up then. iTunes was a more real world example of what people would probably do on that device.

    If Photoshop is a legitimate use for you on that tablet, though, there are plenty of fairly powerful photo processing apps on Android, including a version of Photoshop.


    For me the bigger thing is the price difference. I wouldn't in a million years spend that much more for a Windows tablet over the current Nexus 7. It just feels more limited from a purely tablet use case. Again, that changes when you get to larger form factors a bit, but we aren't talking about that. And we haven't even covered media consumption on either device (Nexus 7 wins due to display and speakers IMO).


    The last thing is that if you really enjoy it and it does what you want then who are we (other forum members) to tell you to return it and get something else? I'm just offering my thoughts and opinions based on if I was in the same boat as you and had that decision to make.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  5. #5  
    gollum18's Avatar

    Posts
    1,510 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

    Default Re: Is there any benefit to an Android tablet over a Windows tablet?

    Hmn how about the freedom of not being restricted to a closed source system with little real developer support other than Microsoft. I personally foresee the quality of windows applications degrading, C# makes programming easy enough for dumbies to learn, but that's sort of Microsoft's intent with it.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

    Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

    Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Is there any benefit to an Android tablet over a Windows tablet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    I didn't say the Lenovo had poor battery life. It's just not better than the Nexus 7 really. Both will you get you through a day of use.

    For me, the biggest apps that are lacking are any of the Google services. A proper first party YouTube app would be nice (I'm not trying to debate the back and forth between the companies about it here), and Hangouts are the two prominent ones for me. The native Mail app does ok with Gmail. It's not great, but it's functional enough.

    Bluestacks is not a replacement for proper native app support. You're better off using the browser at that point if the app has a comparable website.

    As for Photoshop, I really only used it as an example. You're not going to use that Windows tablet for any serious photo work. For that, you get a more powerful machine. That being said, start processing a ton of photos and see how your battery life holds up then. iTunes was a more real world example of what people would probably do on that device.

    If Photoshop is a legitimate use for you on that tablet, though, there are plenty of fairly powerful photo processing apps on Android, including a version of Photoshop.


    For me the bigger thing is the price difference. I wouldn't in a million years spend that much more for a Windows tablet over the current Nexus 7. It just feels more limited from a purely tablet use case. Again, that changes when you get to larger form factors a bit, but we aren't talking about that. And we haven't even covered media consumption on either device (Nexus 7 wins due to display and speakers IMO).


    The last thing is that if you really enjoy it and it does what you want then who are we (other forum members) to tell you to return it and get something else? I'm just offering my thoughts and opinions based on if I was in the same boat as you and had that decision to make.
    Well, I suppose not using Google services in general may be a reason I prefer it. I root my phone and even build my own roms to remove everything possible that is Google from Android. I just think it's generally an evil company with how they manage your data despite their viable OS.

    The Nexus 7 is actually more expensive than what I paid for this. How much do you think the Miix 2 8 costs? I got this at $199 with a small coupon, regularly $229. It's definitely the cheaper option as $229 would get me the 16 gig model of the Nexus with a smaller screen which is another reason I couldn't use it as a consumption device. I use a Nokia Lumia 1520 and a Moto G as my daily drivers, my phone being an inch smaller than my tablet kinda defeats the purpose. The speakers are underwhelming, I'll admit that but when I'm looking at the bigger picture and putting all fanboyisms aside, it just seems to be the more plausible option. I've never had to use iTunes though so I can't attest to it. I'd rather rawdog a beehive than buy an apple device.
  7. #7  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,729 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,906 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Is there any benefit to an Android tablet over a Windows tablet?

    Quote Originally Posted by z33dev33l View Post
    Well, I suppose not using Google services in general may be a reason I prefer it. I root my phone and even build my own roms to remove everything possible that is Google from Android. I just think it's generally an evil company with how they manage your data despite their viable OS.

    The Nexus 7 is actually more expensive than what I paid for this. How much do you think the Miix 2 8 costs? I got this at $199 with a small coupon, regularly $229. It's definitely the cheaper option as $229 would get me the 16 gig model of the Nexus with a smaller screen which is another reason I couldn't use it as a consumption device. I use a Nokia Lumia 1520 and a Moto G as my daily drivers, my phone being an inch smaller than my tablet kinda defeats the purpose. The speakers are underwhelming, I'll admit that but when I'm looking at the bigger picture and putting all fanboyisms aside, it just seems to be the more plausible option. I've never had to use iTunes though so I can't attest to it. I'd rather rawdog a beehive than buy an apple device.



    Just a question....do you also root and build your own ROMs for Windows devices? MS does all the same stuff, they just don't tell you about it.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Is there any benefit to an Android tablet over a Windows tablet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post


    Just a question....do you also root and build your own ROMs for Windows devices? MS does all the same stuff, they just don't tell you about it.
    Most of their interest in doing so was obliterated when the Anti-trust act became a thing. Even bing is nowhere near as abrasive as Google and Microsoft makes their income elsewhere.

    I suppose Lenovo's direct prices are a bit insane. I can't believe some people actually but at those prices. I mean, it's certainly a good tablet but when it's available at $200 in a fairly large retail chain...
  9. #9  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    5,695 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,734 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Is there any benefit to an Android tablet over a Windows tablet?

    Not sure I can agree with much of anything here. MS is far worse with data in that they actively share data with third parties, while Google keeps all data in house. Not sure there is even a comparison to be made. People are afraid of integration and very misinformed and those two issues compound each other into the arguments we see above. The worst part is that because our purchase drive future development, all of those ignorant dollar votes are discouraging a free and honest discourse and sending buy signals to the lies driving the stagnation of innovation into modern connected living.

    XT1060. Through spacetime.

    ​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

    Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

  10. #10  

    Default Re: Is there any benefit to an Android tablet over a Windows tablet?

    Quote Originally Posted by z33dev33l View Post
    I'm in the market to purchase a new tablet and I've dug around quite thoroughly in hopes of finding something that suits me. I started looking at a nexus device because Nexus devices are generally the best when it comes to Android (At least in terms of Software, Hardware I'll always go Motorola strictly for build quality.) I did my fair share of digging and stumbled into the Microsoft Store here in Austin not expecting much in the way of tablets outside of a Surface and I simply don't like the shape or feel of them (Though the build quality is superb and likely unparalleled outside of the Apple world.) I also couldn't justify $800 for a tablet unless it was as powerful as my gaming laptop that I spent roughly the same amount on.Looking around though, I found this Lenovo Miix 2 8. This thing really feels good. I mean, I've used all there is with Android but this thing feels like it's what Windows 8 was built for. The gestures are amazingly intuitive when you can reach them all, the OS is likely the most touch friendly of it's kind. It's the first tablet that I've used where I felt like I was using a full-scale OS brought down to a tablet size with the added benefit of touch input... It's not just an oversized phone and on top of that, it costs $50 less than the Android tablets I was considering. I have Borderlands 2 playing on this thing at a solid 28-32 FPS and it cost less than the competition. I've been using it for about two days now. So, I'm wondering, is there any real benefit for me to turn this thing back in in my grace period and shuck out another $50 bucks for an Android tablet?
    First of all, which version of Windows are you talking about? Are you talking about full Windows 8.1, or Windows RT? Because they are two entirely different beasts.

    Second, the Lenovo Miix costs $300. There is a plethora of Android tablets you can choose from that are $300 and under, many of which will provide better gaming performance than Bay Trail-T tablets. Any Android tablet with a Tegra 4 or a Snapdragon 800 will have superior GPU performance than Bay Trail-T.

    Third, if you're into PC gaming, a tablet is a poor choice for PC gaming. Any laptop with an HD4000 will provide roughly three times the gaming performance of Bay Trail-T. And the HD4000 isn't even that great of an integrated GPU.

    Fourth, if you're into mobile gaming, Android is the better choice. There are more mobile games available for Android than Windows RT or Windows Phone 8.

    Fifth, if you do more than just web browsing and watching videos, Android is the better platform for tablet applications. I will agree that x86 provides way more applications than Android ever can, but attempting to use x86 applications on an 8 inch device is extremely frustrating. Sometimes having oversized phone apps is a good thing.
    UJ95x likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Is there any benefit to an Android tablet over a Windows tablet?

    Quote Originally Posted by z33dev33l View Post
    The Nexus 7 is actually more expensive than what I paid for this. How much do you think the Miix 2 8 costs? I got this at $199 with a small coupon, regularly $229.
    Where did you find it for $199? Best Buy and NewEgg has it listed for $299 and $289 respectively.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Is there any benefit to an Android tablet over a Windows tablet?

    I think the nexus 7 is perfect as a tablet, the playstore has loads of apps and games, it's not heavy and fits in your hand easy and comfortably and please don't think I'm saying this because I own one it's everyone to their own taste but when I was looking for a tablet pc to buy money was no object and I bought the nexus 7 but whatever tablet you get I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice..

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: Is there any benefit to an Android tablet over a Windows tablet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Geodude074 View Post
    Where did you find it for $199? Best Buy and NewEgg has it listed for $299 and $289 respectively.
    I walked into the Microsoft store.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: Is there any benefit to an Android tablet over a Windows tablet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Geodude074 View Post
    First of all, which version of Windows are you talking about? Are you talking about full Windows 8.1, or Windows RT? Because they are two entirely different beasts.

    8.1 of course. RT, while definitely the best touch experience of any OS, is not strong at all in many departments.

    Second, the Lenovo Miix costs $300. There is a plethora of Android tablets you can choose from that are $300 and under, many of which will provide better gaming performance than Bay Trail-T tablets. Any Android tablet with a Tegra 4 or a Snapdragon 800 will have superior GPU performance than Bay Trail-T.

    This was purchased for $199 and honestly, while the GPU may be better, I can't think of much on Android that utilizes it and is a good game aside from maybe Dark Meadows.

    Third, if you're into PC gaming, a tablet is a poor choice for PC gaming. Any laptop with an HD4000 will provide roughly three times the gaming performance of Bay Trail-T. And the HD4000 isn't even that great of an integrated GPU.

    I've tested Portal 2, Half-Life 2 and Mass Effect 2 and they all run at a consistent 48-60 FPS. Skyrim was down around twenty but certainly playable.

    Fourth, if you're into mobile gaming, Android is the better choice. There are more mobile games available for Android than Windows RT or Windows Phone 8.

    Honestly, I'm after an eReader and comic reader that I can game on. I haven't found any games that sell me on picking and Android tablet and the system issues with almost all aside from the Nexus tablets is a bit of a turn off. That said, buying a tablet that is barely an inch larger than my phone to read comics on hardly seems practical and I haven't found a strong Comic Book Reader on Android.

    Fifth, if you do more than just web browsing and watching videos, Android is the better platform for tablet applications. I will agree that x86 provides way more applications than Android ever can, but attempting to use x86 applications on an 8 inch device is extremely frustrating. Sometimes having oversized phone apps is a good thing.

    I do social networking, namely Facebook. Not much else so Windows covers that. I do wish I had a bank account app but I use a local credit union and they just barely made an Android app about a month back. IE is very user friendly and intuitive in it's touch interface though and with access to every game ever made for Windows, like you said, Android won't catch up.


    At this point I think I'm sold. The only real argument I'm getting is, "Because apps." For a more touch friendly UI, a more consistent experience and more support, I'll stick with the Lenovo. I love my Motorola G but I can't fathom the appeal of having a slightly larger phone over a scaled down full PC that fits in my pocket.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Is there any benefit to an Android tablet over a Windows tablet?

    Quote Originally Posted by z33dev33l View Post
    At this point I think I'm sold. The only real argument I'm getting is, "Because apps." For a more touch friendly UI, a more consistent experience and more support, I'll stick with the Lenovo. I love my Motorola G but I can't fathom the appeal of having a slightly larger phone over a scaled down full PC that fits in my pocket.
    Honestly to me there are no real benefits to an android tablet over a windows tablet because of one thing that people overlook: A full sized browser with flash. Can't find the app in the Window store? You can use the website. Especially those 8 inch tablets those have full windows 8. Grab a keyboard and boom. Full laptop functionality on a smaller screen.

    Posted via Android Central App
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Is there any benefit to an Android tablet over a Windows tablet?

    Quote Originally Posted by z33dev33l View Post
    I walked into the Microsoft store.
    Oh, you mean like this?



    Still $299.

    The closest Microsoft store is over 300 miles from me, so physically walking into a Microsoft store is out of the question for me and a lot of other people.

    You should be happy that you got a great deal, but don't think it's indicative of what is normal for what other people will find.

    I bought a mint condition Nexus 7 for $100 from Swappa with a warranty, but you don't see me using that in my argument.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Is there any benefit to an Android tablet over a Windows tablet?

    Quote Originally Posted by z33dev33l View Post
    This was purchased for $199 and honestly, while the GPU may be better, I can't think of much on Android that utilizes it and is a good game aside from maybe Dark Meadows.

    See my previous post about price. There are a lot of good mobile games on Android that utilizes the GPU that isn’t available on the Windows Store. I don’t have a complete list of them, but personally on my phone right now I have ShadowGun, Anomaly 2, The Cave, Riptide GP2, Shadowrun and Archangel. Then of course there are all the mobile games available on Android that just aren’t available on the Windows Store like Buddy and Me, Dead on Arrival 2, Symphony of Eternity, Oscura, Contre Jour, Punchquest, Mini Motor Racing, etc and those aren’t even all the games I have on my phone. Yes, I have a lot of mobile games…

    I've tested Portal 2, Half-Life 2 and Mass Effect 2 and they all run at a consistent 48-60 FPS. Skyrim was down around twenty but certainly playable.

    You’re running at 1280x800 so that’s hardly an achievement. Half-Life 2 is over 10 years old? I remember playing that back in 2004. What are your performance settings at? Low, medium, high? Have you tried connecting to an external monitor and running at 1080p and seeing what framerates you get then? The Nexus 7 2013 has a 1200p screen and games flawlessly.

    In any case, I’d strongly question using a Bay Trail-T tablet for PC gaming when it isn’t even 1/3rd the performance of an HD4000.

    Honestly, I'm after an eReader and comic reader that I can game on. I haven't found any games that sell me on picking and Android tablet and the system issues with almost all aside from the Nexus tablets is a bit of a turn off. That said, buying a tablet that is barely an inch larger than my phone to read comics on hardly seems practical and I haven't found a strong Comic Book Reader on Android.

    The fact you can’t find any mobile games to play is your personal dilemma and not indicative of what’s normal. I’ve found tons of mobile games on Android that I absolutely love. I find it ironic that you take a stab at Android’s “system issues” when you’re comparing it to Windows 8. And for less than $300 there are plenty of 8 inch Android tablets you can buy. For less than $200 there’s a couple 8 inch Android tablets you can buy as well from Acer and Dell. For around $300 there are even 10 inch Android tablets you can buy.So your argument about size is invalid.

    I do social networking, namely Facebook. Not much else so Windows covers that. I do wish I had a bank account app but I use a local credit union and they just barely made an Android app about a month back. IE is very user friendly and intuitive in it's touch interface though and with access to every game ever made for Windows, like you said, Android won't catch up.

    The Facebook app is a million more times convenient than pulling up the Facebook site. Do I really need to get into it? Chrome > IE for a million billion reasons. Sucks that Chrome on Windows 8 isn’t optimized for touch, and I’ve noticed it has some issues such as Shockwave not working at times, but that’s a Windows 8 issue and has no presence on Android.

    At this point I think I'm sold. The only real argument I'm getting is, "Because apps." For a more touch friendly UI, a more consistent experience and more support, I'll stick with the Lenovo. I love my Motorola G but I can't fathom the appeal of having a slightly larger phone over a scaled down full PC that fits in my pocket.

    “Because apps” is a pretty good argument. Price is too, since the Lenovo Miix 2 8 is $300 from all outlets. Gaming is another, since a Tegra 4 or SD800 outshines Bay Trail-T. I prefer Android over Windows 8 for a touch UI – it’s less of a learning curve and more touch friendly, since you don’t have to switch between a Start Screen and a Desktop. I have a Windows 7 desktop and a Windows 8 laptop and I can’t fathom the appeal of attempting to use the Desktop on an 8 inch device with my fingers. For that kind of size, Android is clearly better.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Is there any benefit to an Android tablet over a Windows tablet?

    Benefit is situational.

    Do you need Office, Exchange support? Windows tablet is going to be much better experience. Do you want a larger platform and ecosystem? Android is going to be better.

    Also I wouldn't consider Bay Trail tablets to be just tablets, because those run full versions of Windows and gives you more options than Android when it comes that.

    But if you don't need those options, there isn't much of a point.
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Is there any benefit to an Android tablet over a Windows tablet?

    Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    Honestly to me there are no real benefits to an android tablet over a windows tablet because of one thing that people overlook: A full sized browser with flash. Can't find the app in the Window store? You can use the website. Especially those 8 inch tablets those have full windows 8. Grab a keyboard and boom. Full laptop functionality on a smaller screen.

    Posted via Android Central App
    You can run Flash on Android.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

    Default Re: Is there any benefit to an Android tablet over a Windows tablet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Geodude074 View Post
    Oh, you mean like this?



    Still $299.

    The closest Microsoft store is over 300 miles from me, so physically walking into a Microsoft store is out of the question for me and a lot of other people.

    You should be happy that you got a great deal, but don't think it's indicative of what is normal for what other people will find.

    I bought a mint condition Nexus 7 for $100 from Swappa with a warranty, but you don't see me using that in my argument.
    It was a pretty broad Valentines sale. It wasn't like I was the only one this was made available to.

    Quote Originally Posted by Geodude074 View Post

    See my previous post about price. There are a lot of good mobile games on Android that utilizes the GPU that isn’t available on the Windows Store. I don’t have a complete list of them, but personally on my phone right now I have ShadowGun, Anomaly 2, The Cave, Riptide GP2, Shadowrun and Archangel. Then of course there are all the mobile games available on Android that just aren’t available on the Windows Store like Buddy and Me, Dead on Arrival 2, Symphony of Eternity, Oscura, Contre Jour, Punchquest, Mini Motor Racing, etc and those aren’t even all the games I have on my phone. Yes, I have a lot of mobile games…

    Aside from the racing games none of those really look too impressive or graphic intensive at all when you consider the fact that this thing runs Skyrim on medium settings.

    You’re running at 1280x800 so that’s hardly an achievement. Half-Life 2 is over 10 years old? I remember playing that back in 2004. What are your performance settings at? Low, medium, high? Have you tried connecting to an external monitor and running at 1080p and seeing what framerates you get then? The Nexus 7 2013 has a 1200p screen and games flawlessly.

    In any case, I’d strongly question using a Bay Trail-T tablet for PC gaming when it isn’t even 1/3rd the performance of an HD4000.

    I am not a big gamer, I prefer just a bit of fun here and there. I put most of these on here just to test the boundaries aside from Amnesia: The Dark Descent which runs even on high settings. PC gaming never much interested me, I'm more of a handheld guy. Bravely Default is the best game ever made and the graphics on it are subpar at best.

    The fact you can’t find any mobile games to play is your personal dilemma and not indicative of what’s normal. I’ve found tons of mobile games on Android that I absolutely love. I find it ironic that you take a stab at Android’s “system issues” when you’re comparing it to Windows 8. And for less than $300 there are plenty of 8 inch Android tablets you can buy. For less than $200 there’s a couple 8 inch Android tablets you can buy as well from Acer and Dell. For around $300 there are even 10 inch Android tablets you can buy.So your argument about size is invalid.

    Yes, but Android is crap on anything outside of a Nexus tablets. Plagued with a complete lack of updates, force closes, incompatibility with so many titles that honestly, there's no reason for it to be incompatible with and lots more. Sure, there's a lot of quick Android games to pick up and put down but nothing really compelling except for bargain bin clones of the games I can play on this.

    The Facebook app is a million more times convenient than pulling up the Facebook site. Do I really need to get into it? Chrome > IE for a million billion reasons. Sucks that Chrome on Windows 8 isn’t optimized for touch, and I’ve noticed it has some issues such as Shockwave not working at times, but that’s a Windows 8 issue and has no presence on Android.

    Shockwave? Did I just trip and fall into 2003? There's no way I'd ever use Chrome over IE. It's unstable and a complete resource hog on any OS, Android included. All of that paired with Google's data-mining? No thanks, first thing I do on my Android devices is to remove that and get a better third party browser.

    “Because apps” is a pretty good argument. Price is too, since the Lenovo Miix 2 8 is $300 from all outlets. Gaming is another, since a Tegra 4 or SD800 outshines Bay Trail-T. I prefer Android over Windows 8 for a touch UI – it’s less of a learning curve and more touch friendly, since you don’t have to switch between a Start Screen and a Desktop. I have a Windows 7 desktop and a Windows 8 laptop and I can’t fathom the appeal of attempting to use the Desktop on an 8 inch device with my fingers. For that kind of size, Android is clearly better.

    Yeah, the Tegra 4 would obliterate Bay Trail if it had games of PC quality to showcase it. Until then, it's underutilized. I honestly haven't even pulled up the classic desktop in days. That's more like Android's command terminal for me. Sure, it's there. Sure, I can go there and toy with some things but ultimately, the need for it is gone. The start menu fully functions as an OS in itself with the start screen being an added plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Farish View Post
    Benefit is situational.

    Do you need Office, Exchange support? Windows tablet is going to be much better experience. Do you want a larger platform and ecosystem? Android is going to be better.

    Also I wouldn't consider Bay Trail tablets to be just tablets, because those run full versions of Windows and gives you more options than Android when it comes that.

    But if you don't need those options, there isn't much of a point.
    I do really love the full Office suite. I don't really see how Android has the larger platform or ecosystem though...

    Quote Originally Posted by Geodude074 View Post
    You can run Flash on Android.
    You can run flash on this too, officially and without using a version that hasn't been upgraded in years.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Is there any benefit to an Android tablet over a Windows tablet?

    Quote Originally Posted by z33dev33l View Post

    Aside from the racing games none of those really look too impressive or graphic intensive at all when you consider the fact that this thing runs Skyrim on medium settings.

    Skyrim on medium settings doesn’t look graphically impressive, especially considering when it’s running at 720p on medium settings. The fact you personally think games on Android don’t look graphically impressive is your own biased subjective opinion and has nothing to do with the actual quality of the games themselves. I insist you educate yourself and take a look at the offerings of Android titles out there, you will be surprised at what you learn.

    I am not a big gamer, I prefer just a bit of fun here and there. I put most of these on here just to test the boundaries aside from Amnesia: The Dark Descent which runs even on high settings. PC gaming never much interested me, I'm more of a handheld guy. Bravely Default is the best game ever made and the graphics on it are subpar at best.

    You say you aren’t a big gamer, but you keep bringing up the fact that Bay Trail-T can play these PC games around 30 fps. So which is it? Do you care about gaming performance or don’t you? And if you’re into handheld gaming, Android tablets DOMINATE. The Windows Store has an extremely poor offering of gaming titles. And PC games don’t work well with your fingers.

    Yes, but Android is crap on anything outside of a Nexus tablets. Plagued with a complete lack of updates, force closes, incompatibility with so many titles that honestly, there's no reason for it to be incompatible with and lots more. Sure, there's a lot of quick Android games to pick up and put down but nothing really compelling except for bargain bin clones of the games I can play on this.

    This is once again a blanket ignorant statement. There are plenty of non-Nexus Android devices that work flawlessly – stop judging Android by the old 2.3 days. “Plagued with a complete lack of updates” – Really now? Have you heard of 4.4.2 KitKat? “Force closes” – once again you’re comparing Android applications to Windows applications, which have forced closed or frozen on me so many times I don’t even blink when it happens anymore. “Incompatibility with so many titles” – right, because the Windows Store certainly has more titles.

    Shockwave? Did I just trip and fall into 2003? There's no way I'd ever use Chrome over IE. It's unstable and a complete resource hog on any OS, Android included. All of that paired with Google's data-mining? No thanks, first thing I do on my Android devices is to remove that and get a better third party browser.

    I guess that’s your personal choice to choose an inferior browser. I can’t help you there. I’d rather have Google’s analytical intelligent searches than Bing’s terrible keyword search any day. There's a reason why it uses more RAM - because it does more things for you.

    Yeah, the Tegra 4 would obliterate Bay Trail if it had games of PC quality to showcase it. Until then, it's underutilized. I honestly haven't even pulled up the classic desktop in days. That's more like Android's command terminal for me. Sure, it's there. Sure, I can go there and toy with some things but ultimately, the need for it is gone. The start menu fully functions as an OS in itself with the start screen being an added plus.

    So in other words, even though ARM chips have the superior GPU performance, you’d rather choose the inferior Bay Trail-T, even though you’re kind of/can’t decide if you’re a gamer? And I find it funny that you prefer the Start Screen over Android’s interface. The Start Screen is a cluttered mess, it takes ages to find all the applications you need (scrolling and scrolling and scrolling), and if you DON’T use the Desktop that often, that means an environment like Windows RT would be more suited to you. So in other words, you enjoy the limited functionality of a Windows RT-like system, and you agree that the Desktop for touch is cumbersome, especially on an 8 inch device. More reasons why Android’s touch interface is better.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

    Default Re: Is there any benefit to an Android tablet over a Windows tablet?

    Skyrim on medium settings doesn’t look graphically impressive, especially considering when it’s running at 720p on medium settings. The fact you personally think games on Android don’t look graphically impressive is your own biased subjective opinion and has nothing to do with the actual quality of the games themselves. I insist you educate yourself and take a look at the offerings of Android titles out there, you will be surprised at what you learn.

    It's ironic that you call me biased when any bias I might offer is reflected upon you tenfold. Half the games you listed were top down RPGs that were, at best, Torchlight 2 calibur and a 2D platformer which was fun but not impressive. It's simply not as good as a full-scale game.

    You say you aren’t a big gamer, but you keep bringing up the fact that Bay Trail-T can play these PC games around 30 fps. So which is it? Do you care about gaming performance or don’t you? And if you’re into handheld gaming, Android tablets DOMINATE. The WindowsStore has an extremely poor offering of gaming titles. And PC games don’t work well with your fingers.

    There's several softwares that allow you to build a virtual keyboard for any game. Gestureworks even does most of it for you and Overwolf has a ton of prebuilt ones. I can play Skyrim just as well with the gamepad with as without. You can't get a game that expansive on Android. As far as Windows Store's apparently bad offerings, I've found a ton of games on there that I'd have killed to have on Android when I was as much a blatant fanboy as you are. Ilomilo is still the best puzzle game out on any device.

    This is once again a blanket ignorant statement. There are plenty of non-Nexus Android devices that work flawlessly – stop judging Android by the old 2.3 days. “Plagued with a complete lack of updates” – Really now? Have you heard of 4.4.2 KitKat? “Force closes” – once again you’re comparing Android applications to Windows applications, which have forced closed or frozen on me so many times I don’t even blink when it happens anymore. “Incompatibility with so many titles” – right, because the Windows Store certainly has more titles.

    Most Android phones see 1-2 updates if that and yes, I run Kitkat on my Moto G (I had a nexus 5 but I ditched it because someone offered more than the market value for it and I like the form factor of the G more.) I couldn't simultaneously run kik and Facebook on either device without one force closing. The only device I had that I could was the old GS3 and there's no way you could pay me to use a Samsung device again. The funniest part, on each of those three devices, two of which were top tier for their time, there were a ton of games that I simply couldn't play because some little hardware aspect didn't pair up with the game.

    I guess that’s your personal choice to choose an inferior browser. I can’t help you there. I’d rather have Google’s analytical intelligent searches than Bing’s terrible keyword search any day. There's a reason why it uses more RAM - because it does more things for you.

    Let's pretend it's not 2008 anymore. IE used to suck, I get it. Now it's actually pretty impressive. I prefer a page to fully render before I see everything instead of sometimes getting these awful half-loaded pages with Flash crashing. I mean I know this laptop is a good two years old but it has 4 gigs of ram and a powerful processor that can run Crysis pretty clearly. No idea why it can't manage one little browser.

    So in other words, even though ARM chips have the superior GPU performance, you’d rather choose the inferior Bay Trail-T, even though you’re kind of/can’t decide if you’re a gamer? And I find it funny that you prefer the Start Screen over Android’s interface. The Start Screen is a cluttered mess, it takes ages to find all the applications you need (scrolling and scrolling and scrolling), and if you DON’T use the Desktop that often, that means an environment like Windows RT would be more suited to you. So in other words, you enjoy the limited functionality of a Windows RT-like system, and you agree that the Desktop for touch is cumbersome, especially on an 8 inch device. More reasons why Android’s touch interface is better.

    Not at all, the desktop OS is totally usable and I used it while adapting to the start screen which was remarkably easy. I didn't even use Metro IE which was a huge mistake because it's awesome. The desktop environment works excellently. The start menu is just better suited for touch though honestly, the desktop pretty much is the generic old sea of icons just like Android and iOS and funny enough, I just compared, they're actually bigger than the icons on the Nexus 7. Yup, guess icons that small aren't suited for touch, huh?

    This was never a who has the bigger processor war until you turned it into that .If your little GPU does more for you then by all means, take it. If they put the GPU on a chip capable of running on full windows, I'm onboard. I could care less about hardware because at the end of the day, it's how it performs and this performs excellently as I'm sure your Nexus does for you but I'd rather have a pocket sized full computer than a slightly scaled up phone without the data plan. I really was hoping you'd reply to the comment regarding Flash though, I feel you learned something there.

    That said, I just picked up a Nexus 7 on Swappa for $80. It'll be for my kid's Netflix and games for car rides. It's not a bad tablet, there's just some out there that are better suited for me.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

    Default Re: Is there any benefit to an Android tablet over a Windows tablet?

    Wait, does this site micro-mange it's posts? Like, have to approve each post before they show up? That's disappointing.
  24. #24  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    5,695 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,734 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Is there any benefit to an Android tablet over a Windows tablet?

    Quote Originally Posted by z33dev33l View Post
    Wait, does this site micro-mange it's posts? Like, have to approve each post before they show up? That's disappointing.
    I'm not sure exactly how that works but it's an automated thing for new users and I think a lot of your posts are within the quotes of the previous one, so it doesn't see any new content and doesn't know what to do with it. If you like can check with the admins by posting in site feedback to find out if there is an exact reason they can pin down.

    ​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

    Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

  25. #25  

    Default Re: Is there any benefit to an Android tablet over a Windows tablet?

    Quote Originally Posted by z33dev33l View Post



    I do really love the full Office suite. I don't really see how Android has the larger platform or ecosystem though...
    When it comes to mobile and a touch base ecosystem, Android wins. If you want to include desktop and enterprise, Windows wins, but a lot of those desktop/enterprise apps have no form of touch support.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Will the note 3 upgrade to samsung's reported new touchwiz?
    By tanker8764 in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-06-2014, 05:53 PM
  2. Best Final Fantasy to start with?
    By noxos in forum The Gamer's Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-22-2014, 11:16 AM
  3. "Message Not Sent" to only one contact
    By C_Bax in forum Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2014, 04:37 PM
  4. Apple vs Android 2014?
    By Brad Semenick in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-17-2014, 02:10 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-16-2014, 04:30 PM

Posting Permissions

B