Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TeknoBug
  • 1 Post By JohnBB101
  • 1 Post By rthomas529
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Converting your old phone into a Bluetooth receiver?

I own a Nokia BH505 (the sound quality is terrible but I'm pretty sure mine is a Chinese knock off; I bought them for 20 bucks), and the convenience of having wireless headphones is immense.

I have a few old phones lying around (a Nokia XpressMusic 5800, a few Blackberry Curves etc.), and I was contemplating the idea of somehow converting them into Bluetooth receivers, where I can plug in any pair of headphones or a line out and control it with my phone.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Another idea is to teardown the BH505 and do something similar..

Default Re: Converting your old phone into a Bluetooth receiver?

There's a handful of apps on the market that lets you do this, I've played with some, I don't have a BT transmitter yet but thinking of getting one but I have had it setup with my laptop to transmit audio and it worked great, I use one of those radio RF wireless headphones right now for when I walk around the house listening to music and signal can be iffy at times.
    12Kels likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by John Michaud View Post
    Please just buy yourself a real Bluetooth Music receiver, you will find out the quality is much better than what you want. Converting an old phone without Apt-x into a bluetooth receiver is a bad idea.
    Thanks for the input John, I was hoping to make this into a DIY project; just to see if it'll happen. What do you mean by Apt-X? I'm not familiar with Bluetooth protocol...
    prepaidguy9081 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by John Michaud View Post
    Please just buy yourself a real Bluetooth Music receiver, you will find out the quality is much better than what you want. Converting an old phone without Apt-x into a bluetooth receiver is a bad idea.
    Wi-fi
    I mean if your talking better music quality. More bandwidth=more good!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

This would be a cool diy project indeed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

Old android devices are free and if quality isn't an issue this is a perfect solution and have it implemented with a pair of aux speakers hidden on top of my cabinets. It works great for wireless calls and spotify and so forth.
    12Kels likes this.

Hey mate, have you figured anything out for this? I reckon it'd be good, and I also have a few older phones lying around.

I'm also interested in this. Also wanted to know if I could turn my phone into a bluetooth transceiver to hook up to my ps3, so I could use wired headphones with a mic as a gaming headset. Anyone know if there are any apps that help with this?

The idea is to use the bluetooth feature on my ps3 to be able to use non battery powered headphones w/mic for gaming. Wanting to use my phone as the intermediary between ps3 and my earbuds.

Anyone able to explain why this might be or might not be possible?