Should I worry about the internet?

ahawkua

Banned
Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
since net neutrality is done for I am worried that the internet will end up sucking and that internet service providers will start blocking a lot of content and making it to where we don't have an open internet anymore. should I worry about this? will internet service providers block a lot of content like social sites and things? please help thanks.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: should I worry about the internet?

since net neutrality is done for I am worried that the internet will end up sucking and that internet service providers will start blocking a lot of content and making it to where we don't have an open internet anymore. should I worry about this? will internet service providers block a lot of content like social sites and things? please help thanks.

Not sure what you mean by "since net neutrality is done". It was never a law or ever enforceable. Its only been discussed and debated over in the USA.

Net neutrality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is only one instance where a country actually put serious effort into this.

Law in Chile
On 13 June 2010, the National Congress of Chile, amended its telecommunications law in order to preserve network neutrality, becoming the first country in the world to do so. This came after an intensive campaign on blogs, Twitter, and other social networks.
The law, published on 26 August 2010, added three articles to the General Law of Telecommunications, forbidding ISPs from arbitrarily blocking, interfering with, discriminating, hindering or restricting an Internet user's right to use, send, receive or offer any legal content, application, service or any other type of legal activity or use through the Internet. To that effect ISPs must offer Internet access in which content is not arbitrarily treated differently based on its source or ownership.

ahawkua

Banned
Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Not sure what you mean by "since net neutrality is done". It was never a law or ever enforceable. Its only been discussed and debated over in the USA.

Net neutrality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is only one instance where a country actually put serious effort into this.

Law in Chile
On 13 June 2010, the National Congress of Chile, amended its telecommunications law in order to preserve network neutrality, becoming the first country in the world to do so. This came after an intensive campaign on blogs, Twitter, and other social networks.
The law, published on 26 August 2010, added three articles to the General Law of Telecommunications, forbidding ISPs from arbitrarily blocking, interfering with, discriminating, hindering or restricting an Internet user's right to use, send, receive or offer any legal content, application, service or any other type of legal activity or use through the Internet. To that effect ISPs must offer Internet access in which content is not arbitrarily treated differently based on its source or ownership.

So you don't think internet service providers will start blocking and discriminating other sites?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

So you don't think internet service providers will start blocking and discriminating other sites?

As of right now, nobody is doing anything. But right now there is a possibility, as shown with Netflix that some internet providers are considering slowing streaming unless they are paid to increase speeds.

ahawkua

Banned
Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

As of right now, nobody is doing anything. But right now there is a possibility, as shown with Netflix that some internet providers are considering slowing streaming unless they are paid to increase speeds.

Do you think they'll ever block certain websites or apps?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Do you think they'll ever block certain websites or apps?

Not block but slow the connection to. Then those sites that see slower connection lose memberships and visitors forcing them to pay the internet providers to speed up their connection to their website.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

If they decided that, they will lose a lot of customers. There are plenty of alternative subscriptions and they know it. Unless the bunch of them decided to come together and do it. A lot of people will be pissed, even people who aren't tech savvy.

I think there is a bit over reaction, but it's still something to follow closely. If it is an add on service like paying extra for bandwidth or speed, then it actually enhances the service. They couldn't possibly be dumb enough to limit speed, unless all four carriers band together and do it and leave consumers with no alternatives while the FCC become more spineless.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

If they decided that, they will lose a lot of customers. There are plenty of alternative subscriptions and they know it. Unless the bunch of them decided to come together and do it. A lot of people will be pissed, even people who aren't tech savvy.

I think there is a bit over reaction, but it's still something to follow closely. If it is an add on service like paying extra for bandwidth or speed, then it actually enhances the service. They couldn't possibly be dumb enough to limit speed, unless all four carriers band together and do it and leave consumers with no alternatives.

Actually Netflix already paid out:
http://mobile.theverge.com/2014/2/2...urnal-confirms-multiyear-traffic-deal-between

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
As long as it is to enhance a service, and no background throttling I am fine with it. I am on Comcast and have not had any issues with Netflix or HBO Go.... yet.

Its to make sure they don't get throttled. They had complaints of slower speeds or fear of slower speeds before:
http://mobile.theverge.com/2014/2/5...g-netflix-traffic-after-net-neutrality-ruling
http://mobile.theverge.com/2014/1/2...ustomer-action-if-isps-violate-net-neutrality

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

I believe any profit based system will abuse anything to procure new avenues of profit. It is completely possible it is already happening and wouldn't shock me at all. I think it will increase in activity once anyone makes a notable profit from it. Then as soon as the wealthy become effected it will start hitting the news, etc. But till there is a squeaky wheel there will be no progress toward protection from exploitation.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I believe any profit based system will abuse anything to procure new avenues of profit. It is completely possible it is already happening and wouldn't shock me at all. I think it will increase in activity once anyone makes a notable profit from it. Then as soon as the wealthy become effected it will start hitting the news, etc. But till there is a squeaky wheel there will be no progress toward protection from exploitation.

Then again while internet is freedom and part of free speech, nothing explicitly states we have a right to the internet. Really the ones who will be hurt the most is websites who can't afford to pay or startups.

ahawkua

Banned
Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Then again while internet is freedom and part of free speech, nothing explicitly states we have a right to the internet. Really the ones who will be hurt the most is websites who can't afford to pay or startups.

So if they do block a lot of sites do you think they're hear it from the public

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
So if they do block a lot of sites do you think they're hear it from the public

Depends on what sites and what people actually do. A lot of people just whine on the internet.

ahawkua

Banned
Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Depends on what sites and what people actually do. A lot of people just whine on the internet.

I'm so worried about this. Because I use the internet everyday and I don't want them blocking my access to sites and apps :/

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1