Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hnguyen
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    374 Global Posts

Default technobuffalo site

I read technobuffalo.com as part of my daily tech news feed for about a year. An hour ago while clicking through some of the posts I get a popup stating I have a virus and that I should download an app to remove it. It only gives the option to click on "OK". If you click on it it takes you to the google play store to download a shady looking Antivirus app. I didn't want to take any chances so I immediately did a factory reset on my phone. Once I set it all up again I loaded up the same website and I got the same popup. The thing is that other websites are fine; androidcentral, BGR, Endgaget, etc.

Anyways, I wasn't sure if its just my nexus 5 phone or that its the website. Anyone (brave enough) want to check out the site and see if its only just me or there's something sketchy with technobuffalo.com Thanks in advance.

Default Re: technobuffalo site

That behavior makes it sound like a popup on that website, which then directs you to that sketchy app. I really doubt you have a virus, unless you actually gave permission to install something. You might want to contact the site's support people and let them know about this: . Use your desktop browser, not your cellphone.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    374 Global Posts

Thanks for the reply. Shoot them an email.

Posted via Android Central App
    B. Diddy likes this.

Had a similar issue with PhoneArena a while ago, your phone doesn't have a virus its some idiots taking advantage of pop ups, very annoying.
    Samsung GALAXY S 4 32GB Exynos Octa Black Mist
    Samsung GALAXY S II 16GB Ceramic White
    Apple iPad4 WiFi+3G/LTE 16GB

I also encountered this before using tubemate and mx player free edition. Those little mobile ads or pop up scared the crap out of me and I ended up doing the same thing. Factory reset my phone later finding out it was just a stupid mobile ads!

Posted via Android Central App with LG Google Nexus 4