Which of these Android phones would you recommend?

Lee Moreau

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I posted a similar forum but decided to change providers to Wind Mobile here in Canada for my second phone. There's a few options I have to choose from, so just curious on thoughts. My main issue is I HATE big phones! All of these seem to be around 5" though so I think I just have to live with it which is fine. I don't have any critical requirements other than it needs to have really good sound quality especially on Bluetooth since 95% of the time it will be used for making calls as my iPhone 5 is my main phone. Here's the options:

Nexus 5 - $99, I'm leaning towards this one because it's the cheapest but seems good. Only issues I can see are battery life, however I think that wireless charging option it has is insanely cool and since I'm using this as my work phone where I'd mostly be sitting at my desk, I could just have one of those wireless chargers there so not really an issue.

HTC One - $199

Galaxy S4 - $199

LG G2 - $199

Galaxy Note 3 - $299, I know this goes against everything I said about the small screen but throwing it out there.

There's some others or lower end ones or older like S3, S3 Note etc, they are all at Devices if it lets me post links. I'm mostly tossing it up between the Nexus 5 and possibly the HTC One but wanted to get thoughts on these devices. I'm kind of against the S4, only because I owned a S3 before and really didn't like it that much I found the plastic made it feel cheap and I found it seemed really slow with all the Samsung stuff on it vs just stock android but not too sure. Thanks!

Edit just wanted to add also, that the above pricing is for Wind's $50 plan which is unlimited everything, talk, data etc plus voicemail. For $40 it's the same plan but no voicemail (not an issue since I could use YouMail or whatever). If I did that then the Nexus 5 is $249 and the others are $349 with the note like $449.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
HTC One > LG G2 > S4

Note depends on how you feel about the form factor and whether the stylus is a selling point to you. It has the same camera as the S4 so if the S4's worse camera would not sell it to you over the One or G2's superior camera, neither will the Note 3's.

Lee Moreau

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
So you wouldn't even consider the Nexus 5?

Just wanted to point out that my iPhone 5 is my primary phone, this is just for work. We use Google Apps which is why I want android, but 95% of the time it will just be used to make calls. Taking pictures etc would be very rare so that's why I was leaning more towards the Nexus 5 due to its price point.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Nexus 5 - $99, I'm leaning towards this one because it's the cheapest but seems good. Only issues I can see are battery life, however I think that wireless charging option it has is insanely cool and since I'm using this as my work phone where I'd mostly be sitting at my desk, I could just have one of those wireless chargers there so not really an issue.

HTC One - $199

Galaxy S4 - $199

LG G2 - $199

Galaxy Note 3 - $299
I think I'd go with the Nexus 5 of those choices. It's not the best at anything, but has the best balance hardware-wise, and is the only one with Vanilla Android.

The only reason to get the One now IMO is if you really really like the case and/or speakers. It's a little long in the tooth nowadays...I definitely would not pay $200 on contract for one.

Battery life on the Nexus 5 has been greatly exaggerated. It is actually quite good IMO. It also holds a charge very very well and charges very quickly compared to the other phones in that list.

60090.png

AnandTech | Google Nexus 5 Review

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I posted a similar forum but decided to change providers to Wind Mobile here in Canada for my second phone. There's a few options I have to choose from, so just curious on thoughts. My main issue is I HATE big phones! All of these seem to be around 5" though so I think I just have to live with it which is fine. I don't have any critical requirements other than it needs to have really good sound quality especially on Bluetooth since 95% of the time it will be used for making calls as my iPhone 5 is my main phone. Here's the options:

HTC One - $199

Galaxy S4 - $199

LG G2 - $199

Galaxy Note 3 - $299, I know this goes against everything I said about the small screen but throwing it out there.

There's some others or lower end ones or older like S3, S3 Note etc, they are all at Devices if it lets me post links. I'm mostly tossing it up between the Nexus 5 and possibly the HTC One but wanted to get thoughts on these devices. I'm kind of against the S4, only because I owned a S3 before and really didn't like it that much I found the plastic made it feel cheap and I found it seemed really slow with all the Samsung stuff on it vs just stock android but not too sure. Thanks!

Edit just wanted to add also, that the above pricing is for Wind's $50 plan which is unlimited everything, talk, data etc plus voicemail. For $40 it's the same plan but no voicemail (not an issue since I could use YouMail or whatever). If I did that then the Nexus 5 is $249 and the others are $349 with the note like $449.

Of that list, Nexus 5 for sure.

Lee Moreau

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone that helps, that's what I'm thinking I'll do. Battery life anyway isn't critical for me since I'm only going to be using it from my desk and then once in awhile remotely etc, and those wireless charging pads I think will make it was easier since I can just sit it on that at my desk. Thanks!

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
The thing I love about the Nexus 5 battery (and the Nexus 4 as well) is how well they hold a charge. It is almost as if they are completely turned off when the screen is not on. I have seen the Nexus 5 drop less than 1% overnight. I don't see that on other phones.

Lee Moreau

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Awesome thanks, that actually happened to me last night with my iPhone 5 ironically, I had it charging and was at 100% and I turned off the screen and went to bed and when I got up this morning it was still at 100% :)

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Awesome thanks, that actually happened to me last night with my iPhone 5 ironically, I had it charging and was at 100% and I turned off the screen and went to bed and when I got up this morning it was still at 100% :)
Well, I can tell you that is not normal on most Android phones. Certainly not on HTC or Samsung phones. Before the Nexus 4 I had never seen that on Android.

Lee Moreau

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to say I got the Nexus 5 and I love it so far! I can't believe how thin and light it is and the screen is awesome. Was concerned 5" was too big but now my iPhone feels so tiny. So far battery is amazing, was using it and playing with it all day yesterday and when I went to bed it was saying charge it, and was around 10%, but I was using it non stop. Been using it a lot today since I got up around 7 and the battery is currently at 66%, so seems like what I'd expect from my iPhone. Really happy with it so far if anyone else is reading this and debating on it :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon