1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Help for new tablet

Hey everyone,
    Today I really need help finding a new android device, a tablet specifically. My Dad has an older HP android tablet, yes a very old tablet. His birthday is coming up and I thought the perfect gift for him would be a new tablet. This is Mostly because I can no longer listen to the constant complaints about the quality of the device. The main reason I am asking a large group is to get the best opinions on what I am looking for. I recently got the Nexus 7 and I popped the question, "Why don't you just purchase this, its great?" His response, because it was to small. He is a little older and is looking for some key features. Some are A bigger screen so he can see, a reliable device that will last a longer amount of time and of course battery life. These are some of the main things I am looking for, for him and I hope you guys could help out. Appreciate it.
    Joe

Default Re: Help for new tablet

Welcome to Android Central! Do you think he'd want a 10" tablet, or would an 8" be about right? The LG G Pad 8.3 is good. For 10 inchers, the outgoing Nexus 10 is still an excellent choice, and can be found for around $350 refurbished on various sites.

There are, of course the various Samsung Tabs and Notes. What key features is he looking for? That may help people give you good recommendations.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

thanks for the reply. He just wants a bigger tablet overall. Pretty much he does not want anything that will crap out battery wise, something that he does not have to reboot every hour.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

and probs a 10'

So basically a 10" tablet with a good screen? Lots of choices out there that won't break the bank. The 10" 16 GB Asus MeMO Pad FHD goes for about $240, and the Lenovo S6000 goes for around $220. You can find older Asus Transformer tablets for <$200, but these are slower in comparison. The good Samsung Galaxy Tabs are going to be more expensive, so if your father isn't interested in a lot of bells and whistles, they might not be worthwhile.

Whatever you do, please avoid lesser-known brands like Coby, Sylvania, Polaroid, etc. They may be cheap, but quality will be lacking, support will be close to nonexistent, and Dad will be unhappy.

Here's a site that has a 16 GB Nexus 10 for $330, new (not refurbished), free shipping.

Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Ok thanks so much. At this point along with all the other features I have told you about he wants a Google tablet. A Google tablet with all the features I listed. What would you reccomend?

A Google tablet? You mean an Android tablet, or one actually made by Google (i.e., a Nexus device)? On this Android forum, we're generally assuming that you're interested in discussing Android devices.

The features you've listed are simply a 10" screen, good battery life, and reliable performance. I don't have any other recommendations other than what I've already posted, unless you have any other specific criteria.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I think im going with the nexus 10. thanks

Nice. It's a terrific tablet--the one caution is that there is no expandable memory, and 16 GB means there is actually about 12 GB available to the user (since around 4 GB is needed for the OS). That's plenty of room for most people, but he won't be able to store tons of music or videos locally (which is the main advantage of having a microSD card).