An Android User's Open Letter to the iPhone

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Dear Black Sprint iPhone 5 16GB,

Thank you for the past couple of weeks you and I have been able to spend together. It's been a time of great growth for the both of us. I know that you have taught me many things about how a phone should work. Hopefully I was able to show you new and exciting things as well. Though I'm afraid our time is drawing to an end, I do say I understand you better, and I have grown to appreciate some misunderstandings I had.

First and foremost, you are a great phone, and I mean that. I've used a lot of different phones throughout the years, and I must say, you make calls and send text messages better than any phone I have had, and your build quality is exceptional. It seems silly, but you have given me a confidence in my communication that no other phone has done yet. I'm not sure how you are able to send messages and make calls so much better than anyone else because it seems so fundamental to the smartphone world, but you nailed it. Thank you.

Also, Siri, thank you for the wonderful conversations and all the helpful information. It is great to have a voice assistant as deeply integrated as you. As an Android user, I appreciate your sense of humor most, but your entire personality is what really sets you apart from the crowd

Your battery - well, we both know you have incredible stamina, even when we're going at it hard. Thank you for holding your charge through pictures and data and phone calls and texts day in and day out. I rarely felt the need to top your charge off, and when I did, I was blown away at how quickly you were back up and raring to go. It taught me what real endurance is, and I think it may be what I will miss most about you.

But alas, it feels like we are growing in different directions. You have become very safe - you do what you do, and you do it damn well. I, on the other hand, like to live on the bleeding edge. I consume media at what only years ago would have seemed like an alarming rate. It's difficult keeping up with such a tiny screen, and unless I am instagramming, your pictures seem less than accurate.

I also have a hard time with your keyboard. For a two thumbed keyboard, yours is excellent, but unfortunately, two thumbed keyboards are going the way of the Zune. Swype and keyboards like it allow me to do more with less. It's efficient and I really like it. I know now that it is a very important thing in my life, and you can't offer it to me. I'm sorry.

I guess as it stands now, I see you as more of a feature phone. You make phone calls and send messages like a boss, but I really don't want to do anything else because squinting at your screen is giving me wrinkles and typing on your keyboard takes both hands off the steering wheel (okay kids, that joke wasn't funny - don't text and drive). I am more mature now in my needs for a smartphone, and you haven't kept up with me. And really, you are great, this is just a thing I am going through. Perhaps you'll grow too and we can get back together, but right now, we just weren't meant to be. I'm going back to my HTC One.

Thank you for everything, and I know you'll make someone on Craigslist a very happy Sprint customer.

Sincerely,

MstrBlueSkys

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only one who find Siri's sarcastic, know-it-all attitude and voice annoying? I would never want a girlfriend like that. Google Now is straight the point yet unassuming and I prefer that.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Am I the only one who find Siri's sarcastic, know-it-all attitude and voice annoying? I would never want a girlfriend like that. Google Now is straight the point yet unassuming and I prefer that.

You and a few others, but as for me Siri is great. Regarding the OPs post, nice piece, I find it interesting that your complaints revolve around the screen size more than anything else. If more feel like you, Apple's purported screen size increase if a reality may do them well this year.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
You and a few others, but as for me Siri is great. Regarding the OPs post, nice piece, I find it interesting that your complaints revolve around the screen size more than anything else. If more feel like you, Apple's purported screen size increase if a reality may do them well this year.

I do have to say that I'm with you - I think Siri is head and shoulders above Google from just an enjoyable experience. Also, for whatever reason, I have an easier time if I feel like I'm talking with someone instead of asking something out loud.

Yeah, screen size was a huge deterrent for me. I could have put in a lot about the notifications too - I probably should have, but I didn't want it to get too long. Android has notifications nailed compared to Apple.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I do have to say that I'm with you - I think Siri is head and shoulders above Google from just an enjoyable experience. Also, for whatever reason, I have an easier time if I feel like I'm talking with someone instead of asking something out loud.

Yeah, screen size was a huge deterrent for me. I could have put in a lot about the notifications too - I probably should have, but I didn't want it to get too long. Android has notifications nailed compared to Apple.

Yeh it is a point worth mentioning. I use an iPhone 5 and a Nexus 7 so I sort of get the best of both worlds. I would go so far as to say iOS notifications are useless. I use it even less in iOS 7 because it is on the second page. In fact I swipe down only for the 'today menu' much like I swipe up to see what's on Google Now on my Nexus.

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeh it is a point worth mentioning. I use an iPhone 5 and a Nexus 7 so I sort of get the best of both worlds. I would go so far as to say iOS notifications are useless. I use it even less in iOS 7 because it is on the second page. In fact I swipe down only for the 'today menu' much like I swipe up to see what's on Google Now on my Nexus.

If I could always have wifi, or if my tablet had data, I would probably look a lot like you. I think the iPhone is a great size if you're using it as a phone, and I can fit the Nexus 7 into the pockets on my jeans, and really would prefer that for media consumption anyway.

blacksapphire08

May 2, 2010
Visit site

I dont understand why Apple doesnt make 3 models: iPhone classic with 3.5" screen meant to be entry level, standard iPhone with 4" screen, and iPhone XL with a 4.7-5.0" screen. Covers all the bases.

Posted via Android Central App

Amia BooMaster

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I dont understand why Apple doesnt make 3 models: iPhone classic with 3.5" screen meant to be entry level, standard iPhone with 4" screen, and iPhone XL with a 4.7-5.0" screen. Covers all the bases.

Not even that just make them all five inches. Leave the original as a base model.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

Part of it (at least till now) had to do with developers. Part of the appeal for developing for the iPhone was that you only had two platforms to deal with...phone and tablet. the resolutions were all the same. Adding a phablet means an additional platform to code for.

abazigal

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Because it's Apple, and that's exactly why they are loved and hated by so many people. They just don't care a damn what everyone else is doing.