Why is the Nexus 5 such a big hit?

lexfrancis

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I feel like it has all this hype because of the aftermath of the nexus 4. That was actually a brilliant phone, not just for the low price, it was brilliant, period. It was ahead of everything else in terms of specs, and the 16gb version cost me ?280. The slower s3 was about ?420 at the time. It didn't have an amazing camera or battery, but ?280! For the latest version of android on a phone with better intervals than anything else.

The nexus 5 however, is not ahead of everything else. It's matched by the g2 and xperia z1 in terms of specs, and the moto x performs just as smoothly. The 32gb version is ?340, my g2 did cost me ?430 last year, before the nexus came out, so I did pay too much. But the 32gb g2 can now be bought for ?380. So the nexus 5's value isn't that special. The price difference between the nexus 4 and s3 could not be justified. The ?40 difference between the g2 and nexus 5 can easily be justified; better camera, better battery life. So what exactly is the big deal about the nexus 5? Maybe the nexus 5's value for money is better in the US?

I can completely understand why someone may choose the nexus over the g2 or z1, if you're used to stock android, you'd hate the g2's skin. But the nexus offers nothing in that department that you can't get by rooting any other phone, I installed xposed on my g2. There are loads of practical advantages that the moto x and the g2 offer that stock 4.4 does not, in terms of both hardware and software. What practical advantages does stock 4.4 offer that they don't?

Sent from my LG-D802 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I feel like it has all this hype because of the aftermath of the nexus 4. That was actually a brilliant phone, not just for the low price, it was brilliant, period. It was ahead of everything else in terms of specs, and the 16gb version cost me ?280. The slower s3 was about ?420 at the time. It didn't have an amazing camera or battery, but ?280! For the latest version of android on a phone with better intervals than anything else.

The nexus 5 however, is not ahead of everything else. It's matched by the g2 and xperia z1 in terms of specs, and the moto x performs just as smoothly. The 32gb version is ?340, my g2 did cost me ?430 last year, before the nexus came out, so I did pay too much. But the 32gb g2 can now be bought for ?380. So the nexus 5's value isn't that special. The price difference between the nexus 4 and s3 could not be justified. The ?40 difference between the g2 and nexus 5 can easily be justified; better camera, better battery life. So what exactly is the big deal about the nexus 5? Maybe the nexus 5's value for money is better in the US?

I can completely understand why someone may choose the nexus over the g2 or z1, if you're used to stock android, you'd hate the g2's skin. But the nexus offers nothing in that department that you can't get by rooting any other phone, I installed xposed on my g2. There are loads of practical advantages that the moto x and the g2 offer that stock 4.4 does not, in terms of both hardware and software. What practical advantages does stock 4.4 offer that they don't?

Nexus 5 is not a big hit. It's big on tech blogs and the internet, but in real life (in the U.S. at least) its one of the most unpopular flagships. At least I have seen a Moto X and HTC One out in the wild. I have seen maybe 3 Nexii and 2 were Nexus 4s and one Galaxy Nexus in the almost two years I have been in Atlanta. Don't let the internet fool you, Nexus phones aren't popular with consumers. Its popular here (the internet) because hardcore fans of android favor stock android and fast updates. They also like the cheaper prices nexus devices hit.

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Why is the nexus 5 such a big hit?

Aside from the fact it's an excellent phone and gets updates without delay it's carrier unlocked which is a big deal for those of us who want prepaid service without being locked into a contract. The freedom that comes with the Nexus 5 is priceless.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

1. Speed of updates
2. The fact that since these are considered developer devices, they are VERY difficult to brick.

lexfrancis

May 25, 2013
Visit site

Aside from the fact it's an excellent phone and gets updates without delay it's carrier unlocked which is a big deal for those of us who want prepaid service without being locked into a contract. The freedom that comes with the Nexus 5 is priceless.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah when I said the g2 was ?380, that was for the unlocked version. The moto x is also pretty good value off contract.

Quick updates is sometimes a good thing, but it's usually just the benefit of higher numbers. Stock 4.4 isn't actually any better than jelly bean on the g2. It just looks better.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

Quick updates is sometimes a good thing, but it's usually just the benefit of higher numbers. Stock 4.4 isn't actually any better than jelly bean on the g2. It just looks better.

Remember that we don't know what's in store for the future, though. The jump from Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich was pretty significant.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Yeah when I said the g2 was ?380, that was for the unlocked version. The moto x is also pretty good value off contract.

It also runs a lot better than my 4.1 jellybean phone. I love the lack of bloatware on my Nexus. Even though there isn't much of it that's visible through the Apex launcher on the other phone, I can see all the stuff they added that I never use in the Application manager. And that one is lagging like crazy now, and having crashes. I only had it a month longer than my Nexus. Granted it's only a dual core with much weaker specs than my Nexus, but with the heavier bloat on other phones even with more RAM and power, those still lag after a while too, apparently. I would be very surprised if my Nexus ever developed lag.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Nexus phones are popular in the developer community but that's about it. I have only seen one Nexus 5 in the wild since it was released

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

lexfrancis

May 25, 2013
Visit site

It also runs a lot better than my 4.1 jellybean phone. I love the lack of bloatware on my Nexus. Even though there isn't much of it that's visible through the Apex launcher on the other phone, I can see all the stuff they added that I never use in the Application manager. And that one is lagging like crazy now, and having crashes. I only had it a month longer than my Nexus. Granted it's only a dual core with much weaker specs than my Nexus, but with the heavier bloat on other phones even with more RAM and power, those still lag after a while too, apparently. I would be very surprised if my Nexus ever developed lag.

Everyone says that these new flagship phones, nexus 5, iPhone, g2, moto x, htc one, never lag. They might be smooth 90% of the time but you always notice them stutter here and there. They're never 100% flawless. My nexus 4 rarely stuttered, it even happens rarely on the iPhone 5s, it's about the same on my g2. I don't believe the nexus 5 is any better. The s4 is the only flagship that lags because of bloatware.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Everyone says that these new flagship phones, nexus 5, iPhone, g2, moto x, htc one, never lag. They might be smooth 90% of the time but you always notice them stutter here and there. They're never 100% flawless. My nexus 4 rarely stuttered, it even happens rarely on the iPhone 5s, it's about the same on my g2. I don't believe the nexus 5 is any better. The s4 is the only flagship that lags because of bloatware.

Never saw my Moto X stutter. Chrome on the other hand stutters here and there, but Chrome is not that good on most phones.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

There's a difference between apps which are written by all different devs stuttering or lagging and an OS lagging. My Nexus has had only two times something I did caused a momentary hiccup. It's still lag free and only unpolished apps stutter.

lexfrancis

May 25, 2013
Visit site

Never saw my Moto X stutter. Chrome on the other hand stutters here and there, but Chrome is not that good on most phones.

That's where I've seen it stutter. Play newsstand also lags a lot. And the gel launcher lagged for some reason. It's like this phone doesn't get along with Google.

lexfrancis

May 25, 2013
Visit site

There's a difference between apps which are written by all different devs stuttering or lagging and an OS lagging. My Nexus has had only two times something I did caused a momentary hiccup. It's still lag free and only unpolished apps stutter.

Right. Apps are mainly where I notice the little lag there is.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Right. Apps are mainly where I notice the little lag there is.

Me too. None of the ones I use were written on KitKat and ART, so I notice a lot of little glitches with them. (Most probably glitch to varying degrees on the other versions of Android too considering the variety of manufacturer and carrier modifications to Android.)

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

But I should add it's a non problem since everything works and my N5 is the smoothest, most powerful computer I've ever had. I doubt there's a way to eliminate stuttery apps since then you'd have to eliminate the freedom of having independent devs writing and creating apps.

lexfrancis

May 25, 2013
Visit site

But I should add it's a non problem since everything works and my N5 is the smoothest, most powerful computer I've ever had. I doubt there's a way to eliminate stuttery apps since then you'd have to eliminate the freedom of having independent devs writing and creating apps.

My point was that, while it may be the most powerful phone you've used, it isn't more powerful or smooth than some of the alternatives, and it's camera and battery come second to all of them, and it isn't that much cheaper. For me, it'd need to be cheaper by more than ?10-60 to make it worth sacrificing the better hardware. The nexus 4 wasn't just more powerful than every alternative, but it was also at least ?100 cheaper. So it seemed weird to me that the nexus 5 is as successful, if not more successful than the nexus 4.

Someone on this thread mentioned that it's popular among developers/people who like to mod things, because stock android is ideal for them. That would explain why it seems so popular on the internet.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

I have a Nexus 5. Here are the reasons why I like it:

- Blazingly fast.
- Vanilla Android.
- Full 1080p display.
- Beautifully calibrated display.
- Inexpensive at $350.
- Fastest updates, second to none.
- Easy to unlock, easy to root.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

My point was that, while it may be the most powerful phone you've used, it isn't more powerful or smooth than some of the alternatives, and it's camera and battery come second to all of them, and it isn't that much cheaper. For me, it'd need to be cheaper by more than ?10-60 to make it worth sacrificing the better hardware. The nexus 4 wasn't just more powerful than every alternative, but it was also at least ?100 cheaper. So it seemed weird to me that the nexus 5 is as successful, if not more successful than the nexus 4.

Someone on this thread mentioned that it's popular among developers/people who like to mod things, because stock android is ideal for them. That would explain why it seems so popular on the internet.

Well, for you I guess it's not a popular phone. I guess you have a different set of choices than we do in the states. For me it's the best phone I could have, mainly because for me it was more affordable than the other popular flagship phones and because I prefer pure Google (which is already sort of loaded with stuff in my opinion) and prompt updates, etc. If you aren't into that, it's not the best phone for you, obviously.

sgt50

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

I think because its not loaded with all the other crap that comes on carrier sold devices.