Will Google ever die?

ahawkua

Banned
Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Will Google die? If so do you think it'll be soon? I'm worried because a lot of my data is backed up with Google plus my purchases with with Google. So what will happen when Google dies? Will there be ways to import our data? Will the new company that beats android be better? please tell me what you think. Thanks

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: will Google ever die?

Maybe in 50 years when they lose the war in the revolution of man against machines. I wouldn't worry about your pictures.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

Will Google die? If so do you think it'll be soon? I'm worried because a lot of my data is backed up with Google plus my purchases with with Google. So what will happen when Google dies? Will there be ways to import our data? Will the new company that beats android be better? please tell me what you think. Thanks

Posted via Android Central App

I don't think Google will die so soon. If you worried about storing data in the cloud, that should be a concern with any cloud service. When will Google die? It's pretty hard to see it since they are deeply embedded with a lot of stuff we use almost daily (or at least I do). I don't think you should worry about Google dying. "Beating android" is a little bit vague. I think functionality wise Android is hard to beat, but there is plenty of room for companies to enter the OS arena.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I don't think we'll see Google "die" anytime soon. Their cloud service is different as they could kill support for it at any given time, but I wouldn't worry about it actually happening. You should still backup your data in places other than the cloud. A computer or flash drive would be ideal

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site

I don't think we'll see Google "die" anytime soon. Their cloud service is different as they could kill support for it at any given time, but I wouldn't worry about it actually happening. You should still backup your data in places other than the cloud. A computer or flash drive would be ideal

Even if Google will "die", it's not gonna happen overnight. People will have years of signs to migrate to something else

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

Everything dies eventually, but it won't be soon. History has shown though that Google does pull services from time to time if they're not popular/successful enough. In with the others: don't worry about it. If and when the time comes, enough people will be in the same boat as you that someone will come up with an easy solution.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Everything dies eventually, but it won't be soon. History has shown though that Google does pull services from time to time if they're not popular/successful enough. In with the others: don't worry about it. If and when the time comes, enough people will be in the same boat as you that someone will come up with an easy solution.

That's going to be weird :p
"Remember when Google was still around?" or "who still uses Google for web searches?"

gdmin

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site

Probably google will still be around when you're a grandpa.

Sent using Tapatalk

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

I think the data they stored are too valuable for governments that even if they cease to exist, the information will still remain and utilized, so they will still exist in some form.

All hail the corporate overlords.

Linh321

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site

Google main source of revenue is Search combination with ads! That is their bread and butter. As long as search is being used Google gets its traffic and Ads revenue.. Google extended services are there so it can expand its search and ads.. Making it more capable of collecting data and feeds Ads! There's no way that Google will die but only evolve into a bigger entity and there cash cow to support their system is Search anx Ads.

Posted via Android Central App with LG Google Nexus 4

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

Not anytime soon if at all. Google seems to be making a lot of good decisions. There is no company on the horizon that will beat them...Apple has not been able to do it despite starting with a massive lead and despite the fact that they are swimming in cash. And if Apple can't do it, it is doubtful anyone else will.

Import/Export is always easy with Google services in general, because they are an open platform. So I would not be too worried about orphaned music or files. That being said, you should never rely entirely on an online service. You should be keeping your own back-ups of whatever you buy in non-DRM format (ePUB for books, MP3 for music).

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

I sure hope so

Google does not make their money off Android or phones. Those are just a means to an end for them. First and foremost they are an advertising company. So they make money off of all platforms, even Apple.

There is nothing on the horizon that does what Google can do as well or better than they can. so they are not going anywhere. MIT recently placed them at #3 on their top tech companies of 2014 list. Apple and Microsoft did not even make the list. Google is ahead of every single phone or OS maker on the list.

50 Smartest Companies 2014 - MIT Technology Review

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I don't think so.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Google will keep growing and growing until eventually it becomes so huge it will explode in to a Supernova.

Then it will collapse in to itself forming a Black Hole, sucking all of your precious data with it never to be seen again....

PlayableBox

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
With the various products that Google creates to keep the business running, it will not happen soon. But any important document should be backup on at least two different locations

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae