Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JeffDenver
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What Tablet Should I Get?

I'm trying to decide which tablet to get, I will be mainly using it for YouTube, Netflix, browsing the web and occasionally maybe schoolwork. My price limit is around $400 but would save up if a tablet is that good. I'm looking for about an 8" screen, that seems like the perfect size for me. The candidates are the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, LG G Pad 8.4 GPE, Nexus 7 and the Apple iPad Mini with Retina Display. Battery life isn't too much of an issue, as I'll mainly be using it at home. Storage also isn't really an issue. I want it to be fast,fluid and intuitive and being able to browse the web while watching YouTube videos is a huge bonus for me. I'll also consider the 10" variants of each (Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1, Nexus 10, iPad Air) if you think that would be better and back it up. Thanks!

Default Re: What Tablet Should I Get?

Nexus.

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by Emac4444 View Post
    I'm trying to decide which tablet to get, I will be mainly using it for YouTube, Netflix, browsing the web and occasionally maybe schoolwork. My price limit is around $400 but would save up if a tablet is that good. I'm looking for about an 8" screen, that seems like the perfect size for me. The candidates are the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, LG G Pad 8.4 GPE, Nexus 7 and the Apple iPad Mini with Retina Display. Battery life isn't too much of an issue, as I'll mainly be using it at home. Storage also isn't really an issue. I want it to be fast,fluid and intuitive and being able to browse the web while watching YouTube videos is a huge bonus for me. I'll also consider the 10" variants of each (Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1, Nexus 10, iPad Air) if you think that would be better and back it up. Thanks!
    I would not get anything other than the Nexus 7 (2013) at this point. Maybe an LG G Pad if I was desperate (though I would probably end up ROMming it).

I like the Nexus 10 a lot, but it is about to undergo a refresh...which means the new one will be much better hardware and the old one will be much cheaper. The old one is still a great tablet though....my boss has one. The display on that thing is still excellent, even by 2014 standards.

I would get the LG Gpad Google Play Edition over the Nexus
    But if you want the regular version, for sale here for $250, ends tonight:

I can't recommend Nexus 10, its a year and a half old and the new one is coming very soon.
    Last edited by someguy01234; 02-17-2014 at 06:37 PM.

Nexus 10 with a stand case.

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App

You said schoolwork, so I will give you the disclaimer that I give everybody else.

If your school has any special software, online courses, etc, make sure the tablet you want is compatible with it. There was a poster a few months back who bought a Nexus 10 and it would not work with his school online courses. Sometimes because of this the best tablet to get is a Windows Tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    Nexus 10 with a stand case.

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App
    Matter of fact get a chromebook or a windows tablet. A tablet will be frustrating to use if you ever want to type anything. I see a tablet as pur media consumption and very web browsing. Anything more than that get a chromebook or a windows tablet.

Posted via Android Central App

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

For school work I'd get none of the above...I would get a cheap Windows 8 laptop instead. Tablets are not good computer replacements IMO...they are only good as supplements.

I would not buy a tablet unless you already have a PC or laptop.
    Last edited by JeffDenver; 02-18-2014 at 01:37 PM.
    Thanked by:
    A895 
    A895 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    For school work I'd get none of the above...I would get a cheap Windows 8 laptop instead. Tablets are not god computer replacements IMO...they are only good as supplements.

I would not buy a tablet unless you already have a PC or laptop.
    Exactly.

Asus T100 is your safest bet at $400

If you don't even have a dedicated computer it's good choice long as you don't do anything like Photoshop or video editing. If you can't get something as a Windows 8 app you can always use the website as this is a full windows tablet with adobe flash in the browser.

Yeah I like the Asus tablets, but the Nexus ones are good too. My wife has a Samsung 10.1, it's not really a good tablet.
    Motorola Moto X (rooted/unlocked 4.4.2)
    HTC One X (4.1.1)
    Asus Memo Pad 10 ME301T (rooted 4.2.1)

Quote Originally Posted by TeknoBug View Post
    Yeah I like the Asus tablets, but the Nexus ones are good too. My wife has a Samsung 10.1, it's not really a good tablet.
    Did you see what this is? This is a full windows 8.1 tablet with the ability to download and use legacy apps. It also has a full keyboard dock. This is pretty much a lower powered convertible laptop.

For clarification, when I state Windows 8 tablets, I mean the ones with Intel quad core Atom processors with full versions of Windows 8.

They are great zippy machines. If it wasn't for storage space reasons, I would have gotten one of these for my wife over a Windows 8 laptop.

Get the Dell Venue 8 Pro for $250. It's an 8 inch tablet that does YouTube, Netflix, web browsing, and has Office 365 included.