Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Play Connection Timed Out Retry Error

On both my Moto X and my Nexus 7 (2012), when I try to open up Google Play, it spins for a while and then I get a Connection Timed Out / Retry error. I first noticed it yesterday. I tried clearing the Google Play cache, and then the data. I finally removed my Google (gmail) account and put it back, which I think temporarily fixed the phone (but not the tablet), and today the phone is back to the same problem. Everything else is working, including Gmail, Play Music, Play Books, etc., it's only the Play Store that I can't open. App updates are still working, and I can get into the My Apps section of the Play Store by tapping on an app update from the Notifications, but from there I can't get back to the main Play Store screen, it just times out like it does if I open up Google Play directly. Both devices are totally stock.

Someone else has reported the same problem in a couple of the device forums (Galaxy Note 3 and Galaxy Tab, I think), but this seems to be a more general problem, not device specific, so I thought I'd post it here in case anyone else has seen it and has a fix.

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts

Default Re: Google Play Connection Timed Out Retry Error

I keep getting the same error the last few days on my Evo LTE.

I've been getting the same error and I tried something totally off the wall and it worked. It doesn't fix the problem but it does get me into the play store. Hit the search anyway even though it says "retry" and type in any word to search. See if it will bring up a list or the app you searched for. From there you might be able to play around and finally get into the main screen.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by kokiangel View Post
    I've been getting the same error and I tried something totally off the wall and it worked. It doesn't fix the problem but it does get me into the play store. Hit the search anyway even though it says "retry" and type in any word to search. See if it will bring up a list or the app you searched for. From there you might be able to play around and finally get into the main screen.
    I can also search, and I can usually get to My Apps, but cannot get to the Store Home.

Quote Originally Posted by readhpr View Post
    I can also search, and I can usually get to My Apps, but cannot get to the Store Home.
    Give this a try. Settings, Apps, All, tap the 3 dots in the upper right, Reset Preferences.

Another thing to try is Reset Date and Time even if they are correct, tap the reset button. Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    Give this a try. Settings, Apps, All, tap the 3 dots in the upper right, Reset Preferences.

Another thing to try is Reset Date and Time even if they are correct, tap the reset button. Good luck.
    Nope, doesn't help.

Go back in the Play store app. Settings. Password. Is that box checked? Try retyping your password.

If that didn't work, go back into phone Settings. Apps. Scroll to Google Play Store apps. If the Defaults button is not grayed out, tap Clear Defaults.

And of course, the App should not be disabled.

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Go back in the Play store app. Settings. Password. Is that box checked? Try retyping your password.
    Didn't help.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

If that didn't work, go back into phone Settings. Apps. Scroll to Google Play Store apps. If the Defaults button is not grayed out, tap Clear Defaults.

And of course, the App should not be disabled.
    Defaults button is grayed out. (Possibly because I previously cleared all the data and removed my account and put it back, none of which has helped). And no, of course the app is not disabled.

Other than shutting the phone completely off, doing a battery pull if you have removable battery, and then turning the phone back on, I can't think what else to suggest. Please let us know what does resolve the situation.

Angry Re: Google Play Connection Timed Out Retry Error

Having the same issue on both my Verizon Moto X (MotoMaker) and Nexus 7 tablet. It's been about a week with the issue of "Connection Timed Out", I was able to temporarily fix it by doing the clock fix (changing time) but it goes right back to the error after the app is closed. Frustrating
    m.c.rime likes this.

I'm getting the same error. It was fine yesterday. Sprint Galaxy s3. None of the fixes have worked for me either.

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

I am also having this problem with my Moto X and Wifi Xoom - I am keeping track of things on my blog. So far I have found 2 posts (this one and another) - once I found I was not alone with the issue, I stopped looking so hard.

Global Posts
    670 Global Posts

Same issue for my devices in the past week or so. (N5, N7 FHD, N4, Toshiba Thrive.) Frustrating. Hope this gets fixed soon. Isn't it in Google's interest to make sure their Play Store opens easily to encourage people to buy content??

I already had 2 google accounts on my phone and switching between them in the Play store seemed to fix the issue for now. I didn't need to remove the primary account. Just add a second Google account to the phone and switch to that in the store. If that connects fine then switch it back to your main account see if that fixes it.

Global Posts
    1,509 Global Posts
    ROM
    HTC One stock

I have noticed mine acting up for at least the last 3 days. Have to force stop and power off then put my foot on a wall to get it to work. frustrating
    Blackberry Curve 8330 - Blackberry Storm 2 9550 - iPod Touch 4th gen - Apple Iphone 4 - Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX HD Motorola RAZR HD (wife) - HTC One

Global Posts
    1,509 Global Posts
    ROM
    HTC One stock

Read on a similar thread Google was putting out a fix, I have not seen it yet

Posted via Android Central App nexus 7
    Blackberry Curve 8330 - Blackberry Storm 2 9550 - iPod Touch 4th gen - Apple Iphone 4 - Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX HD Motorola RAZR HD (wife) - HTC One

I am using a HTC One on Sprint and this started happening to me after the update to Kit Kat. Every once in a while I can get to the store home page but probably 90% of the time I get the timed out message. The store works from any other page, I just can't get to the home page. I've done a full reset, cleared cash, preferences, etc. Nothing works.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Someone posted on another thread in one of the device forums some instructions from Google support. I just tried it and it's actually working for me, at least at the moment.

1. Reboot the device.
    2. Sign out of Hangouts. (Open it up, go into the Settings, and you can sign out from there.)
    3. Open up Hangouts again and sign in.
    4. Go to Settings -> Apps - > All -> Google Play Store and clear the Cache.

Open up the Play Store and cross your fingers. I initially got the timeout/connection error, but I hit Retry and it worked. I have closed and reopened the Play Store a few times (clearing it from the Task switcher), and so far all is well.

Global Posts
    1,509 Global Posts
    ROM
    HTC One stock

that seemed to work for a while, then the next day it was broken again

Sort of worked for me, I can hit refresh 5 or 6 times now and get the home page. Just did the steps about an hour ago, I'll try again tomorrow.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Someone posted on another thread in one of the device forums some instructions from Google support. I just tried it and it's actually working for me, at least at the moment.

1. Reboot the device.
    2. Sign out of Hangouts. (Open it up, go into the Settings, and you can sign out from there.)
    3. Open up Hangouts again and sign in.
    4. Go to Settings -> Apps - > All -> Google Play Store and clear the Cache.

Open up the Play Store and cross your fingers. I initially got the timeout/connection error, but I hit Retry and it worked. I have closed and reopened the Play Store a few times (clearing it from the Task switcher), and so far all is well.
    I did the above at work, and when I came home tonight it seemed broken again. After hitting "Retry" a few times it seems to be working again. Will see what happens tomorrow.

It worked for me too, on my Galaxy Tab 3. Don't know if it was the rebooting or the logging out of/into Hangouts, but Play Store is working again for now worked for a minute and then immediately stopped working again. I'll try clearing the cache too.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

I did the above at work, and when I came home tonight it seemed broken again. After hitting "Retry" a few times it seems to be working again. Will see what happens tomorrow.
    It's broken again today. I am about ready to give up.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast