Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What causes Android phones to lag over time?

I'm sure many of us had the experience of owning a phone that started lagging after several months of use. Apps like Chrome and even the launcher would take ages to load. Reflashing the rom seems to solve the problem until it starts lagging again a while later.

Any ideas? Some say it's the Android 4.3 seems to solve this problem as many Nexus 7 first generation owners reported vastly improved performance after they updated to 4.3. Trim support seems to really go a long way with garbage collection.

Others say it's the cache that needs clearing over time.

Any thoughts? I have a Nexus 4 I bought secondhand and I'd rather that it not face these problems. Hoping I don't run into any lag later down the road as I did with my old LG G2x.
    Last edited by jackadillo; 02-22-2014 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Punctuation

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Default Re: What causes Android phones to lag over time?

I have seen the lag-over-time problem before, but not since I have had nexus devices. My Nexus 4 and 5 both seemed immune to it. So I blame vendor skins.

Over time you also install new apps, and they eat system resources (RAM especially). Try uninstalling the apps and see if that fixes it.

I usually reboot my phone first thing in the morning. And run DU Battery Optimise, Fast Reboot and Cleaner (memory boost)... My phone never lags. But I am using Note 2.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    I have seen the lag-over-time problem before, but not since I have had nexus devices. My Nexus 4 and 5 both seemed immune to it. So I blame vendor skins.

Over time you also install new apps, and they eat system resources (RAM especially). Try uninstalling the apps and see if that fixes it.

Hoping my experience is similar with my N4. I do plan to flash an XDA rom onto it.

My old LG G2x was perpetually stuck at 2.3 Gingerbread no thanks to LG and required a rom flash to even get ICS. I didn't have too many apps installed on it aside from Waze, Mr. Coffee Card, ES File Explorer, and a few other staples. I generally always had somewhere between 40-50% of my RAM available. But man...after a year of use, it started lagging. Flashing a new rom would make things fast and slick only for a while. But then it would start lagging again and I'd have to rinse and repeat by clearing the cache and installing a different rom.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Jayden Nembahe View Post
    I usually reboot my phone first thing in the morning. And run DU Battery Optimise, Fast Reboot and Cleaner (memory boost)... My phone never lags. But I am using Note 2.

Does rebooting clear anything? I may give DU Battery a try. Juice Defender seems to be great only for turning off my HSPA+ radio when the screen's off.

Quote Originally Posted by jackadillo View Post
    Does rebooting clear anything? I may give DU Battery a try. Juice Defender seems to be great only for turning off my HSPA+ radio when the screen's off.
    Yes, it does. All apps that run in the background shut down. Plus I just prefer rebooting my phone every morning when I wake up. Also with DU Battery you can configure which apps boot up with the phone. So I disable apps that I don't want to automatically start during a reboot.

There is also an app in the playstore called clean master that's quite good at cleaning the cache and other junk

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

I've never needed to use this on my Nexus devices, but I use it all the time on older phones and on my tablets. It works very very well, and it very fast...the whole process is like 3 seconds.

It's free.

It basically forces all apps in memory to exit and immediately restarts them. So any memory leaks or whatever are cleared out. All you do is tap the icon and it runs and clears it immediatly (no menus or anything). I have never had any problems with any apps it has restarted either.

The effect is immediate. If it works at all, you will see the speed increase immediately.
    Thanked by:
    jackadillo likes this.

Use Greenify. Also clear apps from the Recent Apps menu (this will actually free up RAMs).
    Thanked by:

Buy Moto X. Problem solved.
    United States Air Force
    Thanked by 3:
    Ry, tr-1, A895 and 1 others like this.

Global Posts
    5,531 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by turb0wned View Post
    Buy Moto X. Problem solved.
    TRIM ftw!

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever

Global Posts
    5,531 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    Use Greenify. Also clear apps from the Recent Apps menu (this will actually free up RAMs).
    RAM is random access memory

Quote Originally Posted by jackadillo View Post
    I'm sure many of us had the experience of owning a phone that started lagging after several months of use. Apps like Chrome and even the launcher would take ages to load. Reflashing the rom seems to solve the problem until it starts lagging again a while later.

Any ideas? Some say it's the . Android 4.3 seems to solve this problem as many Nexus 7 first generation owners reported vastly improved performance after they updated to 4.3. Trim support seems to really go a long way with garbage collection.

Others say it's the cache that needs clearing over time.

Any thoughts? I have a Nexus 4 I bought secondhand and I'd rather that it not face these problems. Hoping I don't run into any lag later down the road as I did with my old LG G2x.
    As the article linked alludes to, it has a lot to do with the fragmentation in the file system which causes the OS (and storage controller) to have to work harder accessing needed files. The TRIM command included in 4.3 is supposed to help by periodically defragmenting the file system. For older pre-4.3 devices (or even heavily fragmented 4.3 or later ones), the only way to do that is a master factory reset or re-flashing a ROM.

Personally, I've found a good way to minimize/prevent lag in the first place is to keep fragmentation low on a device by reducing churn caused by app installation/removal, OS updates, and files written/deleted to storage. I start by highly minimizing installed apps (only those I absolutely need/use), turning off auto-updating in Google Play and being very selective with app updates (only install them if there's a justifiable reason to do so). I also turn off OS updates by disabling the OTA updater (unfortunately there's no native control for that and requires root access to do). Finally, about once a month I'll clear the system cache (via the recovery menu).

So far after a year, there's no noticeable lag on my Note 2 (stock OEM Touch Wiz with Jelly Bean 4.1.1). Ditto for my Note 10.1 after nine months (stock OEM Touch Wiz with Jelly Bean 4.1.2).
    Thanked by 2:
    jackadillo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    RAM is random access memory

Even iPad run out of RAM using Google Earth.

sent via tapatalk

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts

Lag over time shouldn't be an issue since Android4.3 with TRIM Support and now with 4.4 being more aggressive with RAM management I think Android is done with lag and that is now something due simply to a poorly optimized OEM skin.

Haven't had any lag on my GS4 Octa, and it seems even snappier now on Android4.4.2 Kitkat, I expect it to continue operating like this for a long time to come.

Your Nexus 4 won't lag, that would be VERY odd if it did, especially if you're on Android4.3 or higher.
    Samsung GALAXY S 4 32GB Exynos Octa Black Mist
    Samsung GALAXY S II 16GB Ceramic White
    Apple iPad4 WiFi+3G/LTE 16GB
    Thanked by:
    jackadillo likes this.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

A lot of interesting info and tips posted here. It's all very helpful. Thanks for the app recs!

I'll probably hold onto the N4 for 1.5-2 years and do regular maintenance as needed. Trim support sounds like it'll be a godsend compared to what I had with the G2x.

My only worry at this point is whether my phone will get Android 4.5. It's currently on 4.4.2 and was released on mid-November of 2012. If it's truly the case 4.5 is releasing July of this year, that puts this device outside of Google's official 18-month window. Hopefully the good people at XDA can do a port somehow!!
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,182 Global Posts

Motorola uses F2FS in the and which is designed to be better optimized for use on NAND flash based storage.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    A895 and UJ95x like this.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Motorola uses F2FS in the and which is designed to be better optimized for use on NAND flash based storage.
    It surprises me more XDA devs aren't trying to get this feature into their kernels.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,182 Global Posts

Also, F2FS was in Motorola's Android 4.2.2 Moto X build, which is why I felt like 4.3 (and 4.4) weren't big steps for the Moto X.

Posted via Android Central App
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    A895 and UJ95x like this.

Global Posts
    5,531 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    Even iPad run out of RAM using Google Earth.

sent via tapatalk
    How is that relevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Extremely informative. Now I know why the Moto X performs so well over time.

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App

Global Posts
    4,242 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Only install what you use.

Had samsung phones when I used android and never an issue except the first S.

So many android apps auto start or install services and over time a lot of users install more and more apps which makes it get worse over time.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    Synycalwon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    Only install what you use.

Had samsung phones when I used android and never an issue except the first S.

So many android apps auto start or install services and over time a lot of users install more and more apps which makes it get worse over time.

Things like that is what Clean Master is for. A lot of apps put folders unknowingly I'm the devices storage and when you get rid of the app the folder stays. Clean Master will tell show you if apps left huge folders of when you uninstall and app it let's you know the app left some stuff, and asks if you want it deleted,

Every since 4.3 I have never experienced any lag and I never shutdown/restart my N7 or MotoX. Google added some sort of "cache scrubber" or "defrag" utility that automatically cleans up the system (it's called TRIM I think... you can Google to see how it works). In fact, my 2012 N7 got a LOT faster after about a day. As fast as it was out of the box or even better.
    So unless you are running an older version of OS or some heavily bloated Android, I don't think you should monkey around with it because it should just work.

Global Posts
    4,242 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Default What causes Android phones to lag over time?

Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    Things like that is what Clean Master is for. A lot of apps put folders unknowingly I'm the devices storage and when you get rid of the app the folder stays. Clean Master will tell show you if apps left huge folders of when you uninstall and app it let's you know the app left some stuff, and asks if you want it deleted,

I'm talking about installed apps not folders left by apps you uninstalled. And installing yet another app doesn't really help the situation. It's a pain to have to worry about managing orphan folders and crap like that.

On any case that's part of the reason why I never installed any apps.

Synycalwon likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast